Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Correction: Tesla AP2 already drives straight in SOME lanes... unless it's in love with a nearby truck, or gets confused by sun, rain, sleet, snow, or modified and partially erased or non-existent lane lines or lane lines of the wrong color or lane lines on a draw bridge.

Like @Stoneymonster, I also have an AP1 and an AP2 car in the garage. I actually find, that in my local areas, AP2 is now superior at lane detection in most all adverse conditions.

Quite likely that Tesla knew deep learning techniques were the future, and they wanted to do it themselves. Mobileye autopilot was a band-aid. However, that band-aid was ripped off sooner than Tesla anticipated.

Yep, plausible.

Also, AP "1.5" was likely planned as second-gen band-aid was for some reason - a story not told - it didn't make it. Delayed too long and then AP2 came?

And yes @mongo, if that's what you meant I agree AP2 was originally also slated to have EyeQ3... until it would no longer be needed. See the empty spot on the AP2 board...

Tesla seemed to think they could do FSD very quickly with just cameras. They were wrong, the 2017 demo didn't happen and as the lack of motorcycle detection in AP2 shows it's not that easy to replicate what MobileEye did with radar.

Tesla seems to be banking on FSD being a bunch of simpler technologies. Follow roads and make some lane changes, use auto-park, use GPS navigation and you are there, right?

Everyone else, MobileEye included, doesn't seem to think it's that easy. That's probably why they split, Tesla wanted it done by 2018 and MobileEye had a more realistic timeframe in mind, with the knowledge that any affordable hardware today wouldn't ever do FSD.

I'm pretty sure AP2 can distinguish between bicyclists, and motorcycles it just seems they haven't started rendering them on the dashboard just yet. (skip to 4:57 to see how the PX2 sees the world)

Like @Stoneymonster, I also have an AP1 and an AP2 car in the garage. I actually find, that in my local areas, AP2 is now superior at lane detection in most all adverse conditions.

That's really impressive, because AP1 has gotten much, much better over the course of the last year. If AP2 is matching the current state of AP1, it's far better than the AP1 I had when I got the car with 7.1 on it.

I'm pretty sure AP2 can distinguish between bicyclists, and motorcycles it just seems they haven't started rendering them on the dashboard just yet. (skip to 4:57 to see how the PX2 sees the world)

Thank you for this post.... The over idealization of mobileye and every other autonomous car program not yet meaningfully deployed is going to drive me insane.... especially if mobileye and cadillac supercruise fans have to come on a tesla forum to declare tesla's method overly simplistic or flawed.... .... It reminds me of apple hater snobbery. I get it, there are other more capable devices, but until someone actually explains how unbelievable an achievement it is that apple has achieved the unthinkable in finding a way to get tech averse grandparents to FaceTime with ease... I just can't take haters seriously.

Tesla has said over and over again, that they are trying to deploy self-driving to the masses for little money with less processing power. Hotz is the only other person that speaks about that critical point. @lunitiks, save me

I don't care if it shows a cupcake.
autocake.jpg

Does anyone know if Hotz ever softened his view that Mobileye is a failing company? Part of me wonders if Hotz blamed the folks at Mobileye for planting enough seeds of doubt with Musk to sabotage working with Hotz. That story is important to since Hotz has insinuated that Musk liked what he had to say, and indirectly takes credit for his interactions with Musk playing a big role part in the Musk's decision to part ways with Mobileye.

are you people really this naive? Hotz is as clueless as they come.
He keeps saying that Tesla is using a deep learning approach different from everyone. But Tesla isn't doing any more of a deep learning approach than anyone else. they are using as much machine learning as everyone because every one uses deep learning for sensing just like Tesla.

Hotz is clueless.

He tweeted this months ago

comma ai on Twitter

This is a mobileye 2 year old talk that i have posted here a hundred times and he is now finally discovering it and responding to it. That shows you how clueless Hotz is. I have talked to Hotz several times on reddit and you can easily tell that he knows nothing about the autonomous industry.

If you actually watched Hotz you would know that everything he has publicly criticized Mobileye for he has backpedaled.

First he said HD Map was useless and pointless, now he's building HD maps and saying its necessary..
Second he said there was no need for specific domain detection models, now he is building semantic free space detection and bounding boxes, etc.

comma ai on Twitter

He even announced today that he will be doing traffic light and stop sign detection and stopping and he will be using high precision gps and a user maintained map of traffic lights/stop signs.

