Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve found on 2022.36.6 the wipers are better - they seem to have swapped the hyper active way they worked before for a more reserved approach, almost too slow, but it’s a lot easier to trigger a manual wipe now and then than the previous “turn it off and try and set a sensible manual speed” or not use AP at all. Maybe they do listen!
I've found the same since 36.6 landed - wipers just seem more relaxed/less frantic and just need the odd flick now and again.

I am not experiencing any change in the wipers, yesterday on 36.6 they decided to go at a frantic speed unnecessarily.

However, after cleaning all (I mean all, especially the rear) cameras the wipers calmed down. Personally, I think there is a correlation between smudges on any camera and over feisty wipers.

Code was found last year that shows the wiper software uses all cameras.

Ok, it’s always tricky to judge . However, since 36.6 my wipers are behaving better and after just doing a long night drive, the AHB behaved reasonably well. I didn’t need to intervene significantly at all on dark roads, it behaved as expected, still erratic in well lit town though!

Ok, it’s always tricky to judge . However, since 36.6 my wipers are behaving better and after just doing a long night drive, the AHB behaved reasonably well. I didn’t need to intervene significantly at all on dark roads, it behaved as expected, still erratic in well lit town though!

You might be right, your view is just as good as mine.

I wish I could report the wipers were better for me, the inconsistency of the wipers and AHB really frustrate me. One day I'll think yay it's better, then the next I find it was just down to the "right type of rain". I haven't seen any consistent improvement since around 2021.4, I recall that was an improvement as they were even worse before.

Last year they retrained the wiper AI model using multiple camera feeds. In hindsight, this was a good clue of Tesla's vision only strategy for everything.

Usually though, if the wiper model or software had been updated then evidence in the code would have been reported. @greentheonly is usually on the ball with this.

Reactions: MB11 and MrBadger
Translated:
Good morning, tonight my Model Y Performance MJ 2023 was updated without USS with the latest software 2022.40.4. Even after this update, nothing is noticeable about a parking aid.

I took some pictures again. Nothing happened to the pictures shortly after last week's delivery. It also doesn't beep when it gets tight.

Translated:
Good morning, tonight my Model Y Performance MJ 2023 was updated without USS with the latest software 2022.40.4. Even after this update, nothing is noticeable about a parking aid.

I took some pictures again. Nothing happened to the pictures shortly after last week's delivery. It also doesn't beep when it gets tight.
i just wonder if his parking aid is enabled in the first place :/

Just a datapoint here from a different manufacturer:

Our 2023 Hyundai Ioniq5 has only four cameras, but also has five radars and a suite of front and back ultrasonic sensors. The camera views are incredible in clarity and color, the driver assist functions work consistently, the equivalent of Tesla’s TACC works without phantom braking, the blind spot awareness is fully-baked, Hyundai’s version of Dumb Summon (moving fore and aft) actually works in every situation we’ve tried, the 360º overhead view is quite impressive, and so far the auto high beams work as I would work them, and the rain-sensing wipers actually wipe when sensing rain again as I would. In these areas, I give the Ioniq5 the lead in driver assist over my Model 3 with EAP/FSD despite not having 8 cameras and my soon-to-be-disabled-through-software-regression radar and USS.

There are many things we like and prefer about the Ioniq5 and a couple of areas in which I prefer my Model 3, the Supercharger network mostly, but that lead is evaporating and lesser-cost alternatives are available (and working!) both near me and for the common road trips we take from North Carolina to Michigan and Florida. We like both cars for different purposes, well, I do though my wife has never liked the Tesla much, and we think our 2018 Model 3 will be our one and only Tesla as vehicles more to our liking are now available and we expect even more so in the future.

