Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car should be able to see out of the rear view mirror.......Model Y all you see is the cross bar, Model 3 all you see is half of everything that's no where near the car. I've said it before, if any car ever needed camera's and sensors, not as a luxury but as an absolute essential, then it's a Tesla.
And any car produced in 2023 should have basic features like this available especially if it costs £50k-£60k as base price.
My 2014, £5k Fiat 500 has reverse sensors! And you can pay a measly upgrade (when buying new) to have front sensors too.

Reactions: CWT3LR
Anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car should be able to see out of the rear view mirror.......Model Y all you see is the cross bar, Model 3 all you see is half of everything that's no where near the car. I've said it before, if any car ever needed camera's and sensors, not as a luxury but as an absolute essential, then it's a Tesla.
lots of vehicles don't even have a rear view mirror. Vans, lorrys, milkfloats, BMW's (I assume)

Anyone who gets behind the wheel of a car should be able to see out of the rear view mirror. Model Y all you see is the cross bar, Model 3 all you see is half of everything that's no where near the car. I've said it before, if any car ever needed camera's and sensors, not as a luxury but as an absolute essential, then it's a Tesla.
Clearly the gentleman has not tried to park a Model Y as its impossible to see rear without camera which need support from USS sensors for distance, front similar to rear. Maybe we should get rid of indicators and brake lights after all most old folk used to use hand signals and were part of the driving test in 19667.

On a more serious note whilst trying to park at my local Gym in Barnet Park, I was concentrating and focused on not hitting anything in reverse that I did not spot a young child on a sit on push toy in front of me, luckily I spotted the mother running up and stopped. USS sensors would have picked the child up, cameras did not........... Removal of USS sensors without a working alternative is just criminal and a disregard to a safety.

Maybe they should remove the landing sensors on Elton Musk's jet and for his pilot to rely on vision to land with a note on the cockpit "coming soon, deactivated for a short period"

Reactions: CWT3LR and blower
Clearly the gentleman has not tried to park a Model Y as its impossible to see rear without camera which need support from USS sensors for distance, front similar to rear. Maybe we should get rid of indicators and brake lights after all most old folk used to use hand signals and were part of the driving test in 19667.

On a more serious note whilst trying to park at my local Gym in Barnet Park, I was concentrating and focused on not hitting anything in reverse that I did not spot a young child on a sit on push toy in front of me, luckily I spotted the mother running up and stopped. USS sensors would have picked the child up, cameras did not........... Removal of USS sensors without a working alternative is just criminal and a disregard to a safety.

Maybe they should remove the landing sensors on Elton Musk's jet and for his pilot to rely on vision to land with a note on the cockpit "coming soon, deactivated for a short period"
Jesus!!!! Glad everyone is ok..

Just to be certain, did the camera not pick it up or did you somehow not see it? Was this recorded at all to re-watch?

Because I’m starting to wonder whether this could be the start of a safety concern case against Tesla.

We all know that you see jacksh** in a model 3, but with a Y it’s even worse and with the removal of the sensors and lack of alternatives.. I’m a bit.. concerned (however temporary this may be).
Especially since anyone with a clue about Tesla know about “Elon/Tesla time”.
I can bet nothing will be available until at least 3rd quarter, maybe 4th.

We can be pretty sure that one or another Chinese guy is figuring out how to build this as we speak.

A bit of lateral thinkling and they're alraady available from a sister company to Abstract Ocean

lots of vehicles don't even have a rear view mirror. Vans, lorrys, milkfloats, BMW's (I assume)

Yeah....i dunno how those lorries parallel park into a tight spot or reverse into a supermarket bay. Maybe Tesla should install a system of loud beeping or get the boombox to start screaming 'Warning vehicle reversing', whenever we go into reverse.....much like those rear view mirrorless lorries and vans.

• Funny

Just to be certain, did the camera not pick it up or did you somehow not see it? Was this recorded at all to re-watch?

Because I’m starting to wonder whether this could be the start of a safety concern case against Tesla.

We all know that you see jacksh** in a model 3, but with a Y it’s even worse and with the removal of the sensors and lack of alternatives.. I’m a bit.. concerned (however temporary this may be).
Hi I am relatively new to Tesla, I have looked through the dash camera but not recorded, maybe I have not set it up correctly as I have replaced the memory stick with a terabyte hard drive (correctly formatted) and assumed I was recording every journey. I know that it records/ save
Yeah....i dunno how those lorries parallel park into a tight spot or reverse into a supermarket bay. Maybe Tesla should install a system of loud beeping or get the boombox to start screaming 'Warning vehicle reversing', whenever we go into reverse.....much like those rear view mirrorless lorries and vans.

on honk, Will look at the user manual this evening.

Autopark is still there.

Do you mean park assist - the beepy beeps? That's a standard feature and not part of EAP.

Pretty shocking all the deactivated features are still advertised in black and white with no indication they dont work! But that's why I say they really must be delivering something soon. Unlike vague claims about self driving, this is blatant, clear and actionable. Advertising features that don't exist. Can't drag this out for long surely.
If you go to order a new Tesla Y Enhanced autopilot only lists:- Navigate on autopilot, Auto lane change, Auto park, Summon and Smart Summons, it appears that Park Assist has been removed... that's was the function that identified objects at 5 MPH or under. So does this mean that the original features cannot be restored using vision cameras alone.

