Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tracking P85D delivery thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The battery has a label on the front left side, you have look under the car @ the back of your left front wheel.
Sorry, ment right side... Not left.
The mirror heater has no separate button, just press the back window heater button and the side mirror heater should be activated. Then look at the winter package side/screen if theres a red mark on the mirrors.

Something I can't find in this thread or Google (I'm sorry if I overlooked it):

1. What exactly changes when you choose "insane"?
Does it map the motors a different way for a high output?
Does it change the effort for the steering wheel?
Does it change the sensitivity of the throttle?
Does it tighten the suspension?

2. Is there a manual for the P85D (I found the old manual in My Tesla, but no updated version for the P85D).

Thanks for the videos Marc!

Hi guys! Quick update this morning:

1. I charged to 90% overnight and the range showed 219 miles rated, so conceivably just over 243 miles at 100%

2. On the way to Tahoe I charged at the Roseville supercharger and "only" got 116 kW of power:

image.jpg

Sounds good, Marc. I think you can only expect to see the full 120 kW at a lower state of charge, and only when the Supercharger has full power available for your pedestal. It's a bit variable, even when no other S is charging from the same cabinet.

In production some time in the past hour or so. (Calling it early 12/11.) VIN 64227. Spreadsheet has been updated.

Now production complete! That was a little fast for my liking. I know I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, while others are lingering in the black hole for weeks, but should they really be able to build a car --that-- quickly? I guess I can just hope that the status update of when the vehicle really started production was delayed, and that this one is accurate. I'll update again when I hear from my DS about a delivery date, which I expect may happen tomorrow. I have no idea about seats, but haven't heard that I don't have the seats I ordered, which are the Next Generation grey.

I have updated the spreadsheet.

Now production complete! That was a little fast for my liking. I know I shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth, while others are lingering in the black hole for weeks, but should they really be able to build a car --that-- quickly? I guess I can just hope that the status update of when the vehicle really started production was delayed, and that this one is accurate. I'll update again when I hear from my DS about a delivery date, which I expect may happen tomorrow. I have no idea about seats, but haven't heard that I don't have the seats I ordered, which are the Next Generation grey.

I have updated the spreadsheet.
Good news in my view. I would not worry about 'too quickly' produced. Two perfectly legit explanations. The web page is not always updated quickly so you car may have been in production before 12/11 OR TM may have the 'all hands on deck' overtime is expected situation.

Good news in my view. I would not worry about 'too quickly' produced. Two perfectly legit explanations. The web page is not always updated quickly so you car may have been in production before 12/11 OR TM may have the 'all hands on deck' overtime is expected situation.

Thanks for the reassurance.

I've just been talking about this with my wife, and saying that basically there are two possibilities. Either this is really good, and they've worked out all the issues they had building the first cars, and the production line is now operating really well, and we're going to get a great car. Or they've just decided they need to get these things moving out the door to make some December deliveries, and they'll fix the problems later, so they've lowered the standards in an attempt not to have terrible 4th quarter numbers. I'm an optimist, and was heavily leaning towards the first scenario anyway. Your post adds even more support for that one. (I really don't want to think much about the other one, especially since I don't live within 200 miles of a service center.)

I've just been talking about this with my wife, and saying that basically there are two possibilities. Either this is really good, and they've worked out all the issues they had building the first cars, and the production line is now operating really well, and we're going to get a great car. Or they've just decided they need to get these things moving out the door to make some December deliveries, and they'll fix the problems later, so they've lowered the standards in an attempt not to have terrible 4th quarter numbers. I'm an optimist, and was heavily leaning towards the first scenario anyway. Your post adds even more support for that one. (I really don't want to think much about the other one, especially since I don't live within 200 miles of a service center.)

I definitely would not worry. They are doing all the same checks and tests, but now the bugs are out of the system, it will move quickly. I have always expected that to happen.

Andrewket: can you sort the spreadsheet when you have a moment please?

It could be that your car was actually in production longer than what was reflected on the status page and someone just got around to flipping the bits. I think we're all assuming the production status update is automated with the steps on the factory floor.

Hi guys! Quick update this morning:

1. I charged to 90% overnight and the range showed 219 miles rated, so conceivably just over 243 miles at 100%

2. On the way to Tahoe I charged at the Roseville supercharger and "only" got 116 kW of power:

View attachment 65985

Thank you for being TMC's "special assignment" reporter, Mark.

I was wondering what mode this 219 mile 90% was done at - SPORT or INSANE. If it was in INSANE mode, could you put the slider into the SPORT mode, and record what would be the 90% rated charge? I think that efficiency in SPORT mode has to be better than in the INSANE mode, and it might be reflected on the display by showing the longer range in SPORT mode. To check this theory you might need to do two recharges in the SPORT mode and see if rated miles after the second 90% charge are higher than 219.

Another thing I was wondering about is that although the 90% 219 miles charge prorates to 219 / .09 = 243 miles at 100%, the 76 miles range in the app snap shot shows 30% state of charge, which would indicate 76 / 0.3 = 253 miles at 100%. Could it be that you've got 219 miles at 90% charge not immediately after the completion of the charge, but some time later? If that is what happened, do you know approximately how much time have passed after the charge and the time you've recorded the 219 miles, and what was the ambient temperature the car was sitting in?

Thanks

Last edited:
Marc, I think Tesla found that any regeneration captured "by the actual brakes" would be minimal when measured against the cost and complexity of said "braking system", which is why they chose not to implement such system.

I am sure you will get used to feathering the accelerator in short order...to many of us, driving using just one pedal (for the most part) is a big part of the joy of driving a Tesla!

Thanks guys! Hmmm, couple of negatives... let me think about that.

Well I've only had the car for less than 24 hours so I'm not used to this, but I really wish there was some regen possible on the brakes. Maybe I will get used to feathering the accelerator eventually, but for now I feel like I'm losing some energy by braking without the opportunity to regen.

Oh, and I really wish the seats had more side bolstering. Wait, I think Tesla sells those now... Wait, I thought I ordered them too?!? ;-)

Last edited:
One question I have is that I have heard the factory is typically closed on Sundays. With all these vehicles in the pipeline that they are trying to get out before the new year if possible. I wonder if they are pulling Sundays. Has anyone seen a change of status on Sunday?