Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2021.4.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got 18.2 and today 4 severe phantom braking issues. Never really had any before in over 7,000 miles
I have really noticed an increase of phantom breaking issues since the last update. I can also recreate the issue. In summary as you go past a junction on your nearside with a car waiting to pull out, as my car gets level (passenger door in line with the front of the waiting car) it slams on. Every time. I drive the same A road daily which has a number of junctions on it. Autopilot has always been good (occasional phantom breaking that everyone has) but since the last update this happens anytime a junction has a car waiting.

I have noticed in 18.2 that seat settings for driver profiles are not always sticking. I use easy entry and sometimes the car will display my profile name but the seat will remain in easy entry position. Putting my foot on the brake doesn't adjust the seat to the correct setting either. I have to manually select my driver profile again from the touchscreen.

I have noticed in 18.2 that seat settings for driver profiles are not always sticking. I use easy entry and sometimes the car will display my profile name but the seat will remain in easy entry position. Putting my foot on the brake doesn't adjust the seat to the correct setting either. I have to manually select my driver profile again from the touchscreen.
That's happening to mine when I play with profiles and easy entry(I have mine set to % and sport on miles), but this is not related to the latest update... so far in my case.

Long 350 mile drive today so tried to make best use of Autopilot.

Feels like the force required on the steering wheel to confirm observance is now much greater. Also, immediately after engaging autopilot on occasion I got a warning to pay attention, not a red lit steering wheel, but the message in a black border with a red exclamation mark.

Reactions: exlatccatsa

Long 350 mile drive today so tried to make best use of Autopilot.

Feels like the force required on the steering wheel to confirm observance is now much greater. Also, immediately after engaging autopilot on occasion I got a warning to pay attention, not a red lit steering wheel, but the message in a black border with a red exclamation mark.
I think I figured out on my last trip to High Wycombe that the red warning and alarm appears whenever there are cones in the vicinity. It took me a while to figure out what I was getting a bong alarm when normally it's just the blue flashing light. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

• Informative
Reactions: Medved_77
I have really noticed an increase of phantom breaking issues since the last update. I can also recreate the issue. In summary as you go past a junction on your nearside with a car waiting to pull out, as my car gets level (passenger door in line with the front of the waiting car) it slams on. Every time. I drive the same A road daily which has a number of junctions on it. Autopilot has always been good (occasional phantom breaking that everyone has) but since the last update this happens anytime a junction has a car waiting.
I had one of these the other day. Very disconcerting, not least because if the waiting car did pull out braking at that point would achieve nothing. Maximum acceleration might work better! Yet again it shows the challenge for AI and FSD. Somehow we can probably tell if the car is going to pull out as we approach. I don’t know how - but the FSD intelligence has to know.

did the car used to save autosteer preference with profiles? Doesn’t now but I don’t think I’d checked before. I turned it off in my wife’s profile as she won’t use it so wanted to remove it being accidentally activated, and noticed yesterday it was off for me too.

I experienced exact same behaviour last month prior to the 18.2 update, so disappointing this not fixed yet. Maybe we need to wait for the vision only system take over if this stems from vision/radar conflicts!? I recommend watching the YouTube videos featuring interviews with James Douma by Dave Lee for really informative discussion of the technology and issues affecting FSD. On the positive side, since installing 18.2 I have had excellent performance with FSD beta over hundreds of miles of motorway driving, no phantom braking, perfect lane changes, very reliable. Only issue with motorway driving is that roadworks with temporary speed restrictions are not recognised so I need to take over in these cases.
I am hoping we will see the much anticipated new FSD update from Tesla very soon now - I am guessing in, er, ‘about two weeks’…

I honestly havent used AP much since having the car but when I did on the older versions I did notice If I am in the "slow lane" and the car in the middle lane was driving slower than me then the AP would slow me down to match that speed even though no car in front of me. I assumed they did this to stop undertaking which I thought okay may be this a safety feature. So when trying AP last night on 4.18.2 I was in the slow lane and AP driving at max 50 cars on the middle lane driving slower than me but yet AP continued on driving at 50. Not sure what to make of this if it is normal behaviour as not really into using AP.

assumed they did this to stop undertaking which I thought okay may be this a safety feature. So when trying AP last night on 4.18.2 I was in the slow lane and AP driving at max 50 cars on the middle lane driving slower than me but yet AP continued on driving at 50. Not sure what to make of this if it is normal behaviour as not really into using AP.
Yes this is a feature to stop undertaking and has been in place for quite a few versions now.

There are cases where it will undertake, such in traffic jams, so it could be a speed related feature...?.. also you can override it by pressing the accelerator, and the car will then undertake

You can login directly with a google account (although not every google account for some reason). The youtube app is sandboxed now - nothing you do in the main browser will affect it (this is a good thing).
I tried that approach first Tony - wouldn't let me because of the 'insecure browser' issue, hence trying the other workarounds.

I'll perhaps try another reboot when the next update lands and see what happens.