Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What's this? A new software update but still no TeslaVision parking sensors? Well i, for one, am not surprised by this.

What's this? A new software update but still no TeslaVision parking sensors? Well i, for one, am not surprised by this.

No update for USS removal. But strangely most of the update requires premium connectivity or stopping at a Supercharger. Elon trying to get ancillary revenues up a bit, clearly.

We already have all of those features from earlier updates.

• Helpful
Reactions: CWT3LR
Never used it.. we use discord. There's zero appetite for a camera based meeting system at our place. When lockdown started we tried lots of stuff and there was massive pushback for anything involving cameras, so that left slack and discord, and slack wanted a lot of money..

Zoom would be what we'd use if it became necessary I think.

• Informative

Truly shocking, indeed. And well said: no surprise. It’s six months now right? So maybe not ”soon.” Or more likely, not “ever.”

Truly shocking, indeed. And well said: no surprise. It’s six months now right? So maybe not ”soon.” Or more likely, not “ever.”
Elon Musk thinks like this: I have a bright idea how to save $100 a car.

1677950697396.png

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
Had a ranger out last week. Reckons there is going to be a 3d parking view. Did admit that there is discussion amongst employees of a possible uss retrofit
Chinever, Tesla have got to sort this problem out and fast, if its a retrofit so be it. Tesla have gone too far and cannot suppress or contain this adverse PR which is spreading giving free publicity to all the other EV manufacturers who are holding prices but not skimping on parts and equipment. Whilst Tesla is slashing prices and cutting equipment to save a few quid the brand is loosing its status as a luxury vehicle, soon I expect it will be buy one get one free.

Surely Tesla isn’t a luxury vehicle?! It’s certainly no BMW or Audi. Tesla simply isn’t interested in you as a customer… but it works. Top selling car in UK… look around, every other car is a white Tesla. Regarding removal of USS, it was what was best for them, not you, not your experience. I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, just that’s what it is. Complaining or legal again regarding removal of USS is pointless in my view. Expending a load of effort… for what? Tesla don’t care. Best thing to do is simply never to buy one again if you’ve issue with them.

We already have all of those features from earlier updates.
Hi,
Not all updates apply to all countries!
Zoom, Apple Music, sentry camera view etc. were rolled out a while back - but were not available in all regions (including where I live) - but it appears this update means they will now be available here - so good for me!
Back to topic - a total clusterf**k from Tesla on this one!
I don’t believe that Tesla will ever be able to adequately replace USS function with vision on these recently delivered cars - and I seriously think they will need a USS retrofit campaign for these cars.
Future & refreshed models will see HW4, camera on front bumper (or light housing) and radar - only then will they not need USS, in my opinion.
Cheers
Steve

• Informative
Reactions: 4monks and CWT3LR
Hi,
Not all updates apply to all countries!
Zoom, Apple Music, sentry camera view etc. were rolled out a while back - but were not available in all regions (including where I live) - but it appears this update means they will now be available here - so good for me!
Back to topic - a total clusterf**k from Tesla on this one!
I don’t believe that Tesla will ever be able to adequately replace USS function with vision on these recently delivered cars - and I seriously think they will need a USS retrofit campaign for these cars.
Future & refreshed models will see HW4, camera on front bumper (or light housing) and radar - only then will they not need USS, in my opinion.
Cheers
Steve
Model s and x have just been released with HW4 and are now in the wild. They don’t have a front bumper camera (or similar) - same config as HW3 🤷‍♂️ who knows the answer is.

For now, they have already said they will remove them in 2023.
What Tesla say and what Tesla do are entirely separate things.

My guess is 3 and Y will see the return of USS when Tesla can't get a vision system to replicate them. Leaving about 8 months of cars with neither USS nor a functioning system based on vision. And then the class action suit will follow or some brave and principled soul like @RafP gets a win in court and make them retrofit or cough up.

What Tesla say and what Tesla do are entirely separate things.

My guess is 3 and Y will see the return of USS when Tesla can't get a vision system to replicate them. Leaving about 8 months of cars with neither USS nor a functioning system based on vision. And then the class action suit will follow or some brave and principled soul like @RafP gets a win in court and make them retrofit or cough up.
Based on what evidence?

All they have advertised is a park assist function, they stopped advertising ultrasonic sensors back in April 2022. Even if the replacement is rubbish and not as good as the old sensors, feature is delivered and fills the promise.

The issue you have with Tesla is that they (and many other car manufacturers) advertise functions, not specific hardware. That means they can change it through the lifecycle if the car at will. So it all rests on how long is reasonable for them to deliver the function they told you was ‘coming soon’ on or before when you took delivery.

The S/X sensors are probably a different part with a different supply chain and supplied on different commercial terms. You can’t just point to that and come to a conclusion.

They will not retrofit, it’s never going to happen.

I’ve seen RafP’s thread, how much do you honestly thing Tesla will be made to cough up?

It’s genuinely not a material function of the car which also has a bunch of cameras pointing out the back. For some extra context, in the pre WLTP days before car options were all bundled into packs, parking sensors was normally £200-£300 depending on the brand.

Even if they win, the total compensation they are likely to win will be in the hundreds. The total costs to Tesla will be £lol, but almost all of it will go to lawyers and not the person bringing the case.

There are no punitive damages to be had in the U.K., any damages have to be realistic and assessable. They may win but the judge deem there to be no damages, that’s also a possible outcome.

They could also lose and Tesla counter claim for their costs.