Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what you’re implying but this was taken after the car was fully defrosted. The B Cams stayed frosted even after a 20min trip.
Well, from what I have read, Tesla finally seems to have realised that their customers occasionally are to be found outside southern California and will be fitting heaters / fans to the revised cameras. What is clear in most things Tesla is the complete lack of testing that other manufacturers undertake to make sure their cars can cope.

Well, from what I have read, Tesla finally seems to have realised that their customers occasionally are to be found outside southern California and will be fitting heaters / fans to the revised cameras. What is clear in most things Tesla is the complete lack of testing that other manufacturers undertake to make sure their cars can cope.
well if only there was a solution how to a void such problems, like, you know, some sensor or something, that would make life easier...

There's never a perfect time to buy. People who bought in November or early December have been significantly worse off in monetary terms. At least you haven't suffered that.

HW4 has been on the cards for a while, even since there was an announcement of the Samsung 5MP contract. Arguably both that and HD Radar coming back was always going to be imminent this year.

Reactions: randompixel
What I don’t get is, how is adding additional cameras cheaper than USS units?
There's never a perfect time to buy. People who bought in November or early December have been significantly worse off in monetary terms. At least you haven't suffered that.

HW4 has been on the cards for a while, even since there was an announcement of the Samsung 5MP contract. Arguably both that and HD Radar coming back was always going to be imminent this year.
If you’re talking to me, we bought 3 cars in late Dec for the business so paid £20K more than if we waited a few days - for less features and customer service that is some of the worst I’ve ever experienced.

Great, so I get no USS AND cameras that out of date at launch, this not upto the task of executing TeslaVision outside of California or the Atacama F******G desert - WHEN IT ARRIVES.

You can’t make this up.
Oh, did you hear that Tesla just lowered their prices by $5-7k? Given the rumors about new radar and new cameras, it is likely that the cheaper cars will have better features. Sorry!

If you’re talking to me, we bought 3 cars in late Dec for the business so paid £20K more than if we waited a few days - for less features and customer service that is some of the worst I’ve ever experienced.
I don't think HW4 adds new cameras (in fact it's reported to take one away from the front, but the remaining ones are higher resolution). it does apparently add camera heating on the sides which should have been there from the start.

Did you buy from inventory or as actual orders? If inventory did you not get the 6000 supercharger miles and ~£3k (or more) discount on inventory?

if not, then yeah - you're more unlucky than most, but as said there's always something new or improved coming around the corner. There are people that bought just before the heat pump, or bought just before Ryzen, etc.

Reactions: Ratch

I doubt that cost has much to do with USS removal. It is probably the shortage of sensors coupled with the belief in Tesla Vision dogma.

I don't think HW4 adds new cameras (in fact it's reported to take one away from the front, but the remaining ones are higher resolution). it does apparently add camera heating on the sides which should have been there from the start.

Did you buy from inventory or as actual orders? If inventory did you not get the 6000 supercharger miles and ~£3k (or more) discount on inventory?

if not, then yeah - you're more unlucky than most, but as said there's always something new or improved coming around the corner. There are people that bought just before the heat pump, or bought just before Ryzen, etc.
I bought just before the MS refresh and super happy about it. Had I waited a couple of months I would have probably bought something else.

I doubt that cost has much to do with USS removal. It is probably the shortage of sensors coupled with the belief in Tesla Vision dogma.

I don't believe in a shortage of sensors at all. Have other manufacturers been delivering cars without parking sensors? Is it remotely difficult to buy generic parking sensor kits online?

They were removed because Tesla wanted to, because it saved them ~$113 per car. Removing them means they aren't exposed to any potential shortage and - like the rain sensor they removed - their costs are not influenced by third parties. Never mind that these technologies are proven and robust, and people have come to rely on them. Customers are an afterthought.

I don't believe in a shortage of sensors at all. Have other manufacturers been delivering cars without parking sensors? Is it remotely difficult to buy generic parking sensor kits online?

They were removed because Tesla wanted to, because it saved them ~$113 per car. Removing them means they aren't exposed to any potential shortage and - like the rain sensor they removed - their costs are not influenced by third parties. Never mind that these technologies are proven and robust, and people have come to rely on them. Customers are an afterthought.
I have always liked the argument for the Allegro Wheel - what Tesla pompously term the "yoke".

"You can see the dashboard driver display more clearly with the yoke!"

"Why do you now want to fit it to the 3/Y, which doesn't have a driver display?"

"Errrr...."

