Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Planning reference now found: P15/1758/C2, approved 06-Aug-21. If I understand correctly, the one of the planning conditions (specified in 2016) for this retail development was to provide electric vehicle charging points, and the supercharger (plus some some third party rapid units) allows that condition to be discharged. The site plan and Highways consultation response refer to a 12 bay Tesla Supercharger.
These are some distance from Merry Hill itself, and are better described as Brierley Hill really (I grew up in that area, when Merry Hill was still Round Oak Steelworks).

I can see them being popular for a SuC on the way home from wherever you’ve come from.

Reactions: cezdoc
Knutsford Services Moto - one to keep an eye on.
Planning Application by Scottish Power Approved: Installation of substation to support electric vehicle charging points at Knutsford Motorway Service Area. Planning Application 21/6425M
Scottish Power are currently digging up half of Knutsford. one.network shows digging should be done end of Feb 2023.

No sign of any car park layout. Let's hope. M6 South Bound currently has nothing in the 114 miles between Tebay Services (often busy) and Keele Services (4x v2), except Charnock Richard North Bound which has bollards so you have to loop up to the next exit and charge North Bound (just don't).

Looked up Knutsford a bit more. Funding is RIIO-ED1 Green Recovery Scheme awarded May 2021. Apologies if this is old news.

The list of MSAs.....OMG. Its finally coming. Tesla better have some deep pockets for all these new grid connections - you know you want to.

I don't think I got them all. Some funding is grouped and not all regions is it clear what got approved and what didn't.

Annandale Water
Baldock
Birch
Birchanger
Burtonwood
Cambridge.
Cardiff Gate
Cobham
Durham
Frankley
Gloucester
Gordano
Gretna services
Hamilton Services
Hapsford
Hopwood Park
Knutsford
Lancaster
London Gateway
Magor
Medway
Mochelwod
Northampton
Norton Canes
Pease Pottage
Peterborough
Pont Abraham
Poplar/Lymm
Rownhams
Sandbach
Scothc Corner
South Mimms
Tamworth
Thurrock
Tibshelf
Toddington
Todhills
Washington
Watford Gap
Wetherby
Wodhall

Looked up Knutsford a bit more. Funding is RIIO-ED1 Green Recovery Scheme awarded May 2021. Apologies if this is old news.

The list of MSAs.....OMG. Its finally coming. Tesla better have some deep pockets for all these new grid connections - you know you want to.

I don't think I got them all. Some funding is grouped and not all regions is it clear what got approved and what didn't.

Annandale Water
Baldock
Birch
Birchanger
Burtonwood
Cambridge.
Cardiff Gate
Cobham
Durham
Frankley
Gloucester
Gordano
Gretna services
Hamilton Services
Hapsford
Hopwood Park
Knutsford
Lancaster
London Gateway
Magor
Medway
Mochelwod
Northampton
Norton Canes
Pease Pottage
Peterborough
Pont Abraham
Poplar/Lymm
Rownhams
Sandbach
Scothc Corner
South Mimms
Tamworth
Thurrock
Tibshelf
Toddington
Todhills
Washington
Watford Gap
Wetherby
Wodhall
Are these new connections or upgrades to existing? Gordano, Michaelwood are already supercharger locations so wondering if this is new capacity?

Annandale Water
Baldock
Birch
Birchanger
Burtonwood
Cambridge.
Cardiff Gate
Cobham
Durham
Frankley
Gloucester
Gordano
Gretna services
Hamilton Services
Hapsford
Hopwood Park
Knutsford
Lancaster
London Gateway
Magor
Medway
Mochelwod
Northampton
Norton Canes
Pease Pottage
Peterborough
Pont Abraham
Poplar/Lymm
Rownhams
Sandbach
Scothc Corner
South Mimms
Tamworth
Thurrock
Tibshelf
Toddington
Todhills
Washington
Watford Gap
Wetherby
Wodhall
Have you not just listed all motorway service areas? I'm not sure that's news? 😃

Looks like Newark power is on but limitation might be opening of the host site.
BFBA8893-5704-47F0-87EC-8BC25DEBB274.jpeg

The tombstones feel like have been there forever, but have they had the SuC cabinets on site all this time too?
Yes, construction was spotted in September 2017 with all required cabinets and stalls on site; at that time I think the service area was being refurbished following a fire. Back then they were V2 chargers so a cabinet for every pair of stalls = 6 cabinets.

Regarding cabinets, at Hartshead E & W 8 stalls and four cabinets were installed in March 2017 at both service areas. By the time they were switched on at the end of September 2021, two stalls on each side had been removed but as far as I know the charger cabinets remain in place, becoming a sort of memorial for the lost Tesla stalls that were replaced by Applegreen rapids.

Reactions: Sean.
I also notice Hamilton, lots of new for M6-M74 users. I wonder why Anadale Water isn't being shown, we've seen the planning application.
And also:
- Bar Hill, on the A14 near cambridge too (although the marker is the wrong side of cambridge for Bar hill - the marker is near all the car dealerships by the aiport are)
- Stansted (there is already a SC at the services there but only 4 bays so often full)
- Godstone (round the bottom of the M25)
- Bridgport
- St albans
- Swindon
- Solihull

all q1 2024

Last edited:
Oswestry was winning on the UK vote map recently, anybody have any news of that? North Wales desperate for Supercharger coverage!
That is barely in Wales TBH. Better than nothing though. What I think would be an amazing location would be near Betws-y-Coed where the A5 meets the A470 so you could service both routes in one go. Unfortunately I think they are still on a quest for fire around there so probably don't have a suitable location with the necessary power supply.

1676388495039.png