Everything he was against before and saying to gain media attention. Now he's realizing he's been wrong the entire time.

Yet he still praises Tesla for PR reasons because of the huge media attention he gets when he does it. He keeps claiming he and Tesla are the only one going the machine learning when he's clearly not.

Wake up people.

are you people really this naive? Hotz is as clueless as they come.
He keeps saying that Tesla is using a deep learning approach different from everyone. But Tesla isn't doing any more of a deep learning approach than anyone else. they are using as much machine learning as everyone because every one uses deep learning for sensing just like Tesla.

Hotz is clueless.

He tweeted this months ago

comma ai on Twitter

This is a mobileye 2 year old talk that i have posted here a hundred times and he is now finally discovering it and responding to it. That shows you how clueless Hotz is. I have talked to Hotz several times on reddit and you can easily tell that he knows nothing about the autonomous industry.

If you actually watched Hotz you would know that everything he has publicly criticized Mobileye for he has backpedaled.

First he said HD Map was useless and pointless, now he's building HD maps and saying its necessary..
Second he said there was no need for specific domain detection models, now he is building semantic free space detection and bounding boxes, etc.

comma ai on Twitter

He even announced today that he will be doing traffic light and stop sign detection and stopping and he will be using high precision gps and a user maintained map of traffic lights/stop signs.

Everything he was against before and saying to gain media attention. Now he's realizing he's been wrong the entire time.

Yet he still praises Tesla for PR reasons because of the huge media attention he gets when he does it. He keeps claiming he and Tesla are the only one going the machine learning when he's clearly not.

Wake up people.
Well Wow @Bladerskb, you answered one of my questions. Hotz walked it back. I'm surprised you don't like Hotz though.... you have the same style....you know... sweeping and scathing judgments, over simplifications and pontifications. It's entertaining as hell, but just so damn ironic that the you two both remind me of Macho man.. at least you are funny. Hotz's old interviews make me want to puke as he seems like a character on silicon valley. I think Hotz's drastic characterizations on mobileye had everything to do with feeling like musk chose them over him or something... anyway, glad you came out of your Kremlin office to post this.

Another thought:

One of the real benefits of deep learning is the ability to learn low and high level features automatically from the data (as opposed to hand-crafted). Of course this is a complicated process for self-driving requiring lots of data that may be sparse, need labeling, etc...

My guess is for EAP 2.0, instead of learning against some output driving cost function, Tesla was going to initially train deep nets against the output stream from Mobileye, and in essence, recreate those complicated hand-crafted features into their own NN architectures and weights, that Tesla owns. Or, they would use the Mobileye stream to label their camera data, so that they could, for example, throw out 1000s of hours of repetitive scenes but find and keep all the edge cases, with less manual input.

Either way, this would have significantly accelerated the learning and advancement of AP 2.0. It's not surprising that Mobileye would refuse to participate in this.

Another thought:

One of the real benefits of deep learning is the ability to learn low and high level features automatically from the data (as opposed to hand-crafted). Of course this is a complicated process for self-driving requiring lots of data that may be sparse, need labeling, etc...

My guess is for EAP 2.0, instead of learning against some output driving cost function, Tesla was going to initially train deep nets against the output stream from Mobileye, and in essence, recreate those complicated hand-crafted features into their own NN architectures and weights, that Tesla owns. Or, they would use the Mobileye stream to label their camera data, so that they could, for example, throw out 1000s of hours of repetitive scenes but find and keep all the edge cases, with less manual input.

Either way, this would have significantly accelerated the learning and advancement of AP 2.0. It's not surprising that Mobileye would refuse to participate in this.

That's a clever approach; doing transfer learning from an old system to a new one. The training might take a while if you do it with hardware - it's usually done algorithm-to-algorithm inside the same fast machine to save calendar time. But it would probably work and it probably would have been a quick way to duplicate the AP1 functionality in the AP2 hardware.

But it's very likely that the IP agreement between ME and Tesla would have prevented this. Reverse engineering is almost always prohibited in these kinds of contracts and you can be sure that Tesla using transfer learning to duplicate the ME functions in the presence of a no-reverse clause would bring a lawsuit. On top of that it seems likely that Tesla's ginormous self confidence would lead them to believe that they can outdo ME even without a head start.

Still, it's a great observation.