Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Automobile 2.0: Chevrolet Bolt EV vs Nissan LEAF vs Tesla Model 3 Long Range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay, I think you've got me. I do remember reading a quote from Musk when he was asked why he wasn't building something like a Honda Accord competitor and he indicated that Tesla was not interested in building slow or boring cars and had no plans to enter that kind of market.

I do see from this 2016 article that Musk insisted in Norway that Tesla's next car after the 3 was going to be a much more affordable car, but we now know that won't be coming soon as the next car they are working on getting released in the 2020 timeframe is the very expensive new generation Roadster.

Elon Musk says Tesla’s next car will be even cheaper than the Model 3

Wasn't he talking about the Model Y...before he was talked out of making a radically different vehicle (i.e. no 12 volt, CAN bus, and new manufacturing technique)?

Insightful review.. It always comes down to cost / benefit.

A few observations
  • Middle / Upper class white collar guys can easily give less weight to Costs (Purchase, Maintenance, Insurance) and other factors
  • The hip point for the rear seats in the Tesla looks pretty rough. The guy sitting in the seat had little / no thigh on the seat cushion.

Insightful review.. It always comes down to cost / benefit.

A few observations
  • Middle / Upper class white collar guys can easily give less weight to Costs (Purchase, Maintenance, Insurance) and other factors
  • The hip point for the rear seats in the Tesla looks pretty rough. The guy sitting in the seat had little / no thigh on the seat cushion.
Agree! That the rear seats look a oddly angled to me, which could be a problem since I need to fit 2 car seats back there - 1 infant and 1 front-facing convertible.

Incentives themselves distort the market..
This market is as distorted as a market can be, without government incentives. The oil industry (very unevenly distributed oil fields), military industrial complex (why are there in Japan and Germany so many big car manufacturers), geopolitical forces, gobal environmental effects, disastrous health effects to name just a few.

The model of full competition is a distant ideal for this market hence the government involvement. Too bad politicians do not always focus on making markets as competitive as can be. In fact the present administration does it's best to give the upcoming ev's as much disadvantage possible by taking away tax credits for ev's while maintaining billions of $ support for oil/gas/ice-cars.

Last edited:
Reactions: Runt8
mod note: 8 posts moved to snippiness.

Now it's my turn to be snippy. What is wrong with you guys? Stop calling each other names and discuss the topic like we're all sitting at a table together face to face. And remember that productive conversation means always leaving room for doubt, even when you feel absolutely sure about yourself.

<waits on this post being reported> :)

mod note: 8 posts moved to snippiness.

Now it's my turn to be snippy. What is wrong with you guys? Stop calling each other names and discuss the topic like we're all sitting at a table together face to face. And remember that productive conversation means always leaving room for doubt, even when you feel absolutely sure about yourself.

<waits on this post being reported> :)

Your avatar makes me think of Homer Simpson.

ROFL.

This market is as distorted as a market can be, without government incentives. The oil industry (very unevenly distributed oil fields), military industrial complex (why are there in Japan and Germany so many big car manufacturers), geopolitical forces, gobal environmental effects, disastrous health effects to name just a few.

The model of full competition is a distant ideal for this market hence the government involvement. Too bad politians do not always focus on making markets as competitive as can be. In fact the present administration does it's best to give the upcoming ev's as much a disadvantage as can be by taking away tax credits for ev's while maintaining billions of support for oil/gas/ice-cars.

You will notice I did not condemn incentives I just said that any incentive distorts the market. Any time there are incentives to push consumers towards one product over another the government is getting in the business of choosing winners and losers.

Same could be said for tax deductions, etc.

As I've said in previous posts, I'm not opposed to the incentive, and I'm disappointed it's going away for selfish reasons, however, I don't see the tax incentive helping out the .1% folks being something I can really get behind.

If the extremely well heeled want to buy a luxury car, I don't personally believe that the $7500 incentive is going to steer them towards a Tesla over a Bentley.

A new civic has a 5 year TCO quite close to a base model 3. (shown at about 8min 26 sec in the following vid)

Not necessarily. My insurance going from my Civic to a 3 would double. That's unacceptable to most people. The Model 3 is considered a luxury car by insurance adjusters, which means you're gonna pay luxury car insurance rates.

• Informative
Reactions: voip-ninja
Not necessarily. My insurance going from my Civic to a 3 would double. That's unacceptable to most people. The Model 3 is considered a luxury car by insurance adjusters, which means you're gonna pay luxury car insurance rates.

Insurance companies are already talking about discounts for cars with advanced driver assistance features. If Tesla gets FSD sorted out, or even a real Level 3 system along the way, surely the insurance company will take note of the reduced accident rates and adjust the price to match.