The other point of interest that somebody posted a catalog part number for the Tesla Y's wiring loom with and without USS wiring harness and they were identical and had the same part number. So is there a possibility one could have the USS retrofitted ?

• Informative
Reactions: blower and jr_gn
The other day I drove into Cheddar and there was a huge low loader with a large digger on the back doing some manoeuvre. If he can do it without all this tech* why can't we?

* He had a banksman. Maybe they consider pre-emptive safety more important than willy waving about how skilled they are. According to Wikipedia, in the UK over a quarter of vehicle related deaths at work are due to reversing vehicles.

• Love
The other day I drove into Cheddar and there was a huge low loader with a large digger on the back doing some manoeuvre. If he can do it without all this tech* why can't we?

* He had a banksman. Maybe they consider pre-emptive safety more important than willy waving about how skilled they are. According to Wikipedia, in the UK over a quarter of vehicle related deaths at work are due to reversing vehicles.
When I had a job playing with buses, anyone who reversed unaided on school premises would cost their boss the contract. And I have seen bus drivers who could reverse so well that they could get to within a cm on three sides. Didn't matter - no banksman, no contract the next day.

If you go to order a new Tesla Y Enhanced autopilot only lists:- Navigate on autopilot, Auto lane change, Auto park, Summon and Smart Summons, it appears that Park Assist has been removed... that's was the function that identified objects at 5 MPH or under. So does this mean that the original features cannot be restored using vision cameras alone.

Park Assist was never described there under Enhanced Autopilot because it was never part of EAP. Park Assist is/was a standard feature. So they didn't remove it, so it's non-removal is not indicative of anything! :)

It is still described in the user manual, and while they have inserted 'if equipped' after any mention of sensors, the description is still clearly of the old USS system, which is very silly. And misleading.

When I had a job playing with buses, anyone who reversed unaided on school premises would cost their boss the contract. And I have seen bus drivers who could reverse so well that they could get to within a cm on three sides. Didn't matter - no banksman, no contract the next day.

Fair enough - you could place the vehicle within a mm but that doesn't mean you can see what is impossible to see. Hence need of a banksman to avoid squishing the little ones.

Reactions: Blueskye
Humans have amazing adaptive brains. We can deal with no parking assistance, we can deal without mirrors, we could drive the thing even without heater, windows and probably seats. But paying a certain price creates expectations. When those expectations are not met resentment starts to build.
Not that we cannot park without the USS sensors. But for $50k+ we expect certain things to be there.

Humans have amazing adaptive brains. We can deal with no parking assistance, we can deal without mirrors, we could drive the thing even without heater, windows and probably seats. But paying a certain price creates expectations. When those expectations are not met resentment starts to build.
Not that we cannot park without the USS sensors. But for $50k+ we expect certain things to be there.
THIS!
I hate how these posts start ego demonstrations of car driving capabilities!
I don’t understand how this point gets missed.
Do people get their Teslas for free? Because I have to pay about £55K (£60K when I ordered) for mine and I want ALL the bells and whistles even if I will never use them!

Hi I am relatively new to Tesla, I have looked through the dash camera but not recorded, maybe I have not set it up correctly as I have replaced the memory stick with a terabyte hard drive (correctly formatted) and assumed I was recording every journey. I know that it records/ save

on honk, Will look at the user manual this evening.

The other point of interest that somebody posted a catalog part number for the Tesla Y's wiring loom with and without USS wiring harness and they were identical and had the same part number. So is there a possibility one could have the USS retrofitted ?

Blueskye, I was not aware that Teslas dash camera system differs from normal dash cameras where all journeys are continually recorded and the last file overwrite when memory reached its limit, so sadly the clip was not saved. Whilst all the setting were correctly set in both dashcam and sensory, I know now that unless honk, emergency breaking or physically saved the previous recorded would be deleted after at start of new journey. Whilst I hope this type of incident never happens, without USS its only an accident waiting.

I also hope that with Tesla introducing one terabyte hard drive that there maybe a software to constantly record and re-record over old clips. This would be useful as often police appeal to motorists for any dashcam footage where incidents has taken place and captured by passing motorist.

THIS!
I hate how these posts start ego demonstrations of car driving capabilities!
I don’t understand how this point gets missed.
Do people get their Teslas for free? Because I have to pay about £55K (£60K when I ordered) for mine and I want ALL the bells and whistles even if I will never use them!
You'll never get a car exactly as you want. Every car is a compromise. If you don't like the compromises Brand X has then buy Brand Y. I'm pretty sure there's a reason that you ordered a Tesla instead of a Fiat.

You'll never get a car exactly as you want. Every car is a compromise. If you don't like the compromises Brand X has then buy Brand Y. I'm pretty sure there's a reason that you ordered a Tesla instead of a Fiat.
Yes, but when you spend £50-60k on a car you expect certain things, such as decent lights, wipers that work and parking aids. The fact that someone can parallel park a juggernaut with their eyes closed doesn’t excuse the lack of parking aids. Especially when there’s no replacement in sight.

Yes, but when you spend £50-60k on a car you expect certain things, such as decent lights, wipers that work and parking aids. The fact that someone can parallel park a juggernaut with their eyes closed doesn’t excuse the lack of parking aids. Especially when there’s no replacement in sight.
Well don't buy the car that doesn't have USS. Tesla will keep behaving this way while people keep buying their cars. Capitalism 101.

Reactions: Js1977