Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UK Charge Point Installer Recommendations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wasn't targeting anyone in particular - ETTO of course, and I do understand wanting to have a Tesla charger with a Tesla car - it also does look good.

If it weren't for the aforementioned short comings, I'd definitely go for it over any other charger - in fact I wanted too, just when I started researching, I found it was falling a lot short compared to many of the newer smart chargers....of course some of this might change if/when they tie it in with the Tesla app properly.
The reason I went for the Tesla one:

- Installer recommended a dedicated board for any charger which would cover PEN fault detection regardless. So no extra cost there
- I hate the naff look of other chargers with silly light shows, only other one that tempted me was the Andersen(sp) but cost more than double.
- I don’t want yet another app on my phone to control something I probably won’t control much. Integration through the Tesla app is nice.
- I don’t want to trust some new startup like hyper volt with my data or possibly access to my car/power systems.
- I wasn’t convinced these companies will be around for long, if they fold who will pay for their server infrastructure and app development and maintenance… with no ongoing fee, their business plan relies on selling units, with becomes harder as their costs go up. At least the Tesla one should last as long as the car.
- Open port button is nice, don’t want to be fiddling around with your phone in the dark and rain. Also allows the kids to plug it in.
- As the charger is now “smart” in theory it can add all above functionality, solar, power wall integration in the future. Probably as likely as me getting around to having it installed 😂

Reactions: HertsChapY
I had my Andersen A2 installed well before delivery (only getting my MY next week). I only have a 60A fuse which SSEN is willing to upgrade to 100A but the meter tails need upgrading first and Octopus only gave me an appointment a month from now. Andersen went ahead and installed the charger anyway since they set it to adapt the power draw to remain under the 60A limit. I live alone and even using an appliance like the dishwasher or washing machine at the same time as charging I should still be able to charge at full power so not too bothered about the wait for the fuse upgrade.
Yes, you will have had a CT clamp fitted at the meter monitoring the current draw. For houses that are not using electricity for hot water and heating you will very rarely see your charge rate drop back. More headroom will be better of course, and it will allow for changes in home power use as we are all eventually going to have to move towards more electrical home heating.

I had a Tesla Wall Connector installed today by Electric Vehicle (EV) charging point installation | Elecology Just like @robmcm's experience with his installers (above), my install went without a hitch, power only off for approx 5mins with a good degree of warning. I would certainly recommend for anyone looking in the general South East, They are based in Hertfordshire, but think they go further the County boundary! Very helpful even just at quote stage, and very well positioned re: cost.

Reactions: robmcm
I also just had a charger (Hypervolt) installed by Elecology, up in Bedfordshire, and they did a fantastic job! The installer really went above and beyond to make a neat job of it, hiding the cable at the front of the house as much as possible. He was really friendly, helpful and honestly just seemed like he wanted to do a great job for everyone. Thoroughly recommend them to anyone in the area.

Reactions: HertsChapY
One word of warning to those looking to have a charger installed at home. I had a Zappi installed recently, and thought it was a good installation. A minor teething issue which only really showed up when I received my Tesla MY, which was quickly resolved by the installer.

However, now there's an issue with upgrading to a smart meter, and that the installer has put a consumer board into the meter cabinet. It's being resolved by moving the consumer board outside of the cabinet, but just a word of warning - avoid having anything put into the cabinet which isn't put there by the DNO.

Reactions: Roy B
One word of warning to those looking to have a charger installed at home. I had a Zappi installed recently, and thought it was a good installation. A minor teething issue which only really showed up when I received my Tesla MY, which was quickly resolved by the installer.

However, now there's an issue with upgrading to a smart meter, and that the installer has put a consumer board into the meter cabinet. It's being resolved by moving the consumer board outside of the cabinet, but just a word of warning - avoid having anything put into the cabinet which isn't put there by the DNO.
Mine did this too, luckily after the smart meter and mesh (antenna) were installed. It saved having to go into and back out of the garage as the charger is next to the cabinet and avoids adding any load to the main board (which only had one space).

I don’t think it’s for forbidden otherwise they wouldn’t get a certificate (and seem to have strict rules about this stuff), but I can imagine a DNO being annoyed if they had to move stuff about.

I don’t think it’s for forbidden otherwise they wouldn’t get a certificate (and seem to have strict rules about this stuff), but I can imagine a DNO being annoyed if they had to move stuff about.

