Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading up on what's expected in the next big update (V11) which had been suggested was what we were meant to get around Christmas time when in fact the most significant thing people received was the ability (in some areas) to play sounds through the PWS.

We had a flurry of updates with fairly spaced out version numbers (2021.4.3, 2021.4.6, 2021.4.10) followed by 2021.4.11 which appears to be the one going through a major roll-out.

It's probably nothing significant, but I'm slightly suspicious of the ".11" part of the current version, along with the fact that a majority of these updates have been "bug fixes". Also things like profile saving being broken during one of these updates, when there's talk of moving profiles to the cloud.

What if there's a load of functionality in this version that'll be switched on remotely for everyone at the same time? Maybe the new AI stuff is running in the background and they're just making sure that it is behaving correctly. Unlikely though as that would be really risky to do (enable feature for everyone across the board in one hit.) Just wishful thinking on my part as I'm getting impatient for V11 :D

I don't think you can read too much into the flurry of releases, 2021.4.6 broke third-party charging so I expect they immediately halted the rollout while a fix was done - it could be that 2021.4.10 was already on the way out of the door and also had to be stopped because it had the same bug.

2021.4.11 isn't likely to have v11 hidden in it, but it is clearly a release that Tesla want to get on to as many vehicles as they can which might indicate that it's a required stepping-stone for whatever the v11 release ends up being.

People who have had cars delivered here and in the States with heated steering wheels have had them activated and available when they collected their cars.

I don’t think there have been any reports of people suddenly receiving them, and on the basis that MIC owners are upgrading to 2021.4.11 too, it is logical that it would’ve been there on delivery if you had it. :(

It's a bit up in the air at the moment, MIC SR+ cars have the same part number for the steering wheel but do not have heating available or an option to update the car with it through the app. That suggests there is a software switch that's probably waiting for an app update and/or backend change at Tesla's end.

When those cars get the ability to switch it on we'll see if any others have been delivered with it deactivated, but it does look very like it wasn't fitted to the initial 2021 refresh cars from Fremont despite the exterior design of the wheel changing - odd, but there you go.

Reactions: Durzel
It's a bit up in the air at the moment, MIC SR+ cars have the same part number for the steering wheel but do not have heating available or an option to update the car with it through the app. That suggests there is a software switch that's probably waiting for an app update and/or backend change at Tesla's end.

When those cars get the ability to switch it on we'll see if any others have been delivered with it deactivated, but it does look very like it wasn't fitted to the initial 2021 refresh cars from Fremont despite the exterior design of the wheel changing - odd, but there you go.
Yup, that sums up my feelings about it.

I expect we’ll see heated steering wheel become available for MIC SR+ (and current Fremont SR+) soon, perhaps within a few weeks.

I don’t think pre-MIC MY21 refresh cars have it, even if the wheel looks physically identical. Since MIC owners are upgrading to 2020.4.11 as well there’s no reason I can think of that this wouldn’t also unlock it on LR/P cars with the “refresh wheel”.

I guess we’ll know for sure soon enough.

Regen is now totally different from just a week ago. I thought the lack of it was down to the cold weather but is now almost at maximum from a cold start at 4C.
It may be just me but my SR+ does seem to have a few more horses when my foot is on the floor so have they allowed more power out of a cold battery as well as far more regen being allowed back in?

Why did they reduce regen in the first place? I know that lithium cells are damaged if charged at around 0C but this recent change has allowed a major increase in regen.
I'm thinking it could be because they are now using more of the battery buffer? I've noticed it and it much better IMO.

Yup, that sums up my feelings about it.

I expect we’ll see heated steering wheel become available for MIC SR+ (and current Fremont SR+) soon, perhaps within a few weeks.

I don’t think pre-MIC MY21 refresh cars have it, even if the wheel looks physically identical. Since MIC owners are upgrading to 2020.4.11 as well there’s no reason I can think of that this wouldn’t also unlock it on LR/P cars with the “refresh wheel”.

I guess we’ll know for sure soon enough.

The only reason I can think of is that they need to manage the roll-out of the firmware in case of major problems (like the earlier charging problem) and they need a minimum version before the functionality can be switched on, so they would probably want a majority of the fleet above a certain level - at which point they can flip a central switch.

