Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered my Tesla Y long range dual motor with Enhanced autopilot and FSD in Sep 22, In November was advised that vehicles without USS would be delivered with Park, Park Assist, Summons and Special Summons inactive for a short period of time. I was concerned and contacted Tesla to cancel the order but was assured that it was only for a short period of time and would be reinstated in the New Year via a software update, fortunately I followed up and had it confirmed in writing.

I contacted Tesla a few weeks ago and received this reply, I will give it a little longer before taking legal advice.

Our team don’t have an exact date on when we can expect Tesla Vision to be available. As formerly stated, we are working promptly to develop software. You can expect this feature to be available via an over-the-air software update.

Rest assured your vehicle will notify you as soon as the update is available to download. If you would like to keep informed through other means, feel free to subscribe to our newsletter. If you are not already subscribed to the distribution list, you may do so here - Get Updates.

Thanks again for your patience and understanding. Please accept our apologies for any inconveniences the current delays may be causing.

The Customer Resolutions team remains available to you for any further feedback or questions.

Why on earth would Tesla remove USS sensors without knowingly having a working alternative, are they taking customers for mugs?
But you were told about USS removal and still proceeded. I’m not saying it’s right, but you were warned. Proceeding with the purchase ‘on some promise’ is frankly naive. In Writing or not is bollocks. Look at all the money customers have spent on FSD that never happened. It was ‘in writing’ what features they would get but was complete bollocks.

From previous posts he seems to have been under the impression that autopark and the summons were part of FSD and that's what he wanted. I tried to clarify for him with the hope of maybe clearing up a mistake while he might still have an opportunity to get a refund on at least FSD, but he didn't respond. It almost look like he's been taken advantage of to the tune of £3400!
Yes thanks for your reply and clearing up the issue, I understood at time of ordering that with FSD any software or hardware would be made available throughout the future ownership of the vehicle. Regarding Enhanced autopilot I feel that will be a further disappointment as the features are important. I note ordering Tesla now that Enhanced Autopilot is still being advertised (but Park) has disappeared. additionally there is no warning that some features will not be available with the removal of the USS on vehicle deliver. I assume just before delivery Tesla will send out a disclaimer for signature.
I thank the group as sound advice is given and if I decide to keep the vehicle will join up for full membership. Its a great car to drive but without summons (for easy entry when other park close), no parking sensors to warn of obstructions plus looks like we will loose exclusive use of Tesla chargers, exploring other vehicles.

Yes thanks for your reply and clearing up the issue, I understood at time of ordering that with FSD any software or hardware would be made available throughout the future ownership of the vehicle. Regarding Enhanced autopilot I feel that will be a further disappointment as the features are important. I note ordering Tesla now that Enhanced Autopilot is still being advertised (but Park) has disappeared. additionally there is no warning that some features will not be available with the removal of the USS on vehicle deliver. I assume just before delivery Tesla will send out a disclaimer for signature.
I thank the group as sound advice is given and if I decide to keep the vehicle will join up for full membership. Its a great car to drive but without summons (for easy entry when other park close), no parking sensors to warn of obstructions plus looks like we will loose exclusive use of Tesla chargers, exploring other vehicles.
Bear in mind that even with a functioning Summon, it is pretty rubbish on our side of the pond too due to UN / EU regulations.
In actual conditions from my own experience, you have to stand less than 5ft from the side of the vehicle to actually get it to work.

• Informative
Reactions: CWT3LR
My assumption, or wishful thinking, being a Q3 delivery with USS :
The -20% discount that Tesla did at the beginning of the year is to liquidate the stock of all HW3 non-USS cars. Then, when HW4 with HDRadar will officially be released and will equip all new inventory, they will rise prices again.
No complaints from the crowd that got a good deal on a HW3 car just before release then. Just like Apple offering discounts on the soon-to-be obsolete iPhone model every year at the end of August...
Guys who got deliveries in Q4 22 got the sh*ttier end of the stick though...
Yes I agree, that said customers have long memories, if it turns out that Q4 ends up a Sh*ttier deal then I will never look at another Tesla, on the plus side as Teslas resale value has fallen the plus side is that they have forced competitors to reduce prices . I believe that there is a growing choice of great EV vehicles deals. You can only fool somebody once!

