Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2020.40.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can you share the release notes? How old is your car if you don't mind me asking?

Sure thing – here they are (let me know if you'd like snapshots of the text following "Previous Release Notes"). Nothing hugely exciting. You'll see the display changed from day mode to night mode just after I snapped the release notes and before I snapped the software version!

We collected the car on 30 June 2020. I think (from memory) it may be a February 2020 build.

IMG_5799.jpeg

IMG_5795.jpeg

• Helpful
Reactions: Durzel
Thanks. That seems to confirm that earlier Model 3s up to and including 20 plates don’t have the Charge Port Inlet Heater, as it’s missing from your patch notes.

Would be interested to know if people with USB-C in their car (part homologised with Model Y) have it.

Reactions: CMc1
Fingers crossed. It’s what we’ve all been crying out for.
Not me! I really don't want the autopilot speed to change automatically in response to speed signs - until all other cars are behaving in that way (i.e. immediately at a speed sign), I just think it happening automatically is far too dangerous and would actually make me more on edge about what the car is about to do and how other drivers might react.

That coupled with potentially recognising signs incorrectly = too much room for unintended consequences.

Not me! I really don't want the autopilot speed to change automatically in response to speed signs - until all other cars are behaving in that way (i.e. immediately at a speed sign), I just think it happening automatically is far too dangerous and would actually make me more on edge about what the car is about to do and how other drivers might react.

That coupled with potentially recognising signs incorrectly = too much room for unintended consequences.
You misunderstood. What’s needed was for TACC to engage at current speed, not speed limit.

Reactions: bhav
Thanks. That seems to confirm that earlier Model 3s up to and including 20 plates don’t have the Charge Port Inlet Heater, as it’s missing from your patch notes.

Would be interested to know if people with USB-C in their car (part homologised with Model Y) have it.
Do we even know if CCS equipped cars have the heater and that it's not limited to the proprietary port used in America and Canada?

Is the charge port heater really a benefit in the UK?

The old Type 1 connector on my old PHEV was a pain when it got cold enough to form ice, but only because the exposed release lever used to freeze up. Is freezing of the internal Type 2 latch release motor a problem? I can't say it ever happened with my i3, and that was left plugged in in pretty icy weather, nor did it happen with the Model 3 last winter, but last winter wasn't that cold here.

• Informative
Reactions: Durzel and pow216
Do we even know if CCS equipped cars have the heater and that it's not limited to the proprietary port used in America and Canada?
good point - seeing as this is technology moved across the Model Y, which has not been built/sold with CCS yet, this is not impossible
Mine has USB-C but no update to 2020.40 yet - will report back here unless someone else does first!

You misunderstood. What’s needed was for TACC to engage at current speed, not speed limit.
Oh, yes, that I can understand.

But I have seen others suggesting they want the car to slow down by the time it reaches the speed limit sign - seems crazy to me given reading speed limit signs is not 100% or even 90% reliable and other drivers won't expect this behaviour.

Is the charge port heater really a benefit in the UK?

• The old Type 1 connector on my old PHEV was a pain when it got cold enough to form ice, but only because the exposed release lever used to freeze up. Is freezing of the internal Type 2 latch release motor a problem? I can't say it ever happened with my i3, and that was left plugged in in pretty icy weather, nor did it happen with the Model 3 last winter, but last winter wasn't that cold here.

isn’t the benefit of the charge port heater that it avoids the door freezing open or closed rather than the connector freezing in?

Reactions: MadScientist
Mine is a 2020 M3LR FSD. I've just received 2020.40.3 and my release notes are the same as 559002 posted.

I do a return motorway run of 25 miles most mornings and I have to say that entry/exit seemed noticeably smoother today and Autopilot cruising just a little sharper on lane changes and acceleration/deceleration. However, I don't do any town driving with traffic lights etc so can't comment on status there.

Oh, yes, that I can understand.

But I have seen others suggesting they want the car to slow down by the time it reaches the speed limit sign - seems crazy to me given reading speed limit signs is not 100% or even 90% reliable and other drivers won't expect this behaviour.
Yes, I’m not keen on that. At or just before would suffice in most situations.

Why wouldn't you expect that behaviour?

The speed limit begins at the sign, if you don't slow down before the sign you will be breaking the speed limit.

We have a number of places here with pre-speed limit warning signs (as in 30 or 40mph limit x00 yards ahead) - naturally Tesla reads those as immediate changes and pi$$e$ off anyone behind...

Then the French Tesla guy/gal needs to talk to the mid-Wales Tesla guy/gal because we have those littered around as well but they are ignored. This may be because of the new map download I received about two weeks ago.

Why wouldn't you expect that behaviour?

The speed limit begins at the sign, if you don't slow down before the sign you will be breaking the speed limit.
That is of course absolutely true. The issue at present is one of accuracy and reliability. The only bulletproof way of speed regulation is with the scroll wheel at present. The real nuisance locally, is reading lower speeds that apply to rural side roads and being unable to correct the error because there are no off-limit repeaters on the road I’m on. There’s no way out of that other than manual.