Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[UK] 2023.44

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To those mentioning the steering wheel nags are more prominent, it may be the effects of the cabin camera monitoring? I had a long drive after updating and was quite flummoxed by the more frequent AP steering wheel and pay attention nags as I was holding the steering wheel in the same way I’ve been doing for the past 30k miles with no issues. Turned out the warning was coming up when I was turning my head to talk to the rugrat in the back seat. The warning that comes up appears to be the same whether the nag is triggered by the camera or the steering wheel torque sensor.

This eye tracking thing is a bit irritating isn't it? I've passed my driving test and know what I'm supposed to do as a driver, I don't need someone watching my eyes and beeping at me. Last night o a deserted M40 after midnight I looked at the screen just long enough to scroll the media play to see my trips and efficiency and BEEP.

When I turn off AP I can look wherever I like, without the benefit of cutting edge self driving helping me. Surely the requirement should be higher then and lower when using AP.

The point of AP is meant to be to reduce the workload on the driver, we seem to have regressed to something worse than 4 years ago when I first got a Tesla specifically for AP. I get that this is there to reduce Tesla's liability not my convenience, but I am starting to think they might have killed the main reason I bought the car.

Doesn't every option run off eye tracking now? Blue cruise does although that has the benefit of being hands-off.

Watching DirtyTesla it seems for beta users it has an initial nag when first enabled and not watching but then is a bit more lenient afterwards.

Undoubtedly it will be tweaked/changed/broken/fixed numerous times going forward.

Wouldn’t surprise if this update to the update strips the recall effects from UK altogether.
It doesn’t. I just did a drive on 2023.44.30.5.1 and can confirm the cabin camera is active and checking attentiveness.

I will say, however, that I only know this because I made a point of exploring these restrictions, knowing that they were there. I went out of my way to stare at the screen while in Autopilot, looking for a reaction. After maybe 2-3 seconds it told me on the screen to pay attention and did a single blue pulse like it does if you’re not torqueing the wheel after it’s told you to.

The steering wheel nagging seemed less than usual, given I was actively trying to prompt it to scold me, either the sensitivity has dropped or it somehow knew I was holding it 🤷🏻‍♂️ Could have just been psychosomatic.

The cabin camera attentiveness checks seemed speed based, I could look out the window in stop-start traffic without punishment.

Not going to lie - if people are getting burned by this new system then I’m starting to wonder just how inattentive they are on the road? If you’re staring at the screen for long enough for it to kick you out of AP then you’re travelling reasonable distances whilst not looking at the road..

I’m reserve full judgement until I’ve tested it at night, because my car is old enough that it doesn’t have the IR emitters that illuminate your face.

Reactions: Burley
Wha
It doesn’t. I just did a drive on 2023.44.30.5.1 and can confirm the cabin camera is active and checking attentiveness.

I will say, however, that I only know this because I made a point of exploring these restrictions, knowing that they were there. I went out of my way to stare at the screen while in Autopilot, looking for a reaction. After maybe 2-3 seconds it told me on the screen to pay attention and did a single blue pulse like it does if you’re not torqueing the wheel after it’s told you to.

The steering wheel nagging seemed less than usual, given I was actively trying to prompt it to scold me, either the sensitivity has dropped or it somehow knew I was holding it 🤷🏻‍♂️ Could have just been psychosomatic.

The cabin camera attentiveness checks seemed speed based, I could look out the window in stop-start traffic without punishment.

Not going to lie - if people are getting burned by this new system then I’m starting to wonder just how inattentive they are on the road? If you’re staring at the screen for long enough for it to kick you out of AP then you’re travelling reasonable distances whilst not looking at the road..

I’m reserve full judgement until I’ve tested it at night, because my car is old enough that it doesn’t have the IR emitters that illuminate your face.
What you just described sounds perfectly reasonable and shouldn't be an issue if you drive paying attention at the road. I'm guessing if the complaints about the camera check were related to one of the early versions or just people just suddenly realizing they had to look at the road......
I'll do my first motorway driving tomorrow so i can see it for myself...

Reactions: Durzel