Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021.4.12 Release notes are out
Those notes are a summary of the last few releases where they’ve said “bug fixes”. This seems to be a common approach by Tesla… release small tweaks, call them “bug fixes” then a follow up release detailing a summary of the last few releases in the notes.

2021.4.12 Release notes are out
How come it says some of them are China only? The voice control is better here but it says China only.

Voice recognition is handled by both the car and the Tesla servers. Changes in the latter are independent of any release so can occur at any point in time and will not necessarily be mentioned in a release note unless it forms part of a larger change.

Many cars have a number of different regional features to worldwide fleet either because they are simply different for that region or there is a time lapse in rollout. It’s quite possible that the reference to Chinese only cars here is simply them playing catch-up to what the rest of the world already have or a Chinese region only enhancement.

Also worth noting to newer users, is that what is listed in the release notes is not the whole story. Its not uncommon for significant changes to occur from one release to another without even a passing comment. Especially common for the cars behaviour.

Last edited:
We don't really know where the voice recognition was improved plus I am sure we'll see undocumented improvements. But the actual recognition bit seems vastly improved. The media searching etc., I guess, is what it does with that that recognition.

The actual recognition is like night and day for me, before it was unusable. Unfortunately I didn't try immediately following the update because I kinda got use to not using it, I was waiting in the car and thought it might be amusing to try again - I wasn't expecting it to actually understand me but it did again and again. I was quite surprised.

We don't really know where the voice recognition was improved plus I am sure we'll see undocumented improvements. But the actual recognition bit seems vastly improved. The media searching etc., I guess, is what it does with that that recognition.

The actual recognition is like night and day for me, before it was unusable. Unfortunately I didn't try immediately following the update because I kinda got use to not using it, I was waiting in the car and thought it might be amusing to try again - I wasn't expecting it to actually understand me but it did again and again. I was quite surprised.
I think there has been a lot of back-end learning like Siri and Alexa. it is a whole lot better but still has some way to go

I had been holding on the last version before the UI update, but took the plunge with 4.11 this week.

The UI is as ugly as I thought it would be, but on driving with it I did find it very usable. Only real complaint is the left indictator icon is very far away. AP did seem pretty buttery smooth on my way to do some excercise today too. As @VanillaAir_UK said, this may be a keeper for a while.

Reactions: exlatccatsa
Well I’m pretty convinced the auto wipers have improved significantly. I did a 2 hour drive in darkness this evening, with varying amounts of rain and spray.

I would normally reach a point where I would get frustrated and manually turn the wipers on using the screen, but tonight, other than a few presses of the stalk button, I let the auto system have control and it worked well. There was a mixture of lit and unlit, fast and slow roads, so I covered most cases. I still think it works less well on unlit roads than it does on illuminated ones but the difference seems small now.

The system isn’t perfect and still needs a ‘nudge’ when in light drizzle but I think it’s pretty decent now.

Reactions: Avendit
I drove car over the weekend in the rain for the first time in ages. Still suffered with the wipers going mad when driving under a treelined section of road. Pressing the tip of the stalk seemed to calm them down, but that may just be coincidence. Didn't need to override in any other way, which is an acceptable outcome.

Reactions: OttoR and AnthonyLR
I drove car over the weekend in the rain for the first time in ages. Still suffered with the wipers going mad when driving under a treelined section of road. Pressing the tip of the stalk seemed to calm them down, but that may just be coincidence. Didn't need to override in any other way, which is an acceptable outcome.
Mine decided to wipe on a completely dry screen this morning. I left it in the hope that it would stop wiping, but it didn't. I turned them off in the end. Like you, they still also fast wipe for no apparent reason, albeit not as much as they once did.

Mine decided to wipe on a completely dry screen this morning. I left it in the hope that it would stop wiping, but it didn't. I turned them off in the end. Like you, they still also fast wipe for no apparent reason, albeit not as much as they once did.
I've seen that happen on frosty mornings where the windscreen has defrosted but the front camera's haven't as the heater isn't as quick as the blast of air on the screen.
Damn wipers run for ages on a dry screen until switched off.
I also think that a smeary windscreen at the top also triggers them.

I've seen that happen on frosty mornings where the windscreen has defrosted but the front camera's haven't as the heater isn't as quick as the blast of air on the screen.
Damn wipers run for ages on a dry screen until switched off.
I also think that a smeary windscreen at the top also triggers them.
all the more reason to dump to current methodology and go for the tried and tested, properly working hardware used by others. They've had years to get this right, and it still isn't.

Well I had to do about 200 miles today :cool: Mainly motorway and I noticed no issue with phantom braking but the other think I noticed, I put HVAC on auto for the first time in donkeys and I noticed that the fan speed seems sensible, last time it never dropped the speed below 5 but today it settled at 3. Has anyone else noticed a change?