Imagine how frustrated you might be if you knew that installing 2021.4.11 would give you a heated wheel but your car insisted it was up to date.

Heated steering wheel has been on Model S and X for ages. I cannot imagine that they cannot reuse much of that functionality.

imho, as happened with SR+ rear seat heaters, if there is hardware that can be retrospectively enabled, its going to come at its own pace - there was a considerable amount of time before SR+ had the ability to have rear seat heaters enabled even though the hardware and functionality on premium interior cars had been around for several years. imho, its more likely to be that a bigger picture needs to be kept to wrt subscription and possibly revised purchase ability when the much promised, now delayed FSD subscription rolls out. A further example being some purchase and subscription options on certain finance plans - clearly what we have now does not function in all circumstances and a revamp/relaunch would make a headline for EM.

And 2021.4.12
That was me!

Reactions: OttoR and Mark-R
I was surprised to see 2021.4.12 downloaded to my M3P this morning, since I didn’t see it on the sites I usually track (Teslafi, teslascope, notateslaapp, etc.) and it’s been a long time - as in, years - since I was the first to get any new update (I usually get them a few days after first discovery).

So if you’re subscribed to Teslafi updates and received an email stating “Software version 2021.4.12 was just detected on a Model 3 Performance in California”, that’s me!

Anyway, the only thing besides the typical bug fixes are “cold weather improvements”, whatever that is. No sight of any “Download FSD Beta” button, sadly.

View attachment 643823
@VanillaAir_UK - follow the link in @MarcG 's post (original with release notes quoted above).
@MarcG Release notes or it didn't happen!

Won't believe you if it just says bug fixes 😜

Reactions: Dilly
Did this update fix the auto wipers?

My usual commute this morning, the usual sloppy drizzle, the usual occasional drenching by driving through huge pothole puddles and..... the wipers were perfect!!!! I didn't need to override them once.

Confirmation bias? Did Glan's defection force the issue?

I'm finding this also. Auto wipers were hopeless previously, from leaving a drenched windscreen untouched to screeching at full speed on bone dry glass.

They have seemed spot on since 2021.4.11.

UI quirks aside, 2021.4.11 feels like a very solid release, everything appears to be working smoothly. Big improvements in voice controls and regen. Can't speak for wipers as I've never had an issue with them.

As for the missing front fog light button on the new MIC cars, I suspect given this is the first international batch of LR produced that Tesla simply forgot to enable that feature in the vehicle config.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
I've noticed significant improved voice control, from hearing totally unrelated sentences to what I said or not hearing at all, it actually works now.

Yep. Ran through a few random made up control phrases whilst parked up. It got interpretation of all of them correct but couldn't get any of the media search ones to work even though search phrase is as I would have typed. Many of the media search phrases didn't even return a good hit on what I asked. ie "Play life on mars by David Bowie" bout up a podcast about mars as a top result and, didn't have reading glasses on, none of the alternatives looked more relevant. I was kind of expecting a direct hit on Spotify, and even better would also have bought up the track from USB, but I'm resigned to that still not working.

2021.4.11 beginning to look a bit like a keeper, although I suspect some of the voice command improvements are behind the scenes.

Last edited:
Reactions: exlatccatsa
UI quirks aside, 2021.4.11 feels like a very solid release, everything appears to be working smoothly. Big improvements in voice controls and regen. Can't speak for wipers as I've never had an issue with them.

As for the missing front fog light button on the new MIC cars, I suspect given this is the first international batch of LR produced that Tesla simply forgot to enable that feature in the vehicle config.
Thanks @Medved_77 . I've been holding off installing it just in case..good to hear your positive experiences.

Reactions: Medved_77
Yep. Ran through a few random made up control phrases whilst parked up. It got interpretation of all of them correct but couldn't get any of the media search ones to work even though search phrase is as I would have typed. Many of the media search phrases didn't even return a good hit on what I asked. ie "Play life on mars by David Bowie" bout up a podcast about mars as a top result and, didn't have reading glasses on, none of the alternatives looked more relevant. I was kind of expecting a direct hit on Spotify, and even better would also have bought up the track from USB, but I'm resigned to that still not working.

2021.4.11 beginning to look a bit like a keeper, although I suspect some of the voice command improvements are behind the scenes.
I can’t get it to search USB either, even if I’m in USB