Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just noticed this "feature".
A few days ago I scheduled a nighttime charge and it worked properly.
Today I wanted to charge so I plugged the car in and the "scheduled charge" screen came up. I tried to cancel the scheduled charge, turn off scheduled charge, start charging immediately, etc. and nothing worked. It was stuck on the scheduled charge screen. It wouldn't even close the window.
I unplugged the charger and was then able to change the settings to charge now.
I don't understand why the scheduled charge locks the screen when plugged in. It seems to me that you might want to change the settings (time to start, charge level, charge rate, etc.) I can't see any useful purpose to locking the screen.

I change scheduled charging and charge now all the time and don't have to problem with lock screen. Have it checked by Tesla.

Discovered this (on v7) in a roundabout way. The Odometer now shows on the "About" screen you get to by pressing the "T" on the 17" screen.

I went out to the garage at the end of October to collect my car's stats and re-set my trip odometer. Found that the main odometer no longer shows on the dash when you get in. Pressed the brake to turn the car on, but no-go because I was plugged in. I had to get out, unplug the car then get back in to get my odometer reading!! A day or two later, I noticed it shows up on that "About" screen. Pretty sure it didn't before v7.

I'm sure people here know about this, but I only discovered it after almost 5 months... sigh, I'm slow.

I can add favorites to the nav, lol.

I tried it once when getting the car by hitting the edit button, but I couldn't add one (only delete the existing ones)

Just discovered this after upgrading to v7 (2.9.12)... "Region Format" on the Units & Format settings screen. Wasn't there on my car on earlier version of 7 or before. Mine had defaulted to Belgium. No setting for Canada, so I selected US.

IMG_0006.jpg

Just discovered this after upgrading to v7 (2.9.12)... "Region Format" on the Units & Format settings screen. Wasn't there on my car on earlier version of 7 or before. Mine had defaulted to Belgium. No setting for Canada, so I selected US.
So if you select 'US' and 'km', do you get pressure in psi or Bar? I'm wondering if this is an effort to sort out some of the inconsistencies in units every country has... or is it simply to decide whether to use a comma or a period in long numbers and whether the month goes before or after the date?

So if you select 'US' and 'km', do you get pressure in psi or Bar? I'm wondering if this is an effort to sort out some of the inconsistencies in units every country has... or is it simply to decide whether to use a comma or a period in long numbers and whether the month goes before or after the date?

Well, I don't have tire pressures in my "classic" Model S so can't tell you :frown: But when I first noticed it, it was set for Belgium but my units were still in my preferred "miles", "12 hour time format" and Degrees F. When I tried a few other regions, those settings did not change. As far as I can tell, it only affects things like how numbers are shown (commas vs. periods) and the date format (although do we even have the Day/Month/Year showing anywhere in the car any more?).

Bar, tire pressure is linked to distance units, not anything else.
for that matter, the whole region thing only sets the values explicitly listed on that screen, so IMHO it's a completely useless setting. If you're too lazy to switch those 4 existing settings, it will take you longer to hunt through the list for your country to do it for you.

They have a whole settings page for Units & Format, so there's lots of room to just let us pick whatever units and formats we want, one item at a time. I'd like km for distance, % for energy (sometimes kWh) and if I had a car that could show tire pressures, I'd want PSI, 'cause that's what my tire gauges show. There may be combinations that tend to be common in some regions, but it's really personal preference, and the region list is just way too complicated to implement and maintain anyway.

So Tesla, just let us pick separately for distance, time, temperature and energy/charging (all as they are today), plus tire pressure (PSI, kPa or bar), number format, date format (including ISO-8601 format, yyyy-mm-dd) and anything else that comes along.

Not really tip related to the car, but I like it dark when driving at night so I go full screen with the browser (or as full as it can go) and have this site bookmarked:

Black Screen

Awesome! Thank You

- - - Updated - - -

Discovered this (on v7) in a roundabout way. The Odometer now shows on the "About" screen you get to by pressing the "T" on the 17" screen.

I went out to the garage at the end of October to collect my car's stats and re-set my trip odometer. Found that the main odometer no longer shows on the dash when you get in. Pressed the brake to turn the car on, but no-go because I was plugged in. I had to get out, unplug the car then get back in to get my odometer reading!! A day or two later, I noticed it shows up on that "About" screen. Pretty sure it didn't before v7.

You should have seen me with my new MS at the Bureau of Motor Vehicles last week. The lady was trying to do an odometer check, took us about 5 minutes until I remember how I had earlier played with the T logo.

When washing the car, I normally have the wipers in service mode. Of course, it's always tough to reach across to the touchscreen with wet hands and park the wipers, smudging the touchscreen in the process. Today, I discovered I can just flip the wiper switch into auto mode to park the wipers. Much easier to reach without dripping all over the place.

Got to page 25 before have to turn in and didn't come across this tip:

In navigation mode when enter a place it will give you a battery percent remaining with its calculation however this assumes a one way trip only. If you want to find out how much battery you will have left doing a round trip you have to touch on the mile and time estimate at bottom and it will then pop up a round trip estimator. Was not an obvious way to find it (tesla should make it automatically show up rather than having to take this hidden step)

In example below I touched the line that has 63 miles 1 hr 25 min to get 2nd pic pop-up giving round-trip battery left

- - - Updated - - -

20151228_011707.jpg
20151228_011658.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

By the way has any one figured out a way for the center console navigation to automatically zoom in when an upcoming turn is near? In my old navigation system when it is near next step in navigation it switches to a close up view to see in detail. I know it does this on the driver console in dash but would be nice to also do it on the 17 inch display since I usually am looking at that. Especially helpful if there are a lot of streets in close proximity and want to know exactly when to make turn

Got to page 25 before have to turn in and didn't come across this tip:

In navigation mode when enter a place it will give you a battery percent remaining with its calculation however this assumes a one way trip only. If you want to find out how much battery you will have left doing a round trip you have to touch on the mile and time estimate at bottom and it will then pop up a round trip estimator. Was not an obvious way to find it (tesla should make it automatically show up rather than having to take this hidden step)

In example below I touched the line that has 63 miles 1 hr 25 min to get 2nd pic pop-up giving round-trip battery left
Can you tell me what version you have? I've heard this mentioned before, but I just can't seem to reproduce it in my car, and I really would like to!