Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

The SR+ is fast!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, but the torque available to you at every speed is the same as if you were driving your sports car around- at 5,000 RPMs ALL THE TIME.

And I like the theory that it feels faster because it's quieter. When I gas it in my ICE car now I fell like I'm screaming, "HEY COPS, LOOK AT ME! I'M SPEEDING!"
This is true... I have a Chevy SS that is about as fast as my LR AWD, and when I speed/accelerate quickly, you know it. Haha

I’m gonna have to go to task with you in regards to your comment. Saying the SR+ isn’t fast is kinda silly considering it probably ranks in the top 5% in terms of fastest production cars on the road. The AWD Performance probably ranks in the top 1% of fastest production cars on the road. Numbers don’t lie.
My other car is a Chevy SS that does 0-60 in 4.5 seconds, which I'm sure head to head in a race my LR AWD would beat it, just by sheer traction, my previous car was basically the same thing, a G8 GXP that did it in about the same, eventually it had a cam and twin turbos making 710 rwhp. Most new Mustangs/Camaros/etc do 0-60 in the 4's. 5.3 is quick, don't get me wrong, and the quiet power delivery makes it feel even quicker, but it's by no means fast.

But, it's all relative. If you've driven slow vehicles your whole life, it's going to feel like a rocket ship, if you've driven quick cars your whole life, it's about comparable. Only the Performance Model 3, or the P90 and up would feel very quick to me.

Numbers don’t tell the whole story.

What makes the biggest difference is the instantaneous power delivery with no waiting on a transmission to shift and RPMs to build. A 5.3s SR+ feels equally as “quick” as a 4.5s ICE car in my experience.
Sure sure. It's not fast though.

Gotcha, thanks. Black .... My first black car in decades, and I'd forgotten how difficult black is to keep clean. But man it sure looks cool!
I think you've made a good choice with ADS... I walked into their shop about a week ago and they had both a Model 3 and an S in at that time, so they're definitely experienced with the cars. The problem I had was their quote for window tinting, which was almost double the figure I just received from Autoshades! Kinda blew my hair back a bit, so I put the project on pause while I ponder it. A 'get what you pay for' thing maybe, and I don't want to go cheap, but double the cost? Hmm.
Anyway I drove up to Spokane this past weekend and took two small chips on the bumper so their rate is looking pretty good to me now!

Congrats.

I have to laugh a bit, cuz if you think that's fast you definitely don't come from a background of quick/fast cars. 5.3 seconds is no slouch, but it's not fast by any means, but it's all relative.

True - but I think that the instant torque of the electric motors makes the initial pull feel much faster than the 0-60 time would lead you to believe. Same with the insane and ludicrous mode Model S's, the 60 foot and 8th mile acceleration is insane, then the car kind of falls over at 90-100mph.

Gotcha, thanks. Black .... My first black car in decades, and I'd forgotten how difficult black is to keep clean. But man it sure looks cool!
I think you've made a good choice with ADS... I walked into their shop about a week ago and they had both a Model 3 and an S in at that time, so they're definitely experienced with the cars. The problem I had was their quote for window tinting, which was almost double the figure I just received from Autoshades! Kinda blew my hair back a bit, so I put the project on pause while I ponder it. A 'get what you pay for' thing maybe, and I don't want to go cheap, but double the cost? Hmm.
Anyway I drove up to Spokane this past weekend and took two small chips on the bumper so their rate is looking pretty good to me now!

I’m heading up to Spokane on the 31st so I’ll be glad I have that PPF on!

What was your quote for tint for Autoshades? I think ADS was $1500 for all the glass, and that was including a clear 70% film on the windshield as well. They use Xpel tint too, which seems fairly high quality and they assured me they’ve done a single sheet rear window and could do that for me without issue. I think I’m going to skip the tint though after reading about cracking issues here. I don’t know if it’s down to the extra heat from the tint or not... but I’ll give it a half a year or something and see what happens. For one, I don’t want to spend hundreds tinting it and then it crack and have to tint it again....

Autoshades wanted $450 to do side glass only, $550 for ceramic tint, and he suggested not doing the rear window.
ADS quoted same as they did for you, $1500 to do all except glass roof above the front seats.
So I guess I'm making some assumptions when comparing the quotes.... But going from $550 to $1500 to include the rear window is a fairly large bump!
But still, I got a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling from ADS, especially after seeing two Teslas in their shop, but at Autoshades I felt the guy was just winging it. So .... $1500 it is.

Autoshades wanted $450 to do side glass only, $550 for ceramic tint, and he suggested not doing the rear window.
ADS quoted same as they did for you, $1500 to do all except glass roof above the front seats.
So I guess I'm making some assumptions when comparing the quotes.... But going from $550 to $1500 to include the rear window is a fairly large bump!
But still, I got a 'warm and fuzzy' feeling from ADS, especially after seeing two Teslas in their shop, but at Autoshades I felt the guy was just winging it. So .... $1500 it is.

