Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK 2021 Orders and Pending Deliveries

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much did they charge you for your installation? Still looking at options and car delivered in 2 weeks!! Whoops
I went to Octopus Energy directly and for a tethered EO mini it was all in £625. One electrician, he managed to fit everything in the outside meter box, really happy, he also let me film the whole thing.

If you’ve only got two weeks then you’ll most likely won’t be able to get everything running before your car is here. Booking was earliest available for me (16th sept, and I booked at the end of august), then once it’s all installed you can use it but it takes a couple of weeks to switch to octopus go for the cheap 5p per kWh off peak. So all round you’re looking at 6 weeks.

Last edited:
How much did they charge you for your installation? Still looking at options and car delivered in 2 weeks!! Whoops
Pod Point installed mine in 17 days from ordering, it was booked for 13th October but then they manage to instal it yesterday, £600 total using the OZEV grant.

Definitely the best looking cheap tethered charging with the cables neatly wrapped round and hidden:
9AB7F435-4951-4C96-BB32-3CD5C19FD5CF.jpeg

Pod Point installed mine in 17 days from ordering, it was booked for 13th October but then they manage to instal it yesterday, £600 total using the OZEV grant.

Definitely the best looking cheap tethered charging with the cables neatly wrapped round and hidden:
View attachment 710433
And add to that Podpoint public chargers are everywhere - most of the time it is free in Tesco, Aldi and Morrisons - I guess. I charged again in the Lakes as a one off while I was doing the trip it was free there too. Just need to be mindful of the broken/non working public podpoint chargers.

One tip when the home charger schedule does not work properly is to set it up for everyday then it works flawless.

Thank you to everyone for the supporting messages after I missed the ominous call from Tesla regarding collection. You were all quite right: I phoned back today and they confirmed it was just a courtesy call to go through collection process. If you receive a call about 7 days before your collection, don't worry - hopefully just the same thing.

They did say due at the collection point 21st pm for collection 23rd. Didn't confirm any further back in the chain but they mentioned photo confirmation would happen at docks. As this wasn't confirmed I'm guessing it wasn't on Elektra so maybe one of the Zeebrugge ships returning via Southampton.

View attachment 710433
I've had the tethered PodPoint unit installed for 18 months now, never had to reset it, never had any issues with it. It's not particularly sexy but then it sits on the sidewall of my house, so not really noticeable. It keeps the cable tidy better than most as well.

A few months ago, the PodPoint app got an update to allow setting the start and stop times for charging per day. If you have a reduced rate tariff this works really well as you can bypass Tesla's odd management for charging and any 3rd party applications that use the API, and just plug the car in when you get home, knowing that it won't start charging until the reduced rate begins. Just be aware of how much charge can be delivered in the time frame you've setup so that you have sufficient for the following morning as the device will stop charging at the specified time or when the cars charge limit is reached, whichever is sooner.

Only disadvantage to the unit is that it doesn't have a button to open the charge port on the car so instead I've added an NFC tag to the unit which I scan with my phone (no need to unlock) whilst removing the cable from the holster so that the charge port opens instantly.

Ordering process was quick and easy, installation didn't take too long and fortunately being a Scottish resident and having larger grants available at the time the unit and installation cost me £59 all in.

Reactions: teaston
One tip when the home charger schedule does not work properly is to set it up for everyday then it works flawless.
yes it seems to be that if you don't set a schedule for a day then it's on midnight to midnight. If you need to give it an extra top up for a trip it gets fiddly.
Really the scheduling functionality belongs in the car. It should be able to work out how to make maximum use of any reduced rate period when it's parked at the home address and still hit the required charge level and preheat ready for your departure time.
Would be ideal if the charger could just tell the car what the preferred charging times are and let the car make the final decision.
Anyone have the spec for the charger comms protocol?

yes it seems to be that if you don't set a schedule for a day then it's on midnight to midnight. If you need to give it an extra top up for a trip it gets fiddly.
Really the scheduling functionality belongs in the car. It should be able to work out how to make maximum use of any reduced rate period when it's parked at the home address and still hit the required charge level and preheat ready for your departure time.
Would be ideal if the charger could just tell the car what the preferred charging times are and let the car make the final decision.
Anyone have the spec for the charger comms protocol?
Not sure at the moment that option is available in podpoint - Adam (medved_77) knows more about this. I have not set the scheduling in the car as people mentioned about some issues or it is bit clunky?. Anyone set this up in the car with pod point chargers?

Last edited:
I've had the tethered PodPoint unit installed for 18 months now, never had to reset it, never had any issues with it. It's not particularly sexy but then it sits on the sidewall of my house, so not really noticeable. It keeps the cable tidy better than most as well.

A few months ago, the PodPoint app got an update to allow setting the start and stop times for charging per day. If you have a reduced rate tariff this works really well as you can bypass Tesla's odd management for charging and any 3rd party applications that use the API, and just plug the car in when you get home, knowing that it won't start charging until the reduced rate begins. Just be aware of how much charge can be delivered in the time frame you've setup so that you have sufficient for the following morning as the device will stop charging at the specified time or when the cars charge limit is reached, whichever is sooner.

Only disadvantage to the unit is that it doesn't have a button to open the charge port on the car so instead I've added an NFC tag to the unit which I scan with my phone (no need to unlock) whilst removing the cable from the holster so that the charge port opens instantly.

Ordering process was quick and easy, installation didn't take too long and fortunately being a Scottish resident and having larger grants available at the time the unit and installation cost me £59 all in.
The charge port can be opened just by pressing the flap can’t it?

I went to Octopus Energy directly and for a tethered EO mini it was all in £625. One electrician, he managed to fit everything in the outside meter box, really happy, he also let me film the whole thing.

If you’ve only got two weeks then you’ll most likely won’t be able to get everything running before your car is here. Booking was earliest available for me (16th sept, and I booked at the end of august), then once it’s all installed you can use it but it takes a couple of weeks to switch to octopus go for the cheap 5p per kWh off peak. So all round you’re looking at 6 weeks.
Thanks for that. Luckily there are a few Genie 50kw charge points near which are free until end of October. I’ll get the install booked today.