Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki UK and Ireland Supercharger Site News

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is no mechanism/protocol (that I am aware of) for a vehicle to talk to any AC charger (ie pass vehicle’s VIN/MAC/SoC) via the type2 connector so I wonder how they will manage a non-free vend site so seemingly like the SuC network?

I’d imagine there will need to be some sort of user input - telling Tesla which stall you are at - whether in-app or in the car… to then enable the charging session.

DC charging is different hence why plug and charge exists for some CPOs.

There is no mechanism/protocol (that I am aware of) for a vehicle to talk to any AC charger (ie pass vehicle’s VIN/MAC/SoC) via the type2 connector so I wonder how they will manage a non-free vend site so seemingly like the SuC network?

I’d imagine there will need to be some sort of user input - telling Tesla which stall you are at - whether in-app or in the car… to then enable the charging session.

Model S/X with a type 2 plug have been communicating with superchargers just fine for years so I see no reason why all Teslas can't communicate with Tesla AC chargers via the type two plug if Tesla want it to be so.

Tesla ones have been able to do so for some time - using the same "1-wire-canbus" protocol as used at pre-CCS Superchargers. It's obviously been in the cars from the beginning(*) and then appeared in later generations of the (AC) Wall Connector.

Separately, the CCS specs allow for the use of the "digital data transfer" mechanism and protocols even on AC. This isn't new (it's covered in the 2012 edition of J1772 for example), but it's not clear how many cars support it usefully, and I haven't seen any evidence that Tesla have implemented it in their wall connectors (though I haven't been keeping a close watch lately).

Has true plug-and-charge actually been rolled out yet? Some operators jumped the gun and started doing plug-and-charge based on reading the MAC address out of the car - which could easily be done for an AC chargepoint too, but is rather insecure and only appropriate for a short-term transitional measure.

(*) Not counting Roadster.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado

It would be exactly the same as the Supercharging process for non-Teslas with the bay number being specified. The app has shown a wall connector in the non Tesla link.

Attachments

• 6DF1CC43-1C8F-4EF5-8099-ED442B6E428F.jpeg
    6DF1CC43-1C8F-4EF5-8099-ED442B6E428F.jpeg
    186.8 KB · Views: 91
The Celtic Manor is currently on free vend for there 18 AC chargers. They are single phase 7kw.

I’ve asked a senior member of staff if the charging is going to be free for the foreseeable. As far as he knows it is and he’s submitted a request to use the free charging offering in his marketing materials.

However you do have to pay for parking after 3 hours. (Free 30% charge isn’t to be knocked)

Parking fees are currently:
0-3 Hours Free
3-5 Hours £3.00
5-8 Hours £4.00
8-12 Hours £8.50
12-24 Hours £13.00
Overnight Resident £8.50 (charge per night up to 24 hours)

I live locally and walking around the golf courses of a weekend with the family is a lovely way to spend your time. So it’s a win win for me.

Not sure how long the free charging will last. I know these chargers are capable of billing. I don’t think Tesla released the functionality globally yet. Or at least in the UK.
Also there’s nothing near the chargers that looks posed to have a sign attached explaining how you’d start a charge for none Tesla owners.

Maybe it’s part of the Supercharger install deal.
We’ll give you the land, Tesla install 18 AC chargers and cover the £££.
Who knows?
I’m up the resort a couple of times a week. I’ll report back when I see or hear more.
Thinking about it further, I think it would be odd for the hotel to negotiate to have free charging for their customers rather than getting a direct financial benefit for themselves.
For 18x 7kW chargers and a £0.35/kWh example cost price, Tesla could be on the hook for £200k per year (50% utilisation). If they are actually 3-phase chargers, or if the price per kWh is higher (and government support is changing) then this would be even higher.
My gut feeling is that it isn’t realistic for them to be free long-term either from Tesla’s, or the hotel’s, point of view.
Hopefully we will get some further details soon

Or he was going to be there awhile and didn’t want to come back to his car.

I had that once at a hotel, someone was unplugging off a line 50kw rapid as I was plugging into a bank of 7kw chargers. They very much presumed I’d want the rapid but in reality I was going to be there overnight so a 7kw was more than fine. I was even good and went and unplugged later in the evening as the car was done before I went to bed…

Had a good snout round Beaconsfield services tonight, no sign of any new chargers/construction so assume this isn't happening or the potential Supercherger is going to be somewhere else.

As Extra are wedded to Ionity, and leaked details suggested the Tesla site was not at the services, it does appear that there’s not going to SuCs at Beaconsfield services anytime soon.

I’m sure this has been mentioned before.

Keele superchargers (service station)
Bit of a shambles… only 4 chargers here and there’s a queue of around 10 cars

Make it worse they are only 150kw chargers aswell.

Is there any news about the site being expanded?

I’m sure this has been mentioned before.

Keele superchargers (service station)
Bit of a shambles… only 4 chargers here and there’s a queue of around 10 cars

Make it worse they are only 150kw chargers aswell.

Is there any news about the site being expanded?
Unlikely to be an expansion anytime soon as this is a Welcome Break site. Welcome Break are focussing on building their own network rather than allowing Tesla to add more chargers, so if any extra power capacity is added to the site this will almost certainly be taken up by a bank of AppleGreen rapids.

These “green recovery” projects are funded by OFGEM which is in turn funded by DUOS (direct use of system) charges which fall upon bill payers.

You vastly underestimate the costs involved with overlaying cables, upgrading transformers (primary and distribution), upgrading services etc etc. There’s not enough money in the country let alone in OFGEMs coffers to do what you suggest.

The only sane option is to be smarter with the network we have, load manage, smart charge and upgrade where absolutely necessary.

FYI most mains cables are 3 phase it’s just that your service cable is single phase.

The biggest issue with PV generation is voltage rise, when your panels are generating power in the middle of the day the domestic load is almost non existent so the system voltage rises beyond the allowable statutory limits which would kick your inverter out (understandably pissing you off). For this reason PV volt rise is limited by limiting the amount of PV on each substation. There’s no easy way around this, even having your own substation (ridiculous) pushes the problem further up the voltage chain and then you run into harmonic issues.

Closing point - it’s all been looked at by people smarter than you and I and for many years, there’s no easy fix.

Is there no way to have bigger PV but curtailing export (maybe turning off panels accordingly if you have no consumption need)?

Is there no way to have bigger PV but curtailing export (maybe turning off panels accordingly if you have no consumption need)?
Yes, export limiters already exist and will, as the name suggests, limit the export. This will allow you to have a larger inverter and array of panels to allow self consumption but also limit the export to the “grid”. If every house was to limit their export to 3.68kW then in theory there is nothing the DNO can do as they have to accept that amount of PV - any infrastructure upgrades are at their cost.

Reactions: Mrklaw