Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The A556 is a case where it won't read the signs but no NoA there either. First couple of times through I wondered if the 60mph signs were crashing the software as I saw no signs at all between there and the motorway, but it seems that it's intentionally switched off for that road.

I was surprised to find that it recognises all the 20mph signs in our village, TBH, especially as many of them are pretty badly obscured at the moment. It doesn't recognise one or two 20mph signs on wheelie bins, though, it just displays them as bins.

The tweet was "Vector-space bird’s eye view coming with FSD"

The key there is vector space - which will be simply a view of the existing 3d render that the car has (that you can rotate already but not to overhead).

Nothing to do with cameras.
upload_2020-10-3_18-3-0.png

This was from FSD demo

upload_2020-10-3_18-5-23.png

upload_2020-10-3_18-6-6.png

• Love
Reactions: MrBadger
Is it only a 20mph zone on bin day? Can the residents extend the 20mph zone by pushing their bins up the street a little?

I'm somewhat confused.

Some of the older cottages in the village have nowhere to stow wheelie bins, so they are always at the side of the lane. I think the 20mph speed limit stickers on some of them date back to a campaign that was run to persuade the council to put in the 20mph limit. I'm pretty sure the stickers aren't official, someone probably got some printed up for the bins.

Reactions: Medved_77
I’m guessing charge port heating will probably be on Model 3s that also have the USB-C ports. Seems like it coincides with Model Y manufacturing.

Not had a winter in my car yet so don’t know how big a deal this will be to have or not.

Having a charge port light would be very, very, useful. I've added a betalight in mine, that helps a bit when trying to get the connector in at night, but it's not as good as the charge port lights in my last two cars. Not sure why Tesla decided not to fit a light in there, TBH, seems an odd omission.

I’m guessing charge port heating will probably be on Model 3s that also have the USB-C ports. Seems like it coincides with Model Y manufacturing.

Not had a winter in my car yet so don’t know how big a deal this will be to have or not.

It can be a problem but the car does intentionally leak air when pre heating with various degrees of success so possibly not as bad as it might be. I had problems with door handles freezing closed on a couple of occasions but the only problem that I had with charge port was the door freezing closed and taking a couple of attempts to open - same reason as door handles, wet/condensation suddenly freezing sticking things together. Worth carrying out the preventative measures that are now in the manual - we had to work it all out by ourselves for our first winter.

[edited]typos and added 'intentionally' to show its not a fault

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Durzel
It can be a problem but the car does leak air when pre heating with various degrees of success so possibly not as bad as it might be. I had problems with door handles freezing closed on a couple of occasions but th obly problem that I had with charge port was the door freezing closed and taking a couple of attempts to open - same reason as door handles, wet/condensation suddenly freezing sticking things together. Worth carrying out the preventative measures that are now in the manual - we had to work it all out by ourselves for our first winter.

Found it!
upload_2020-10-3_21-5-2.png

• Helpful
Reactions: CMc1
Depends on where you are and if you have access to warm water.

What we did on the obviously bitterly cold days, was pre heat for longer. Took a while to suss what the problematic conditions were and how much longer to preheat. Wet or days with lots of condensation where the moisture then suddenly froze were the problem ones.

It can be a problem but the car does intentionally leak air when pre heating with various degrees of success so possibly not as bad as it might be. I had problems with door handles freezing closed on a couple of occasions but the only problem that I had with charge port was the door freezing closed and taking a couple of attempts to open - same reason as door handles, wet/condensation suddenly freezing sticking things together. Worth carrying out the preventative measures that are now in the manual - we had to work it all out by ourselves for our first winter.

[edited]typos and added 'intentionally' to show its not a fault

where do you live? Not to stalk you! So vaguely is fine! But curious as I’m in Scotland and hadn’t expected Winter problems... But now I may need to!

And how does one fix a frozen door handle that sits entirely flush to the door.....?!

I'm Surrey, but on a hill at approx 115m that, if it was not for some treelines and unpopulated hilly peaks, would overlook the Surrey Hills a good few miles away to the south. Car is on north side. So we do get freezing fog and condensation susceptible to sudden freeze. I found it odd that it was not more widely reported.

I started a thread when it first happened - Oh no. Door handles frozen. Didn't help that last year it it felt like it rained pretty much every day between collection and spring.

Various things seemed to have helped, with the palm of hand thump is weapon of last resort. As mentioned previously, the manual is much better in that respect now.

• Helpful
Reactions: M3-Newbie
How did you manage to get something that big in there?

Got a "Tesla" umbrella from Aliexpress that is packed into a 12-inch long by 3-inch diameter space. Easily fits the glovebox.
When removed from its cover pouch and a button on the side of the handle is pressed the spring-loaded telescopic shaft extends and the canopy springs open to make a full-size, but shorter than usual handle, umbrella.
US $17.98 38% OFF|1pc Automatic Folding Umbrella Rain Sunshade Umbrella Quality Windproof UV fit for Tesla MODEL S MODEL X MODEL 3|Waterproof Umbrella Sets| - AliExpress

And another, possibly a little more significant changes but unlikely to be worthy of a change in release notes.

The Americas, New Zealand and Australia. Conjecture - possibly a relaxing of some FSD traffic light safeguards ?

TeslaFi said:
Software version 2020.40.3 was just detected on a Tesla Model 3 Long Range DM in Ontario Canada. The highest previous version was 2020.40.0.4. Follow the 2020.40.3 release at TeslaFi.com Firmware Tracker