Our 2023 Hyundai Ioniq5 has only four cameras, but also has five radars and a suite of front and back ultrasonic sensors. The camera views are incredible in clarity and color, the driver assist functions work consistently, the equivalent of Tesla’s TACC works without phantom braking, the blind spot awareness is fully-baked, Hyundai’s version of Dumb Summon (moving fore and aft) actually works in every situation we’ve tried, the 360º overhead view is quite impressive, and so far the auto high beams work as I would work them, and the rain-sensing wipers actually wipe when sensing rain again as I would. In these areas, I give the Ioniq5 the lead in driver assist over my Model 3 with EAP/FSD despite not having 8 cameras and my soon-to-be-disabled-through-software-regression radar and USS.

There are many things we like and prefer about the Ioniq5 and a couple of areas in which I prefer my Model 3, the Supercharger network mostly, but that lead is evaporating and lesser-cost alternatives are available (and working!) both near me and for the common road trips we take from North Carolina to Michigan and Florida. We like both cars for different purposes, well, I do though my wife has never liked the Tesla much, and we think our 2018 Model 3 will be our one and only Tesla as vehicles more to our liking are now available and we expect even more so in the future.
You are comparing a 2023 Ioniq5 to a 2018 Model 3 - one of the very early ones I believe. I wonder what you'll think of the former in 5 years time...

If no one saw it - here's interview with AI guy who left tesla.

I kind of understand the premise why they remove it. But that is only IF they take one thing into account. and sadly there are more issued that just the points he mentioned and I think this TV only approach is dangerous and stupid.

moreover, results from other manufacturers, which show that same functionality with sensors work better than without as tesla implemented, is just another proof that some of devs there are delusional and drive in california only,

Your view is very much that of my pal with recently arrived GV60... He is greatly amused at my choice - just as I am questioning it.. But given all the rate rises and so on I am not changing now as I would end up paying hugely more for a GV60 than i am for my Tesla. I have to hope that software improves a bit.

Reactions: H43lio and CWT3LR
You are comparing a 2023 Ioniq5 to a 2018 Model 3 - one of the very early ones I believe. I wonder what you'll think of the former in 5 years time...
What has changed in the Model 3 in the areas he mentioned since 2018? Essentially nothing. A 2018 Model 3 is the same as a current one in those areas, it has the same number of cameras, same issues with auto headlights & wipers, etc.

What has changed in the Model 3 in the areas he mentioned since 2018? Essentially nothing. A 2018 Model 3 is the same as a current one in those areas, it has the same number of cameras, same issues with auto headlights & wipers, etc.
What Tesla appears to have done is decided that a 2018 must be able to do what a 2023 does. So, cameras only, no development of other sensor feeds, no recognition of the strengths and weaknesses of LIDAR / hi def radar / long range USS. Whereas other manufacturers with second mover advantage can easily see what works, and what doesn't, and build on Tesla's failures. I wonder what the likes of Mercedes will come up with over the next 5 years, given the fact an S class usually has the tech that all cars get 10 years later?

Fair point, and I obviously don’t know. I do know that the Ioniq5 has also begun to get OTA software/navigation updates so anything could happen. I also know that today’s Model 3 is quite different from my Model 3 in ways that are good (e.g., quieter, auto lift trunk lid, heated steering wheel) and for me not so good (Homelink extra cost, premium connectivity extra cost, no radar, no USS, no lumbar support, now $200 mobile charging kit, my color choice is now $1500 extra cost, EAP/FSD now $21,000 vs. $8000 when I bought, and so on). Could be the same 5 years hence for the Ioniq5 putting it well into Genesis territory, or not. Just don’t know. The comparison still stands for me.

Reactions: H43lio
is just another proof that some of devs there are delusional and drive in california only,
Nothing to do with California. We have a ton of snow in the Sierra, ton of rain up North and ton of sun in the South. So, if they really want to they can test it all without leaving the state.
In the winter I have the back of the car totally covered with snow and pillar cameras fog up very easily. No amount of object persistence can help if cameras are covered. On the other hand, radar works well and the USS are positioned in such way that snow falls from them.