No, I don't think it's forbidden either - however from what I've found so far, it's up to the house owner to ensure there is enough room for the DNO to be able to install their equipment. That's where the installation I had fell foul - there just wasn't enough room left for the size of smart meter that is going to be installed. Had I know about this earlier, I'd have insisted on the equipment being put outside of the meter cabinet. It has been quite a lot of chasing to find out all the information though - so hopefully this should help anyone else for the future.

• Informative
Reactions: robmcm
No, I don't think it's forbidden either - however from what I've found so far, it's up to the house owner to ensure there is enough room for the DNO to be able to install their equipment. That's where the installation I had fell foul - there just wasn't enough room left for the size of smart meter that is going to be installed. Had I know about this earlier, I'd have insisted on the equipment being put outside of the meter cabinet. It has been quite a lot of chasing to find out all the information though - so hopefully this should help anyone else for the future.
Great point, when I got the quote he mentioned he’d put it in the cabinet after checking there was enough room. I then made sure I got the smart meter (and antenna) installed before he came back 😂

Looks like Andersen have gone bust - wonder how big the impact will be?

I was on the fence between a Tesla Gen 3 charger and a Hypervolt, but news like this makes me think maybe its safer to go with Tesla in the long term in case other companies like Andersen go bust over the next few years and stop support/warranty? What does everyone think?

This is the concern with any smart tech - what happens if they go bust, product development is gone, no more software updates - what if bugs surface and it no longer works properly with newer vehicles, Then there is the product warranty - that's now gone.

I went with a Zappi for my charger - well established, 300,000+ units sold, large community with very active support forums etc. Still a possibility that goes bust at some point but less likely so.

The Andersen was very expensive and looked to me to be more style over function - that premium price meant far fewer sales.....

Looking at the company accounts they made a cumulative 2.5 million loss last year. This company hasn't really made a penny since formation in 2016 and has been running off share premiums and cash injections/loans. No wonder they couldn't find a buyer. It's one thing having growing sales and running at a loss for a number of years as you scale - but that all only works if your sales keep growing exponentially, if anything causes a hiccup (like industry wide delays and shortages for instance) then your house of cards will come crashing down.

In comparison, MyEnergi Ltd (Zappi makers) had a cumulative P&L of 4.9 million profit last year. They are scaling fast too and re-investing - but the difference is they are turning a considerable profit from their sales and not running at a loss.

Seems before you buy smart tech nowadays, you should not only do your research on the features and tech - but also on the company financial history if you are wanting future updates, customer support and a warranty that isn't just a piece of paper.

Last edited:
- I wasn’t convinced these companies will be around for long, if they fold who will pay for their server infrastructure and app development and maintenance… with no ongoing fee, their business plan relies on selling units, with becomes harder as their costs go up. At least the Tesla one should last as long as the car.

Didn’t expect this to be proven right so quickly.

Hi all. Currently getting quotes for south London Installation of Tesla charger.
Following recommendations here I’ve had an Elocology quote, but this is coming out a good chunk more than E-Charge Install, which is Tesla recommended too.
Has anyone else used E-Charge & would recommend them? Or any other recommendations?
Cheers

Had my Zappi installed yesterday by Voltix following several recommendations I've seen, including on here. Excellent experience all round from start to end, the installer was a lovely chap too. Was a not-straightforward install due to our house extension and old consumer unit and they were able to accommodate (I did put some boards up in the attic to help) and work with us without too much fuss. Was done quickly without any power interruption.

Highly recommended for anyone around central Scotland.

Reactions: Chimpy McChimp
Any ideas on what charger I should get since I’m getting a Model Y in the next few months and intend to sell the house in 3 years…
A good installer will guide you through this and provide quotes. Depending on the age and amount of spares in your consumer unit it may be cheaper to pick one charger over the other as for some you'll possibly need a new mini consumer unit and some extra electrical work done. Chargers like the Zappi have a lot of stuff built in to them so the price upfront for the charger may seem higher but might ultimately be cheaper to install as the electrician will need to do less work.

There are also things to consider like whether you have solar panels as some can integrate with this and charge when you have excess power.

Then there are things like whether you want a tethered cable, how long you need it to be, aesthetics, and convenience features like the little button the Tesla charger has.

Otherwise basically all chargers will do the same thing ultimately, so just get some quotes and decide from there.

They’ve been bought out of administration. Warranties honoured, ongoing sales and ongoing app development. For now, basically a name change over the door.