Appears to be a case that the chip shortage prevented USS from being fitted, not a shortage of USS sensors. Tesla famously overcame most of the constraints of the chip shortage through clever engineering.

Tesla appears to have bandwagoned on the fact others had to temporarily delete USS or delay delivery. If other manufacturers - unable to get the control modules / chipsets to activate the sensors - weren't fitting them, there would have been a glut of sensors available - but Tesla chose poorly.

• Informative
Reactions: H43lio and Durzel

Appears to be a case that the chip shortage prevented USS from being fitted, not a shortage of USS sensors. Tesla famously overcame most of the constraints of the chip shortage through clever engineering.

Tesla appears to have bandwagoned on the fact others had to temporarily delete USS or delay delivery. If other manufacturers - unable to get the control modules / chipsets to activate the sensors - weren't fitting them, there would have been a glut of sensors available - but Tesla chose poorly.

Ughhh, there's a sensor shortage!!! :)

It's a semiconductor shortage - not just 'chips'. USS have the electronics onboard to process the analogue ultrasonic transducer return echo and provide two way comms to the control module. So they themselves are affected by this shortage. If it's not the USS themselves affected why have several manufacturers cut parking sensors specifically? I dunno, seems like trying too hard to conclude Tesla did this for no reason whatsoever than to save some bucks. Like I said before, they're evil, but I don't think quite that evil. The shortage was definitely a factor forcing them to act and they just dealt with it the most pro-shareholder anti-customer way possible.

• Disagree
Reactions: Ratch and MP3Mike
There was a shortage of sensors/chips for all. However, the other manufacturers were clear at the time of configuration that if you want the car now then you will not have USS (with appropriate discount). If you were willing to wait/pay more you could get the USS.
Tesla was focused on delivering as many cars as possible (EM packet was linked to scaling deliveries and he needed the $$$) so slowing deliveries because of chip shortage was not an option. Additionally, that was an opportunity to push the TV thing. Individual sensor/chip cost probably did not factor much into the decision.
Now, with the USS gone from the new cars, it is just a matter of time disabling them in the existing fleet. That is a stronger cost saving argument - single code base and less inventory to maintain. The TV dogma is still applicable, though.

• Informative
Reactions: H43lio and Ratch
Ughhh, there's a sensor shortage!!! :)

It's a semiconductor shortage - not just 'chips'. USS have the electronics onboard to process the analogue ultrasonic transducer return echo and provide two way comms to the control module. So they themselves are affected by this shortage. If it's not the USS themselves affected why have several manufacturers cut parking sensors specifically? I dunno, seems like trying too hard to conclude Tesla did this for no reason whatsoever than to save some bucks. Like I said before, they're evil, but I don't think quite that evil. The shortage was definitely a factor forcing them to act and they just dealt with it the most pro-shareholder anti-customer way possible.

Thanks for the response. Please provide evidence there was a shortage of USS last year, that extended beyond mid October when Tesla announced their deletion. Oh, and if you can explain why the chip shortage that lasted from January 21 to about November 21 affected Tesla in October 22 that would be swell too. While you are searching, maybe you might find some theories how BMW resumed deliveries of USS equipped cars before last spring, as did GM, Peugeot, hordes of Chinese manufacturers?

Ughhh, indeed.

There was a shortage of sensors/chips for all. However, the other manufacturers were clear at the time of configuration that if you want the car now then you will not have USS (with appropriate discount). If you were willing to wait/pay more you could get the USS.
Tesla was focused on delivering as many cars as possible (EM packet was linked to scaling deliveries and he needed the $$$) so slowing deliveries because of chip shortage was not an option. Additionally, that was an opportunity to push the TV thing. Individual sensor/chip cost probably did not factor much into the decision.
Now, with the USS gone from the new cars, it is just a matter of time disabling them in the existing fleet. That is a stronger cost saving argument - single code base and less inventory to maintain. The TV dogma is still applicable, though.
Why dress it up as a ‘move to an advanced vision system’ - that isn’t even ready and nobody knows when it will be.

Another way of looking at this is Tesla taking payment for features that are not included - in what other industry would this be acceptable?

How insane does this sound - ‘Pay for Aircon now and when we’ve got it working we’ll retrofit it.’ The fact that Vision is software and not physical parts makes no difference to the point I’m making and should be no less acceptable. And before you say it, USS is just as valuable to me as AC, living in a packed city where spaces are tight (and it never gets that hot).

Last edited:
A typical view from my rear camera following a trip down the M40 in winter. Good luck with that Tesla Vision.

1674559486830.png