Insurance companies are already talking about discounts for cars with advanced driver assistance features. If Tesla gets FSD sorted out, or even a real Level 3 system along the way, surely the insurance company will take note of the reduced accident rates and adjust the price to match.

You don't know that this will happen, you are just optimistic that this will happen.

So far the small amount of information we have suggests that the Model 3 will be quite an expensive car to insure, more than say a similarly priced BMW or Audi that also has all of the safety bells and whistles.

You don't know that this will happen, you are just optimistic that this will happen.

So far the small amount of information we have suggests that the Model 3 will be quite an expensive car to insure, more than say a similarly priced BMW or Audi that also has all of the safety bells and whistles.

I thought I was quite clear that I stated a fact from internet articles and added an expectation from that fact and related ones. It is certainly true that I don't know what will happen in the future for certain.

What information supports your conclusion that it will be excessively expensive to insure?

That's dependent upon your insurer. It looks like my insurance will be very similar to my current car (which is a 9 year old Subaru STi), so if you're getting a quote saying your rate is doubling, I'd suggest shopping around.

I thought I was quite clear that I stated a fact from internet articles and added an expectation from that fact and related ones. It is certainly true that I don't know what will happen in the future for certain.

What information supports your conclusion that it will be excessively expensive to insure?

People have been reporting the quotes on insurance they have been getting from their providers and many of them are quite high.

• Disagree
Reactions: JenniferQ and EinSV
Rural areas away from interstates will be supported primarily with L2 AC charging at homes and businesses for quite some time just like they are today for Tesla drivers.
Tesla already has a fair number of Supercharger Stations in rural areas away from Interstates, with more to come next year. The ones I have used repeatedly include Farmington NM, Blanding UT, Moab UT and Price UT. Others I have used are Bend OR, Detroit Lake OR and Seaside OR. Haven't made it to Page AZ, but that's another rural Supercharger Station in this area. Coming soon is Poncha Springs CO (under construction and eagerly awaited by many here). On the coming soon list, just from my home area, are Alamosa CO, Kayenta AZ, Globe AZ, Steamboat Springs CO, Estes Park CO, Telluride CO, Montrose CO, and Aspen CO. Every one of those serves/will serve mostly rural areas away from Interstates, some of them very remote.

I'd say Tesla is doing quite well in serving rural areas away from Interstates; it was a factor in my decision to purchase my car.

That's dependent upon your insurer. It looks like my insurance will be very similar to my current car (which is a 9 year old Subaru STi), so if you're getting a quote saying your rate is doubling, I'd suggest shopping around.

I have checked. The best deal would be $100 less / year from that doubling. AKA $2000/year. To save more money, I'd have to reduce my coverage, something I'm not interested in. A single male in his early 20s is expensive to insure for, even with a spotless record.

People have been reporting the quotes on insurance they have been getting from their providers and many of them are quite high.

There have been numerous stories describing long repair times and waits for replacement parts. Both result in more time to repair which increases costs. Love Elon's spunk but dislike the communication style of Tesla. What has Tesla done to bring their vehicle repair costs and time in line with industry averages?

Things like this are my reason Tesla purchases should be a 'cautioned buy'. My order still stands and this site is a goldmine of information

People are buying vehicles that they really shouldn't be buying, financed by 9/10-year-long loans they really shouldn't be taking out. Take it as you wish, but by no means is the Model 3 an affordable car, even with the math that Tesla shows.

I don't consider the 3 an affordable car, and I have the means to buy a well-equipped S. Me getting a 3 would blow the price of other vehicles I've bought out of the sky (I recently bought a Civic for $19k the dealer wanted to get rid of - that's affordable).

I have found it is very misguided for strangers to assume what people should not be buying.
  • Interest rates are at a historical low (rates for auto loans have been as high as 13%-18% and were not considered predatory)
  • Vehicles have historically been increasing in their usable life where a 5-year old car was seen as a junker / trade candidate in the 70s
People in flyover states may think it is crazy for people in the SF Bay Area to pay $3000 / month for a studio apartment (400 sq ft) but millions willingly do so.

IS-fvtav2qsm9gd.jpg

Studio / 1 Bath Apartment in San Francisco CA | Carmel Rincon

Last edited:

Out of curiosity, I plugged in a Model X on USAA and got a quote for under $120/month on top of my existing vehicles. That's for $500,000 coverage, which is one step down from USAA's highest tier. I don't know what other people are getting for quotes, but this seems very reasonable to me.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, I plugged in a Model X on USAA and got a quote for under $120/month on top of my existing vehicles. That's for $500,000 coverage, which is one step down from USAA's highest tier. I don't know what other people are getting for quotes, but this seems very reasonable to me.

I hear great things about USAA but for those who can't join, the entry requirements are a bit steep :p