Ya, I got good feelings from ADS... granted I haven’t actually had any work done yet. I’ll update you on the PPF next week. ADS also uses Xpel film for the tint (I think), and it has AMAZING heat rejection. I still think you lose a lot by the glass heating and then just radiating it into the cabin... but short of some kind of vacuum insulation layer between the cabin airspace and the sheet of glass, you’ll have the same behavior from whatever brand.

If/when you get yours tinted, I would love to see what it looks like and what amount you do on the windows. It’s always very hard for me to picture how dark the different levels of tint look once on the car, and I never actually want to go super dark. I like the open feel but just a little of the style from some contrast from the windows.

3 blink to the left on a model 3 seems to fail 90% of the time for me - I get it right 100% of the time on a 3 blink right.
I don't think it's me
I heard other having this issue and it's a known M3 blinker stem problem???
Can anyone confirm...

When did you take delivery? There was a well known problem that affected many Model 3s delivered later in 2018 where the steering control module was defective causing incorrect turn signal activations, if you have that problem you will need to get it replaced by service with a redesigned part. The good news is that it can be done by mobile service.

@acarney and others mystified by the blinker behavior. There's no reason to fully engage the blinker for lane changes. Just tap the stalk halfway down and the car will do 3 flashes which is all that's needed for proper lane change. It's also how pretty much every European car (and increasing #s of Japanese and American cars) is set up.

If 3 blinks feels "too slow" to complete your lane change you're doing your lane change wrong.

3 blink to the left on a model 3 seems to fail 90% of the time for me - I get it right 100% of the time on a 3 blink right.
I don't think it's me
I heard other having this issue and it's a known M3 blinker stem problem???
Can anyone confirm...

3-blink left fails for me maybe 5% of the time. Can't recall right ever failing. Mine is late 2018 build.

When did you take delivery? There was a well known problem that affected many Model 3s delivered later in 2018 where the steering control module was defective causing incorrect turn signal activations, if you have that problem you will need to get it replaced by service with a redesigned part. The good news is that it can be done by mobile service.

Interesting.

Well, we needed to know!

Cool!
So... could someone who understands this break it down for us lay-people as to what this means for real-world driving dynamics?

What I hear is: Less torque at the low end, but it catches up in the middle, and is basically the same at the high end.

Now, my second question is, has someone done this on a LEMR? Cuz that's what I have ;)

Cool!
So... could someone who understands this break it down for us lay-people as to what this means for real-world driving dynamics?

What I hear is: Less torque at the low end, but it catches up in the middle, and is basically the same at the high end.

Now, my second question is, has someone done this on a LEMR? Cuz that's what I have ;)

Not scientifically at all, we lined up the two cars. The SR may have less power, but it is lighter, resulting in a tie. On certain tracks, the SR would put down a better time than an equally modified LR.

• Helpful
Reactions: EVMeister
Not scientifically at all, we lined up the two cars. The SR may have less power, but it is lighter, resulting in a tie. On certain tracks, the SR would put down a better time than an equally modified LR.

And it will be easier on tires from a wear and overheating standpoint due to the lower weight.

Edit: And THANK YOU for the awesome youtube videos!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: MountainPass
One factor that I don't think has been mentioned explicitly yet in this thread: The Model 3 makes it dead simple to extract maximum acceleration; there's no "launch control" or anything similar that must be engaged to get maximum performance from a stop, and the instant torque and accelerator response at speed mean that they don't just FEEL quicker than most ICEs, they ARE quicker.

A good illustration of this is Car and Driver magazine's "Street Start - 5-60 mph" test. A typical ICE vehicle might see a 0.7 to 1.5 second difference between 0-60 mph (using all available "launching aids") and a rolling start. An extreme example of this is the Genesis G70 2.0 liter. It does 0-60 (with turbo spooling and brake-torquing) in 5.9 seconds, which isn't bad, but in the rolling 5-60 mph test that figure drops to 7.7 seconds! That 1.8 second gap is enormous, and means that the G70 doesn't feel anything like as quick in normal driving as its 0-60 time might lead one to believe.

The Model 3P's figures in that test were 3.5 and 3.7 seconds respectively. I don't want to get into the weeds about why they "only" got 3.5 seconds for the 3P - the point is that the 0.2 second difference is smaller than virtually ANY ICE vehicle can manage Therefore, the Model 3 is MUCH more able to deploy all of its performance at the drop of a hat than any ICE vehicle can, making the Model 3 a giant-killer on the street, at least up to about 80 mph...