Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Things you may not have discovered about your Model S?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you tell me what version you have? I've heard this mentioned before, but I just can't seem to reproduce it in my car, and I really would like to!

It was introduced when they added the supercharger routing/trip planner software. 6.0 I think?

round trip how to.jpg

I think you need to have the nav destination set, and start nav. I think (but don't remember off the top of my head) that the car will display the initial estimation before starting nav. Need to start the nav to get the round trip estimate.

Can you tell me what version you have? I've heard this mentioned before, but I just can't seem to reproduce it in my car, and I really would like to!

I have the 7.0 version where introduced autopilot on it. You do have to go through all the steps of navigation where you put in address and it has to calculate route. Then click on the mileage and time estimate lone to bring up round trip. Hope that helps

When washing the car, I normally have the wipers in service mode. Of course, it's always tough to reach across to the touchscreen with wet hands and park the wipers, smudging the touchscreen in the process. Today, I discovered I can just flip the wiper switch into auto mode to park the wipers. Much easier to reach without dripping all over the place.
Thank you... I will use this one!

(Thanks for additions and suggestions... I've reformatted the original version of this and added submissions from others. Will try to maintain it if other suggestions/corrections come in.)

Tips and Tricks You May Not Have Discovered About Your Model S

F) Interior Storage, Lighting, and Features

1) HIDDEN STORAGE POCKET:
If you have the Leather package, you have one small semi-hidden storage pouch for storing documents, charging cards, coins, etc.. It's on the leading edge of the driver's seat cushion. Not easy to find until you know where to look. [JoshG]

2) CHARGE ADAPTER HOLDER:
There's a recess built into the very back left side of the glove box that perfectly holds your J-1772 adapter so it's always at hand when you need it rather than going into the trunk where your other charging accessories are likely to be stored. Push the adapter in along the left side of the glove box until it snugly fits into the storage area. [JoshG]

Do you have any pics of this? I have the leather tan next generation seats, tried searching for the front pocket and couldn't find it. And not sure if I figured out how the charge adaptor goes in the glove box.

Thanks

The destination you schedule needs to be relatively close. It won't do round trip estimates if you need to hit a supercharger or two (I can't recall if it does it with one, but it doesn't do it with two).
I really wish they would implement the ability to do better round trip planning when superchargers are as part of the trip. I bet 99.9% of trips are round trip regardless of distance. This would allow us to plan better and get a a better estimate of trip duration.

The destination you schedule needs to be relatively close. It won't do round trip estimates if you need to hit a supercharger or two (I can't recall if it does it with one, but it doesn't do it with two).
I seem to have figured it out, it only wants to do round trip planning if there are no warnings on the outbound leg. ie: if it says "drive slowly to reach destination" or "charging needed to reach destination" it won't do any round trip planning. I however did want it to do so anyway so that I would have some idea of how much charge I needed and where to make the whole trip work (should I charge to full at one place and then be fine for the whole round trip, or am I going to have to stop 2 places anyway in which case charging to 3/4 might be fine, and it may affect which places I choose)

So yes, I've now gotten it to work when I couldn't previously, because all my previous attempts were with some form of warning, or supercharger involved. Seems I had only tried it in the "edge cases" and not in the way it was "intended"

Got to page 25 before have to turn in and didn't come across this tip:

In navigation mode when enter a place it will give you a battery percent remaining with its calculation however this assumes a one way trip only. If you want to find out how much battery you will have left doing a round trip you have to touch on the mile and time estimate at bottom and it will then pop up a round trip estimator. Was not an obvious way to find it (tesla should make it automatically show up rather than having to take this hidden step)

In example below I touched the line that has 63 miles 1 hr 25 min to get 2nd pic pop-up giving round-trip battery left

This doesn't work if the nav has scheduled you at any superchargers. :rolleyes:

I really wish they would implement the ability to do better round trip planning when superchargers are as part of the trip. I bet 99.9% of trips are round trip regardless of distance. This would allow us to plan better and get a a better estimate of trip duration.

But how can it predict how much charge you're going to get at the Supercharger? If charging is involved, there's no meaningful way to do round-trip calculations unless it can read your mind or allow you to enter your target charge level at the charger.

But how can it predict how much charge you're going to get at the Supercharger? If charging is involved, there's no meaningful way to do round-trip calculations unless it can read your mind or allow you to enter your target charge level at the charger.

This is simple, it tells you the minimum charge you need. Take more if you need it. If you're making a multi point trip, then enter all those points. Oh wait, you can't do that.