Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: boombap and H43lio
🤷‍♂️ my rental is the base "Design" model, only the GS model and above get sensors etc ... I would wager the above new law would not apply to "new cars" but actually to "newly homologated" cars.
There is no law in the UK for this, those are old articles.

The fact you can configure vehicles without rear cameras and parking sensors online (and that we both have them!) tells you everything you need to know.

Don't believe me? The Dacia Duster Essential has neither. You can order one today like that.

Last edited:
nobody knows as the only pic ever seen is that blue one.... :)
I have a 2023 model Y and the front wing camera's are the old type like the left picture not the blue car, they are very poor at rendering colour a bright red car looks like a very dull washed out orange. They dont seem to get obscured though even when driven on the dirty uk roads as per the last few days, the rear camera however is a deifferent story and gets totally blinded by road grime very quickly. I wonder why we cant have a view of the B pillar cameras on the screen as this may be helpfull when parrallel parking for the front wheels.

Reactions: H43lio
I have a 2023 model Y and the front wing camera's are the old type like the left picture not the blue car, they are very poor at rendering colour a bright red car looks like a very dull washed out orange.
The fender cameras do not detect red color correctly - their gamut is shifted/limited. That has been the case since introduction. It is another cost reduction because for their AP functionality they don’t even need to be in color. Blind spot/parking utilization was a later addon, which, arguably, does not benefit a lot from color either.
Whether such “corner cutting” is the expected approach for such expensive vehicles is a totally different topic.

Reactions: boombap
The fender cameras do not detect red color correctly - their gamut is shifted/limited. That has been the case since introduction. It is another cost reduction because for their AP functionality they don’t even need to be in color. Blind spot/parking utilization was a later addon, which, arguably, does not benefit a lot from color either.
Whether such “corner cutting” is the expected approach for such expensive vehicles is a totally different topic.

It’s got nothing to do with cost or ‘cornet cutting’, the rest of your post is correct. The cameras colours are calibrated for machine vision not human vision. You could make it show normal colour if you want but that would make it sub optimal for its primary our pose.

The whole putting the camera feed on when indicating thing is something that someone posted on Twitter and musk implemented it long after the car was designed and was never intended to to be a feature.

Reactions: boombap
I’m really curious to know why (no sensors) but reverse camera with the view park assist is coming is not something yoy could work with?

I would love to have faith in TV, but i live in a terraced house with bumper to bumper parking (in a student area with lots of bad parkers), The rear camera would be ok, but how can the car know the front distance when the camera is placed in the windshield. if camera were on the bonnet/grill then they could offer 360 view which would also work.

If i had off street parking there is NO issue, but when you park in the street 365 days a year, its just not making life easier

If they don’t make the technology work, I do think they retrofit.

They will never move backwards
Why would you retrofit when it wont be integrated with the tech, would seem pretty pointless, after all what are you paying for "The Tech"

Reactions: boombap and H43lio
I noticed last night driving down my unlit driveway how much I used to rely on sensors and a camera that was under the badge of my old car (it opened when car was in reverse) never used to have an issue reversing out the drive as the camera was almost always clear and the sensors have that extra level of confidence in the dark. Last night I had to clear the camera and still go very very slow (the brake lights being on helped with visibility)

Mrs. McChimp and I even discussed getting driveway lights installed which would involve digging up the drive the install electrics.

I noticed last night driving down my unlit driveway how much I used to rely on sensors and a camera that was under the badge of my old car (it opened when car was in reverse) never used to have an issue reversing out the drive as the camera was almost always clear and the sensors have that extra level of confidence in the dark. Last night I had to clear the camera and still go very very slow (the brake lights being on helped with visibility)

Mrs. McChimp and I even discussed getting driveway lights installed which would involve digging up the drive the install electrics.
Just put a Ring Camera up.... they even do battery / solar powered ones...