Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] Holiday update - 2020.48.26/.30/.35.x

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I quite like the new UI.

Sadly scheduled departure still won't work for me on Octopus Go. I just set it up and entered the end time for the 5p rate of 04:30. When I plugged in the car it started to charge right away :(

Either they need to allow input of a start charging time or simply aim to finish at approximately 04:30. I prefer the aim to finish approach because:-
a. It's only one piece of data for the user to enter
b. You will always end up fully charged by the end time and you might not with a charging window. I don't care if I'm really low and it starts to charge before 00:30 in order to ensure it's full by 04:30. You could always lower the the charge to % if you're keen on saving every last penny.
c. The later the car finishes charging the warmer the battery likely is by the time I come to use it, reducing the energy needed to precondition.

I cannot believe the UI made it through any sort of review or usability testing. I had just posted something similar in the general software thread section but here's the big points I see after spending some time with it today.

The new @tesla UI in 2020.48.26 is a total UX disaster. A big step backwards in usability and appearance. Everything is crammed together, the information hierarchy is all wrong, there are numerous anti patterns with colour usage and moves important icons out of eyeline

The speedometer is the most important part of this section; Not the car graphics. Shrinking it down and moving it off centre is a huge step backwards. I found it very difficult to pick up in my normal driving eyeline. It is also NOT on the same level as Autopilot speed and status. The hierarchy here is all messed up.

Moving the battery to a monochrome display makes it hard to see. (This also touches on the use of colour point I made) Green is good, yellow is be aware and red is you need to charge. Grey is too neutral. Having it next to the region/power lines also pushes them off-centre.

There is a ton of dead space on the screen now on the upper left. All of this lends itself towards the really cramped feeling the cluster of icons has. The previous iteration was balanced. This is like someone (drunkly) threw UI elements at a dartboard

Whoever had the great idea to colour the “D” icon blue blue and put it right next to the headlight icon needs to review that decision. In your peripheral vision, it looks like your high beams are on as it is universal that high beams are shown as blue.

The auto hold icon (H) that comes on when you’re stopped in drive is an important safety confirmation that used to show at the top of the screen. It’s now hidden beneath my steering wheel at the bottom of that strip of icons on the side.

All of this to say, I love my car, I love the ability to get OTA updates but this one feels rushed out, tries to solve problems that don’t exist and causes me to take my eyes off the road way more than I’m comfortable with. I don't mind the larger car and road visualisation area, my problem exists with all the crap around that circled below.

img_1678-jpeg.621484
Insightful post.

I haven’t driven the car yet with this update installed, but I agree with the general points you’ve made. As you say main beam is universally blue so it seems strange to have the gear letters be the same colour.

Not keen on the speedometer being much smaller and offset either, but I’ll reserve judgement until I drive the car.

I cannot believe the UI made it through any sort of review or usability testing. I had just posted something similar in the general software thread section but here's the big points I see after spending some time with it today.

The new @tesla UI in 2020.48.26 is a total UX disaster. A big step backwards in usability and appearance. Everything is crammed together, the information hierarchy is all wrong, there are numerous anti patterns with colour usage and moves important icons out of eyeline

The speedometer is the most important part of this section; Not the car graphics. Shrinking it down and moving it off centre is a huge step backwards. I found it very difficult to pick up in my normal driving eyeline. It is also NOT on the same level as Autopilot speed and status. The hierarchy here is all messed up.

Moving the battery to a monochrome display makes it hard to see. (This also touches on the use of colour point I made) Green is good, yellow is be aware and red is you need to charge. Grey is too neutral. Having it next to the region/power lines also pushes them off-centre.

There is a ton of dead space on the screen now on the upper left. All of this lends itself towards the really cramped feeling the cluster of icons has. The previous iteration was balanced. This is like someone (drunkly) threw UI elements at a dartboard

Whoever had the great idea to colour the “D” icon blue blue and put it right next to the headlight icon needs to review that decision. In your peripheral vision, it looks like your high beams are on as it is universal that high beams are shown as blue.

The auto hold icon (H) that comes on when you’re stopped in drive is an important safety confirmation that used to show at the top of the screen. It’s now hidden beneath my steering wheel at the bottom of that strip of icons on the side.

All of this to say, I love my car, I love the ability to get OTA updates but this one feels rushed out, tries to solve problems that don’t exist and causes me to take my eyes off the road way more than I’m comfortable with. I don't mind the larger car and road visualisation area, my problem exists with all the crap around that circled below.

img_1678-jpeg.621484
Don't know if it's been tweaked already but I'm getting grey text and fonts for the drive selection ....

Attachments

• 14A1FF7D-7597-4849-B808-FA32835135E9.jpeg
    14A1FF7D-7597-4849-B808-FA32835135E9.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 65
Just updated and currently sat charging. No boom box on my 2021 refresh.

The updated fsd display isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. However I’d love to have the option to resize the UI, the charging screen is a lot smaller. And there’s a lot of wasted space while in park.

The new positions of the icons I find to be... better? The Speedo is now closer to the edge of the screen (and hence the road), wish they’d move the door lock icon over as well.. The new location of the music button is welcome as well.

Autopilot and Auto highbeams seem to be better on my short drive to the super charger. However that maybe me convincing myself

Reactions: pow216
Well I quite like the new UI.

Sadly scheduled departure still won't work for me on Octopus Go. I just set it up and entered the end time for the 5p rate of 04:30. When I plugged in the car it started to charge right away :(

Either they need to allow input of a start charging time or simply aim to finish at approximately 04:30. I prefer the aim to finish approach because:-
a. It's only one piece of data for the user to enter
b. You will always end up fully charged by the end time and you might not with a charging window. I don't care if I'm really low and it starts to charge before 00:30 in order to ensure it's full by 04:30. You could always lower the the charge to % if you're keen on saving every last penny.
c. The later the car finishes charging the warmer the battery likely is by the time I come to use it, reducing the energy needed to precondition.

Can someone please clarify whether the new software update makes it impossible to programme the charging times to take advantage of the octopus go cheap rate. I currently schedule charging to start at 00:30 and set the charge limit at a % i know will be reached within 4 hours which works well for me. Is this still possible after the holiday software update or is there another approach that works?
I have always updated to the latest software in the past but if I loose the ability to schedule charging for 00:30-04:30 I’ll pass on this update as the current UI works for me and I’ve no interest in new games.

I understand all of that. However, I paid relatively the same for FSD in the EU as people paid in the USA. I'm waiting for full FSD to whatever standard can be applied in Europe. From the start, I've had an inferior product - I knew that and I was prepared to wait for the advance I was told were coming before the end of the year. I believe it will come but now, it's obviously much later and giving me a few games or a different look to my screen is getting dangerously close to insulting my intelligence. I want what I paid for - FSD - and I want to know when it's arriving.
Regulations!

I understand all of that. However, I paid relatively the same for FSD in the EU as people paid in the USA. I'm waiting for full FSD to whatever standard can be applied in Europe. From the start, I've had an inferior product - I knew that and I was prepared to wait for the advance I was told were coming before the end of the year. I believe it will come but now, it's obviously much later and giving me a few games or a different look to my screen is getting dangerously close to insulting my intelligence. I want what I paid for - FSD - and I want to know when it's arriving.

What's needed is a system that works instead of promises.

Reactions: Sparkeur