Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Theft Of Components Off My Model S @ Cleveland Service Center

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Likely everywhere if it's recording someone in the workplace. Just because it's in your car it's still recording others without permission. Not to mention it's disrespectful. Try walking into your attorney's office with a camera on your head, see how that goes over.
you might be an excellent eye surgeon, but I suspect you are a bit of a weak wannabe lawyer.
respect? that is personnel concern.
your pointing to a lawyer, like a medical doctor, conversations with their clients fall under many doctrines and laws regarding privacy, their is no respect of confidentiality when a mechanic is at work on your car.
as for workplaces and stores that you visit they are full of cameras, do you give them permission when you visit a business with a camera? many places have hidden cameras and do not advise anybody of the cameras usage.

Reactions: davidc18
Well in CA it's illegal to record a conversation unless all parties are aware of the recording...

Jeff
I think that you are confusing making an audio recording with a video recording the laws regarding video are quite ambiguous, for example when you visit a business that has video in the store, in their parking lots taping all that enter, are they in breach of the laws? you might want to get a REAL legal opinion on this

Last edited:
I think that you are confusing making an audio recording with a video recording the laws regarding video are quite ambiguous, for example when you visit a business that has video in the store, in their parking lots taping all that enter, are they in breach of the laws? you might want to get a REAL legal opinion on this

There is a difference between video recording and audio recording. Audio recording is actually more restricted by law. This case isn't about 'all party' or 'one party consent' states. Placing an audio recording device in a place where none of the people know they are being recorded is illegal. 'One party consent' doesn't mean one person knows that a few other people are being recorded. It means a person participating in a conversation can record it legally without having to tell the other participants. If you are not participating, you are not a party.

Someone brought up that your car is considered an extension to your home (in some states). That maybe be, but that doesn't nullify the law regarding audio recording. Your home doesn't give you the right to eavesdrop on others. Being in your home doesn't give you immunity from the law.

I get the feeling that this is all 100% BS... Some of you seem to trust what you read online wayyyyy to easily... Just because corporate supposedly replied doesn't mean anything at all. Wouldn't you want to reach out to a customer who makes such wild and crazy accusations in order to determine fact from fiction? Don't assume that because Tesla is asking that the story must be true...

Jeff

I think you are right Jeff, I didn't realize Alex Jones drove a Tesla and posted on TMC under a pseudonym ... It's an inside job!

All this on top of the WSJ and the chemicals being put into the contrails of the space X rockets.... It's so simple! Someone escalate this!

Who in his right mind disagrees with me?
So whoever it was, thinks the Tesla employee who stole the seats and took the car for a joyride is an OK person and should not be prosecuted?
Unbelievable!

To the right of the disagree is the word "list". Click on it and it will tell you who disagreed. I'll give you a hint it starts with the letter "k"

Joe - I also live in Michigan, and if your story is true, I feel your pain!

I can't vouch or deny the validity of the OP here - however the people he is referring to by name are real and do work at the Cleveland location.

Also I've had enough awful service & customer support experiences at the Cleveland service center that I actually deal with another service center instead even though it's further away.

Over the last couple of years, they have changed some staff and started to improve. But they aren't at the level of other Tesla service centers yet.

This story seems too crazy to be true but silence from the OP leads me to believe it was. I understand how a joyride may have caused the damage he described as well as the dirty car but the seat thing really seems unbelievable. You have to believe that the service center staff could more easily just take one of the fully loaded loaners out rather than take a car out that's in for service. Strange.

To the right of the disagree is the word "list". Click on it and it will tell you who disagreed. I'll give you a hint it starts with the letter "k"
I didn't want to veer off on this tangent but now I have to defend my dislike.
I disliked that comment because of the demand for a replacement vehicle.
thinking that tesla would replace a vehicle is IMHO absurd.
if the "tinkering" to the OP's car really did happen that could be a criminal act and should be prosecuted but thinking that removing seats warrants a full replacement? really? at best tesla might be obliged to repair the car to original spec.

I didn't want to veer off on this tangent but now I have to defend my dislike.
I disliked that comment because of the demand for a replacement vehicle.
thinking that tesla would replace a vehicle is IMHO absurd.
if the "tinkering" to the OP's car really did happen that could be a criminal act and should be prosecuted but thinking that removing seats warrants a full replacement? really? at best tesla might be obliged to repair the car to original spec.
I agree with you about replacing his entire vehicle. That does seem a little extreme, but not completely unreasonable if everything he said was completely accurate. At the same time, I disagree with just fixing the damage. If someone was clearly wronged, egregiously in this case, then proper repairs should be made along with just compensation. Now, that could be financial in nature or another form of good will. Hopefully something more than a token keychain.

I too find it interesting that the OP has disappeared since his last post 2 days ago. This is not a thread that I could see him easily walking away from. To me, that indicates some type of change in his situation. Perhaps he has lawyered-up or Tesla is actively working with him on a resolution. Whatever is going on, I would like an update if he is willing and able.

Reactions: davidc18 and mrElbe
Icould see him easily walking away from. To me, that indicates some type of change in his situation. Perhaps he has lawyered-up or Tesla is actively working with him on a resolution. Whatever is going on, I would like an update if he is willing and able.
I agree, he either was a fake, initiated litigation which precludes him from commenting or the best out come, which would be that tesla is making him whole again provided he complies with a non disclosure agreement. A ND is not unusual for tesla to insist on when they deal with an unusual issue

There is a difference between video recording and audio recording. Audio recording is actually more restricted by law. This case isn't about 'all party' or 'one party consent' states. Placing an audio recording device in a place where none of the people know they are being recorded is illegal. 'One party consent' doesn't mean one person knows that a few other people are being recorded. It means a person participating in a conversation can record it legally without having to tell the other participants. If you are not participating, you are not a party.

Someone brought up that your car is considered an extension to your home (in some states). That maybe be, but that doesn't nullify the law regarding audio recording. Your home doesn't give you the right to eavesdrop on others. Being in your home doesn't give you immunity from the law.

'one party consent' laws has more to do with admissibility of an obtained audio recording when considered for evidence in court. Not with the act of recording it in the first place.

Otherwise anytime you pull out your phone to video-tape your kids soccer practice, and it records the guy next to you yelling for a hot dog, you would be breaking the law.