Yes I agree, that said customers have long memories, if it turns out that Q4 ends up a Sh*ttier deal then I will never look at another Tesla, on the plus side as Teslas resale value has fallen the plus side is that they have forced competitors to reduce prices . I believe that there is a growing choice of great EV vehicles deals. You can only fool somebody once!
Would it not be Q4 22 and Q1 23 cars...?

You can only fool somebody once!
Not being argumentative here but a magician would beg to differ 😆.... On a serious note. Granny (God rest her soul) was scammed with postal crap all the time and she kept replying/falling for it even though "everyone" used to tell her these were scams. The last resort was to vet all her mail and filter it to her. Unfortunately, there are many many people out there like her :(

But you were told about USS removal and still proceeded. I’m not saying it’s right, but you were warned. Proceeding with the purchase ‘on some promise’ is frankly naive. In Writing or not is bollocks. Look at all the money customers have spent on FSD that never happened. It was ‘in writing’ what features they would get but was complete bollocks.
I think that’s a bit harsh, your point would hold if it wasn’t for the associated promise

If I was effectively told “no parking sensors but short term issue which will be addressed via an OTA update” I’d assume it was a short term issue that would be addressed via an OTA update.

So what’s short term? 3 months? 6 months? A year?

The U.K. order page doesn’t even warn you the features are “coming soon”

🤯
B57DCF2D-AF07-4EB5-A719-174A45606735.jpeg

• Informative
Reactions: H43lio and CWT3LR
If I was effectively told “no parking sensors but short term issue which will be addressed via an OTA update” I’d assume it was a short term issue that would be addressed via an OTA update.

So what’s short term? 3 months? 6 months? A year?
What is a car's life? 15 years? 20 years?

So, I would say 1-2 years is "short term" in terms of the life of the car. ;)

I agree with you, I contacted Tesla to cancel the vehicle, where I was assured in writing that the functions would be available in the new year. That said under UK law Tesla may not have an easy ride as their support explanation stated " Coming Soon" For a short period of time" and "assured that it will be available in the new year".

Reactions: UrbanSplash

At the very least pursue a refund for FSD if you've any bargaining chips left, like rejecting the vehicle. The promise about buying FSD granting free hardware upgrades was long gone by the time you ordered, and with the recent announcement of HW4 and that there will be no retrofits in older vehicles, the final nail is well and truly in the coffin. FSD is literally worthless in the UK now and for any foreseeable future, and it's bordering on criminal they can still sell it, imho.

EAP at least has two out of five features working and usable, and the rest may come back sooner or later with the vision replacement. I mean they can't pull this USS thing and just never deliver anything - something has to be coming.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Not according to tesla

At the rate I drive 130k miles would be more than 20 years.

I would say 8 years

Tesla allows an extended warranty to a max 8 years .

This would suggest that is the max vehicle life.

Not anymore. Tesla doesn't offer an extended service contract on any of their current vehicles.

At the very least pursue a refund for FSD if you've any bargaining chips left, like rejecting the vehicle. The promise about buying FSD granting free hardware upgrades was long gone by the time you ordered, and with the recent announcement of HW4 and that there will be no retrofits in older vehicles, the final nail is well and truly in the coffin. FSD is literally worthless in the UK now and for any foreseeable future, and it's bordering on criminal they can still sell it, imho.

EAP at least has two out of five features working and usable, and the rest may come back sooner or later with the vision replacement. I mean they can't pull this USS thing and just never deliver anything - something has to be coming.
A solution could be to for Tesla to add colour Bluetooth coded stick-on pads to the front and rear bumpers to interact with the entertainment app activating the "FART" mode which could identify and warn which part of the vehicle is close to the obstruction.

• Funny
Reactions: Boza and CWT3LR
Picked up my car in November and only once I thought “could do with USS here”

Not sure why everyone is panicking for some sensors. The car is loaded with camera’s everywhere

Tesla Vision will be released and then really can only comment on how things are.

Surely I can’t be the only one that doesn’t miss USS? I didn’t have it on my old car, so maybe that why? 🤷🏽‍♂️