Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And the Norfolk/Lincolnshire area and NW of Scotland. Cornwall only has Liphook also.
NW of Scotland is mostly empty space, and like in football empty space rarely scores a goal, so empty space rarely charges a Tesla. With Aviemore, Inverness, and Fort William now, and Aberdeen coming, Scotland is doing better these days. If I was doing a priority list, I would put one into Galloway, at or near the ferries to N. Ireland, which still has no superchargers at all.

Looks like the UK will soon jump ahead of Norway, Germany and France to take fourth place in the international Supercharger league table (behind the USA, China and Canada). Key: Red=installed, Orange=construction, Blue=permit
Superchargers.jpg

Reactions: cezdoc
Is that site or stall count or something else?

Looks too small for stall count when a site can have 8+ stalls each, but too many if sites. Not counted mind you, just 60+ seems a lot of sites.
I think they are Supercharger sites, as they also list 18327 'stalls' globally (which I assume is individual Supercharger stalls, so clearly a bit behind the 20k figure Tesla just celebrated). I haven't counted the UK Supercharger sites, but I agree 60+ sites seems a lot...

EDIT - Tesla list about 90 UK Supercharger sites (including approx 25 'coming soon'), so perhaps 65 installed is about right.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: MrBadger
Looks like the UK will soon jump ahead of Norway, Germany and France to take fourth place in the international Supercharger league table (behind the USA, China and Canada). Key: Red=installed, Orange=construction, Blue=permit
Yes I'd noticed this. One more open UK Supercharger site should result in the UK jumping ahead of Norway on the supercharge.info count chart (we'd be tied but the UK has more sites under construction and in planning). And given the number of sites in active construction this does seem likely to happen soon, even if one or two new ones open in Norway. However, regarding Germany and France I agree with @NewbieT :
Maybe we and/supercharger.info just have more visibility about new stalls. I don’t suppose Tesla drivers in all EU countries are checking their local planning system applications and submitting the data.
The supercharge.info chart suggests we're good at finding & sharing news of upcoming sites in the UK but that doesn't necessarily mean Tesla are more active here at the moment (they have been very active in 2020 compared with recent years though).

Even if all the UK sites "under construction" opened, we'd still be behind Germany and France, and unfortunately four of the UK sites "under construction" sites have been stalled for ages (several years in the case of Brighouse N & S). Add to that the fact that planning permission doesn't always convert to construction and jumping ahead of Germany and France "soon" looks more like a Tesla "Soon®" :rolleyes:

Is that site or stall count or something else?

Looks too small for stall count when a site can have 8+ stalls each, but too many if sites. Not counted mind you, just 60+ seems a lot of sites.
I have a tally of 66 UK sites (554 commissioned stalls, awaiting 2 more to go live in Inverness and not counting the 4 in wrappers for a while at Fleet Northbound). Pretty good going - there were 53 this time last year.

Supercharge.info's chart has 65 UK sites but 66 in the database - I asked about this and it's something to do with a split site (e.g. northbound and southbound) only being counted as one location to align with Tesla's own tally (not sure which one though - there are several in the UK that are like this). I think Norway is also one short on the chart so we're not cheating if we overtake them :)

One more open UK Supercharger site should result in the UK jumping ahead of Norway on the supercharge.info count chart (we'd be tied but the UK has more sites under construction and in planning).

Are we seriously suggesting we are about to jump ahead of Norway on the supercharger chart? This is a country with a population of only 4.5 million. We're light years behind them. The state of play in Wales would be a better comparison with Norway

Hopefully picking my M3LR up from Edinburgh in December and I think I might need a quick charge before I leave because I have a 135 mile drive home - looks like this one could be open in time.

That'll save me a trip to the airport :)

Picked my Raven MX up from Newbridge a year ago and not only was it immaculately prepped but also charged to 90% as they had noted how far I had to travel - around 120miles so had decided of their own accord to give it a higher charge than they normally do.

Felt a bit awkward taking pictures as workmen were present, will try and get some better shots on my return.

In other news, the service centre is actually moving, Multree walk sales shop closing, current site will remain for repairs only I think with a new site opening for sales and deliveries.
I know what you mean about taking pictures, good to respect privacy as well as avoid embarrassment!

I hope the new sales & delivery centre isn't the site in Glasgow! Given how much Tesla are expanding this year I doubt they'd give up an Edinburgh base though.

Are we seriously suggesting we are about to jump ahead of Norway on the supercharger chart? This is a country with a population of only 4.5 million. We're light years behind them. The state of play in Wales would be a better comparison with Norway
As a Welshman in exile I've been embarrassed by the state of play there regarding EV charging, especially rapid charge units (Superchargers or others). Maybe the Senedd are using Northern Ireland as their benchmark :rolleyes:. I don't know if there are specific issues in the principality - I have read that power supply is a problem for a proposed Supercharger site near Builth Wells.

Norway isn't a fair comparison either though, Google tells me the plug in car market share there is more than 50% (over 80% in September) compared with 9% in the UK. Places like Norway and California do show what's possible though, and closer to home even Scotland has built up (and continues to reinforce) a reasonable nation-wide single operator public network. So come on, Wales, pull your socks up!