Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The Model 3 I want is getting pretty expensive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the option costs will generally mirror the S/X. I don't believe Tesla makes money on the base Model 3, and the options are the only way to make reasonable margins.

No reason to give discounts on a sold out car. No reason to make future S/X buyers feel ripped off.

There will be a ludicrous options but it will not be comparitable to the X and S speeds. From what I read i believe it was 0-60 in around 4 to 4.5 seconds. This is still fast especially for an entry level luxury mid-size sedan.

For those of you who have been on the TMC forum for a while you know Paul Carter. He has put together a Model 3 pricing spreadsheet with his estimates on what the various options will cost. He has used the data he had been collecting on the Model 3 to determine which options people will most likely put on the Model 3s. It is a work in progress and he has also updated http://Model3Tracker.info to reflect what is know about which options will most likely be available on the Model 3. For those who have entered their information in Model3Tracker you may want to log on and update your options now there is a rough estimate as to how much options will cost.

Here is a link to the thread with Paul's estimated options costs:

Model 3 Average Selling Price Predictions

We'll that could easily push it to $85k but the performance could be in the 3 second range which would be hard to touch at that cost and options with an ICE.

I think the top spec Model 3 will go 300 miles and 3 seconds 0-60. Has a nice ring to it: Model 3, 300 mi and 3 seconds. I don't think EM will hold back. He wants to embarrass everyone else and keep dragging ICE manufacturers into the future.

It's a gaurantee

Yep EM confirmed a ludicrous model 3 on Twitter. Someone specifically asked him if there would be a ludicrous option and he said 'of course!'

True, but they drink gasoline and won't give you that Tesla Grin when you hit the go pedal. They make weird noises and you have to goto these strange smelly, inconvenient, and unsafe 'gas stations'...

I'll take a Performance Tesla, any Tesla, any day. :)
Ok. Thanks Model S M.D.

I have a question - only because you are a 100D owner.

You took delivery of a 100D less than a month ago without the ability to posses or upgrade to the "now default" AP hardware. Would you have rather delayed your order for a month or have Tesla delay delivery for a month?

Having just bought an Audi a few years back, I knew what I was getting into. At least Tesla gives you the option to break many of their options into ala carte offerings, instead of having to purchase the prestige package like I did from Audi. o_O
Not nessarily. On both the Model X and S there are various packages and you can't buy the individual options without buying the package. For example is the Premium Option group which includes things like ventilated seats, upgraded interior, fog lights, LED interior lighting, HEPA filter and more. You can't buy these options individually.

There will be a ludicrous options but it will not be comparitable to the X and S speeds. From what I read i believe it was 0-60 in around 4 to 4.5 seconds. This is still fast especially for an entry level luxury mid-size sedan.
I respectfully disagree - I wouldn't be surprised if it matches the X/S or even exceeds it to an even faster 0-60. This is very common at brands like BMW where the "lower end" performance models can outdo larger cars, which are still fast by any measure, but not nearly as fast. The primary consideration here would be size and weight in my opinion. The lighter weight of the Model 3 should allow it to achieve greater acceleration. If the battery pack differs significantly, then it might be different, but generally speaking, it's easier to increase performance by shrinking size and weight rather than increasing power output.

I think the top spec Model 3 will go 300 miles and 3 seconds 0-60. Has a nice ring to it: Model 3, 300 mi and 3 seconds. I don't think EM will hold back. He wants to embarrass everyone else and keep dragging ICE manufacturers into the future.

Yep EM confirmed a ludicrous model 3 on Twitter. Someone specifically asked him if there would be a ludicrous option and he said 'of course!'
He has already said the Model 3 will be fast in the 4 to 4.5 range but will not be as fast as the Model S or X. In the same interview he said it will faster than a compartible BMW, that was the goal.

Not nessarily. On both the Model X and S there are various packages and you can't buy the individual options without buying the package. For example is the Premium Option group which includes things like ventilated seats, upgraded interior, fog lights, LED interior lighting, HEPA filter and more. You can't buy these options individually.

I think they're going to "bundle" even more with Model 3. You don't get "ease of manufacturing" if you have so many different possible permutations.

It will be so much easier for them to start off a week and say, "All Blue/AWD/PxxxD-Ls/Premium Interior/Pano roof/UHDS Model 3's in the Central region will be made this week (or run on the line until finished)....

than it would be to take the time to individualize everything per car.

Really though, we should research how Audi has done A4 and A5 manufacturing in recent years, as that's probably going to be a very good indicator of what Tesla will be doing.

