Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some pics from Oxford Redbridge. The work is to one side of where I understand the superchargers and Fastned rapids will be so it must be just the initial electrical installations.

I’ve looked at the outline plans and artist’s impression since taking these photos. I think the work I photographed is the footings for the Fastned canopies and chargers. There was no sign of works where the superchargers are on the plans. The electrical installations are shown on the plans slightly further to the north.

• Helpful
Reactions: Elmet and CMc1
I can confirm the bases are going in at Newbridge . Stopped by for quick check on way past today but couldn't get a decent photo.
Photo of the new 8 in progress at Edinburgh Newbridge, note no space on the “pavement” due to the hedge so they dug up the tarmac to lay the cables and placed the plinths between bays. Should leave more space for car doors than the original 8 chargers which are behind the cars.

Attachments

• 596D2171-B40D-4234-B0C6-A78F37D49FC8.jpeg
    596D2171-B40D-4234-B0C6-A78F37D49FC8.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 413
  • Helpful
Reactions: cezdoc and CMc1
I’m awaiting delivery of a M3LR and took a look at the supercharger map to find out that we’re woefully lacking in chargers around the North East - particularly Teesside.
The idea is that you charge at home and supercharge when you are travelling therefore not having a supercharger nearby should not be an issue.
Having said all that, I'm looking forward to Winchester coming online!!😀

But if he regularly travels to the NE it will be a problem.

Other than Washington there is not much SC coverage. I regularly work in the area of Scotch Corner and the SC there is ideal for me. But heading north it is Washington or nothing to Adderstone
I’ve been travelling for last 2.5 years from across UK and not really found an issue. But do like the idea of more.

I’d imagine Tesla will look to have one near its Service centre in Newcastle (the current and surrounding site has power constraints already resulting in severely-load managed destination chargers at the SC).

Gateshead is planned to get 4 SuCs and GRIDSERVE hinted at another site (likely with SuCs) north of Newcastle.

Does anyone know if the Superchargers at Winchester Norton Park are publicly accessible? ABRP seems to think not?

Not used them for a few weeks, but they’re in the hotel car park and the hotel is currently open. Might be simplest to give the hotel a quick call

I’m awaiting delivery of a M3LR and took a look at the supercharger map to find out that we’re woefully lacking in chargers around the North East - particularly Teesside.
Yeah, as someone whop regularly visits the North east, the local of superchargers isn't good at all. Especially as where i live I'm practically swamped by them (if heston is true): Uxbridge, White city, Park Royal, Brent cross, Heathrow and other Heathrow

Add to that a potential Chiswick, Heston and, erm, Heathrow (again?) I know it's a more populous area but there is a big imbalance here

Looks like work has started on the BIG Tesla/Gridserve charging station at Reading Moto Westbound Services.
Drove through this morning and they've dug up the area at the back of the car park (the area on the planning permission http://planning.westberks.gov.uk/rpp/showimage.asp?j=20/01366/COMIND&index=1845065) and have loads of kit on site ready to be fitted as and when.
Couldn't see any Tesla branded stuff though unfortunately.

Reading Services 1.jpg
Reading Services 2.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like work has started on the BIG Tesla/Gridserve charging station at Reading Moto Westbound Services.
Drove through this morning and they've dug up the area at the back of the car park (the area on the planning permission http://planning.westberks.gov.uk/rpp/showimage.asp?j=20/01366/COMIND&index=1845065) and have loads of kit on site ready to be fitted as and when.
Couldn't see any Tesla branded stuff though unfortunately.

View attachment 739706View attachment 739707
Great news! I’ll likely be passing in the next couple of weeks so can grab some progress photos.
That makes 15 sites and 166 stalls currently being actively built.

Last edited:
I nipped into the Trafford Centre to check on progress. All the stalls look virtually completed with some temporary fencing around the transformers and other equipment. Most stalls were taken up with new cars awaiting delivery.

However, when I first visited it in September there was an initial trench running from the transformer area towards the actual Trafford Centre building. Although the trench is largely filled in, there is a big hole with cables in it by the main building. It looks like maybe it’s waiting for a connection to a suitable electricity supply.

Based on the local DNO’s efforts to unloop our property, if they are involved with this connection I’d probably say the ETA will be January, 2023.

Attachments

• CB414480-F19A-4F24-9293-4A35691A172F.jpeg
    CB414480-F19A-4F24-9293-4A35691A172F.jpeg
    577.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 22C0B4E8-F85B-48FD-B3BC-3CCED13C6E05.jpeg
    22C0B4E8-F85B-48FD-B3BC-3CCED13C6E05.jpeg
    448.5 KB · Views: 76
  • 2122A5A4-8002-45A9-A5EE-8844B6BFAAD6.jpeg
    2122A5A4-8002-45A9-A5EE-8844B6BFAAD6.jpeg
    1,006.8 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:
I may be putting 2+2 together and getting 5, but I notice Harrogate council has approved EV expansion at Wetherby Moto services, 24 new chargers. No mention of Tesla but from the plans it looks like a 12 + 12 split (suspiciously similar to Rugby Services set up). Although this is not too far from Ferrybridge where it looks like work has commenced on the upgrade to power.

link to planning docs

I may be putting 2+2 together and getting 5, but I notice Harrogate council has approved EV expansion at Wetherby Moto services, 24 new chargers. No mention of Tesla but from the plans it looks like a 12 + 12 split (suspiciously similar to Rugby Services set up). Although this is not too far from Ferrybridge where it looks like work has commenced on the upgrade to power.

link to planning docs
As you say no mention of Tesla, and no charging cabinets shown in the drawings, but 12 of the EV charger podia are oval just like Supercharger bases. The parking bay arrangement is different though: hatched areas at each side of the parking bays and the podia are aligned centrally rather than back left.
I'll raise your 5: I'm adding 2 + 2 and get 6 by speculating this is a new layout to allow easier 3rd party access to Tesla chargers :D

As you say no mention of Tesla, and no charging cabinets shown in the drawings, but 12 of the EV charger podia are oval just like Supercharger bases. The parking bay arrangement is different though: hatched areas at each side of the parking bays and the podia are aligned centrally rather than back left.
I'll raise your 5: I'm adding 2 + 2 and get 6 by speculating this is a new layout to allow easier 3rd party access to Tesla chargers :D
like your maths😂 even if this doesn’t turn out to be a SuC location it will be welcome additional capacity on this stretch of the A1 and with Ferrybridge looking like finally progressing there will loads of options

Reactions: cezdoc and browellm