Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Thoughts about Autopilot 2.0

How satisfied are you with Autopilot 2.0?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Posting in the monthly AP2 disappointment thread :rolleyes:

Seriously though, Tesla's AP2 is screwed IMO. I don't think they'll ever reach any level of confidence for the EAP features they described, let alone FSD. I had high high hopes for FSD after Tesla put out those FSD YouTube videos. But now I realize it was a deception.

Also, what is with Elon saying they've figured out the neural network problem? They still can't deal with slopes, and I can't see them EVER solving the slope problem with the AP2 hardware:

I'm posting this video all up in this mug...

I'd happily pay calisnow if Tesla added auto lane change or auto stop at lights/stop.

Tesla is at a difficult place right now that Google overcame by going straight to level 4. Tesla can't have a system that takes control over certain things and still require the driver to remain conscious of possible failures.

I honestly can't see Tesla ever fulfilling the promise of EAP. Their only option is to go full FSD because the in between is going to cause problems, as Google found out.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: oktane and TaoJones
Just got a 100D w/ap 2.0. Swapped from my 70D w ap1.0. I have driven 600+ miles so far on 2.0. Over all it is smoother and more accurate than v1.0. In particular when stopping behind stopped traffic at lights and in highway stop and go traffic it is much smoother and anticipates the stops way better than v1.0.
There are a few places where v2.0 behaves a little differently than v1.0 and 1 or 2 corner cases where v2.0 does not equal v1.0. There is one place on a secondary road where v2.0 keeps diving for a turn lane. There is also the case driving over a draw bridge where v1.0 would consistently steer to center ignoring the lines (side rails are closer over the lift span) where v2.0 behaves perfectly. 2.0 does better on small hills and over passes where 1.0 would lose the vehicle in front and end up braking hard after cresting the hill and "seeing" the car again.
V2.0 is not yet differentiating trucks from cars or motorcycles or bicycles. It does way better in construction zones and where newly painted lines have been added to differentiate a new traffic pattern.
2.0 is seeing and processing way more than it is displaying and I look forward to upcoming releases and fully expect level 4 capabilities within 2018.

Fire Away!

Perhaps, one man's overposted video, is another man's annoying as crap video? So I haven't learned the nuances of TMC etiquette, and so I may frighten "small children" but hey, how bout another video?

I like playing the muted game of name that street (Redbud Trail - I haven't been on it for 6 months?) as much as the next person. But the mods may consider the same video in 4-5 threads as over posting...

One thing I have noticed with breaking when AP2 is on is that when the weather is colder it seems to hit the brakes hard. Wondering if AP isn't aware that regen breaking is reduced when it is cold out. Notice it is much smoother when I have full regen breaking. So Haven't been using AP on local roads unless I have full regen breaking. Curious if others have noticed this.

• Informative
Reactions: NerdUno
Perhaps, one man's overposted video, is another man's annoying as crap video? So I haven't learned the nuances of TMC etiquette, and so I may frighten "small children" but hey, how bout another video?

That’s great but you’re helping AP2 by adjusting the speed at tight corners, but it’s good to know if it adjusted speed properly, it would be able to do tight corners.

That’s great but you’re helping AP2 by adjusting the speed at tight corners, but it’s good to know if it adjusted speed properly, it would be able to do tight corners.
Since we are comparing AP1 vs AP2 are you suggesting that AP1 would recognize the speed limit (or speed caution sign) and automatically reduce the speed to match? Or are you suggesting that AP1 would just see it was a tight corner and slow down. In my AP2 car it will not do either but I do not do a lot of local street testing.

Since we are comparing AP1 vs AP2 are you suggesting that AP1 would recognize the speed limit (or speed caution sign) and automatically reduce the speed to match? Or are you suggesting that AP1 would just see it was a tight corner and slow down. In my AP2 car it will not do either but I do not do a lot of local street testing.

This thread isn't about comparing AP1 vs. AP2. The fact that we are still wondering whether AP2 is better than AP1 is a problem.

I'm gonna go on a limb here and say that Tesla will never release any generalized and significant EAP driving feature. Any EAP feature they release will rely on prior detailed mapping of that specific road. Based on the hardware available on AP2, they'll never reach human level generalizability with driving.