They already "group" like configurations when producing the Model S and X. For example they made all P90D with Premium Option and Autopilot before they started on the P90D without these two option groups. Then they made all 90D with Premium Option and Autopilot before they started on the 90D without these two option groups. Then the made the 75D with these two option groups, then the 75D without these two options group. They already batch colors within these groups. Most of the features they put on every car and then they control whether the person has this option via software. That way later on if the person wants an option they can remotely add it but they charge extra if it is not done initially.

One advantage of having several hundred thousand cars reserved allows them the flexibility to do a lot of grouping and staging.

Even though there will be those who can only afford $35k and can't afford any options, I think there will a lot of people who will order loaded cars. Of course as they have stated several times loaded cars will be made first. It is in Tesla's best interest to make loaded cars first as there is more profit in these cars. I am sure those who already own a Tesla will tend to order Model 3's with more options and since current Tesla owners are going to get their cars right after the employees these will be some of the first cars manufactured and delivered. These will also be the ones who will be able to take advantage of the full $7,500 tax credit before they reach the 200,000 threshold and then it reduces over the next three quarters to $0. I know people are hoping the tax credit will be extended but they have tried twice to get a bill through and it has never even left committee.

Seems like a lot of people are going to spec out their Model 3 cars, but I think there will still be plenty of people who will spend $35K and still consider it the best car they've ever owned.

For me...
$5K autopilot
$600 paint
$1,500 pano
$36,200 base delivered

= $43,300

= $38,831 after tax and tax rebate (assuming $7500)

Ok. Thanks Model S M.D.

I have a question - only because you are a 100D owner.

You took delivery of a 100D less than a month ago without the ability to posses or upgrade to the "now default" AP hardware. Would you have rather delayed your order for a month or have Tesla delay delivery for a month?

I was in a unique situation, someone totalled my 85D so I was in need of a Tesla asap. Delaying delivery wasn't an option anyway. The P100D was actually announced during my order confirm week (I ordered a P90D), so I actually unexpectedly had the opportunity to upgrade to P100D and got the premium seats and rear cupholders/USB, in addition to all of the facelift goodies that my 2015 85D didn't have (HEPA, adaptive LEDs, new nose, center console, etc). So I still consider myself pretty fortunate (not to mention fortunate to walk away from my accident).

Besides, I don't believe having self driving on a performance model makes too much sense--I doubt AP would ever go 0-60 in 2.5 s or take full advantage of performance acceleration that is just so fun to do yourself. I'm perfectly happy with AP 1.0 that works for the mundane tasks I don't want to do (bumper to bumper traffic, highway driving).

When the software and regulations are ready for full autonomy in a few years, it will be time to trade my car in :)

There aren't very many people who remember that quote by Elon. I hope Elon remembers it.

EM stated during the Model 3 reveal that a base 35K Model 3 will be an amazing car. You won't find a better car for $35K.

I was in a unique situation, someone totalled my 85D so I was in need of a Tesla asap. Delaying delivery wasn't an option anyway. The P100D was actually announced during my order confirm week (I ordered a P90D), so I actually unexpectedly had the opportunity to upgrade to P100D and got the premium seats and rear cupholders/USB, in addition to all of the facelift goodies that my 2015 85D didn't have (HEPA, adaptive LEDs, new nose, center console, etc). So I still consider myself pretty fortunate (not to mention fortunate to walk away from my accident).

Besides, I don't believe having self driving on a performance model makes too much sense--I doubt AP would ever go 0-60 in 2.5 s or take full advantage of performance acceleration that is just so fun to do yourself. I'm perfectly happy with AP 1.0 that works for the mundane tasks I don't want to do (bumper to bumper traffic, highway driving).

When the software and regulations are ready for full autonomy in a few years, it will be time to trade my car in :)

EM stated during the Model 3 reveal that a base 35K Model 3 will be an amazing car. You won't find a better car for $35K.
ok, yes. Your situation is indeed unique.

I doubt AP would ever go 0-60 in 2.5 s or take full advantage of performance acceleration that is just so fun to do yourself.
Wouldn't it be nice if there was a future where self driving cars proved themselves in all conditions and as a result of increased safety and computer speed reflexes, it was decided that self driving cars did not have to obey speed limits or potentially unnecessary road signs (such as a 4-way stop that's clear on all sides)? Humans would still find a way to mess it up probably :(

I think they're going to "bundle" even more with Model 3. You don't get "ease of manufacturing" if you have so many different possible permutations.

It will be so much easier for them to start off a week and say, "All Blue/AWD/PxxxD-Ls/Premium Interior/Pano roof/UHDS Model 3's in the Central region will be made this week (or run on the line until finished)....

than it would be to take the time to individualize everything per car.

Really though, we should research how Audi has done A4 and A5 manufacturing in recent years, as that's probably going to be a very good indicator of what Tesla will be doing.
I can't even look at the profile picture anymore. That's offensive.