Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

[uk] UltraSonic Sensors removal/TV replacement performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it is the other way.
We are not bloody living in caves in utter darkness to use sonars to park a car. It is a bloody car and science has given us lots of other things to make a place brighter. Better get some lights.
WE ARE NOT blind. Cars are.

car camera quality, especially when dark and rainy - is like semi blind mole.

unless you think that tesla cameras have super sharp sight.. like cats.. :D

I think it is the other way.
We are not bloody living in caves in utter darkness to use sonars to park a car. It is a bloody car and science has given us lots of other things to make a place brighter. Better get some lights.

I work with measuring hundreds of objects per second potentially in close proximity to each other. We need to measure location to a few cm or so over distances that may be many 10’s of meters.

We trial multiple sensor types simultaneously so can compare the relative performance of them.

Guess what. Pure camera vision is the worse performing and the only reason why we might consider using them is that they are ‘cheap’ in comparison with some of the other technologies. .

Some sensor technologies give us accurate locations bus inferior visual properties than pure vision cameras that might give better visual interpretation but poor location. AI perception of objects tells us what we are looking at ragardless of technology.

We work as a partner with various sensor manufacturers. Some pure vision based, some not.

tl;dr if you want something to look pretty, you use a vision based camera, if you want to accurately know where it is, you choose something else.

There may be a reason why SpaceX use non vision technologist in some situations…

Last edited:
Interesting debate but surely the simple answer for cars is that a mix of camera based vision and sensors is the best option for accurate and safe operation. In order of all round effectiveness in all weathers, night and day, I’d imagine it’s:
1. Cameras + Sensors
2. Sensors only
3. Cameras only

I don’t see any argument other than cost saving or irrational blind (no pun intended) optimism to conclude, as Tesla have, that only using cameras is the best possible option.

Obviously it’ll be interesting to see the real-life experiences and evidence over time but I hope that my sensor equipped Model Y continues to use them in parallel to cameras, rather than getting hobbled by a future software release, which I fear will be the case as I can’t see Tesla wanting to maintain multiple streams of software.

Interesting debate but surely the simple answer for cars is that a mix of camera based vision and sensors is the best option for accurate and safe operation. In order of all round effectiveness in all weathers, night and day, I’d imagine it’s:
1. Cameras + Sensors
2. Sensors only
3. Cameras only

I don’t see any argument other than cost saving or irrational blind (no pun intended) optimism to conclude, as Tesla have, that only using cameras is the best possible option.

Obviously it’ll be interesting to see the real-life experiences and evidence over time but I hope that my sensor equipped Model Y continues to use them in parallel to cameras, rather than getting hobbled by a future software release, which I fear will be the case as I can’t see Tesla wanting to maintain multiple streams of software.
I would expect that the software will test for the presence of USS hardware and use it. If the test fails it will use cameras. They could even put in an on/off toggle for the USS in the UI. It would surely only take a short piece of code.

1. Cameras + Sensors
2. Sensors only
3. Cameras only

The argument, that I'm not remotely qualified to offer an opinion on, is that each type of sensor is prone to a degree of false detection, and safety means you should always err on the side of caution so it therefore increases the number of false detections e.g. tells you to STOP or applies brakes. If you can achieve the required level of safety with one type of sensor then the other adds no value.

I also have USS and they have never detected a kerb, and I (once) damaged my alloys on such a kerb, as I would suggest most people here have done. While I haven't driven into a wall, I'm not very convinced that's down to the USS as it seems to spend most of it's time telling me to STOP. Would I trade losing service in some weathers for kerb detection? maybe. might be nice to have a toggle.

Reactions: spdpsba
Well I just got the update.
Tested it in the garage - it loaded instantly, there was no delay at all. It accurately mapped the garage walls around the car, however seemed to think the closed, white garage door in front of the car wasn't there.

I drove 50 miles to work this morning on the M5 through heavy rain and spray. the rear camera is very blurred out, covered in muck and water; car says Park assist unavailable, yet when I reversed to park in my car park, the park assist stuff all worked perfectly, It even saw the curb I was reversing up to, it told me to STOP at the appropriate time. I don't have USS, just tesla vision. So far, it seems to work fine and is better than not having anything for the last few months.

Well I just got the update.
Tested it in the garage - it loaded instantly, there was no delay at all. It accurately mapped the garage walls around the car, however seemed to think the closed, white garage door in front of the car wasn't there.
That's the kind of false reading you'd expect.. it sees something lighter in front of it and assumes it's daylight. It would be fun to park in front of a mirror..

20230331_074206.jpg

Mine was pretty useless this morning when I arrived at work. Tried it parking in a space forwards last night when I went shopping and thought that worked well car knew the kurb was there when the front cameras couldn't have seen it because of the bonnet.

I drove 50 miles to work this morning on the M5 through heavy rain and spray. the rear camera is very blurred out, covered in muck and water; car says Park assist unavailable, yet when I reversed to park in my car park, the park assist stuff all worked perfectly, It even saw the curb I was reversing up to, it told me to STOP at the appropriate time. I don't have USS, just tesla vision. So far, it seems to work fine and is better than not having anything for the last few months.
Don’t say it works the mob here will throw bricks because they want this to fail :)

Reactions: Redbaron73
I don't want it to fail. I desperately want it to work and work well. I just downloaded last night and had a very quick try out this morning. So far not very impressed. Parking between two cars the display jumped from saying 24inches to stop with very little movement from the car. The 24 inches was probably accurate and the car maybe moved a further 2 inches before telling us to stop.

Also at home we pulled up to a fence and it said 24 inches and we were around 8 inches from the fence.

That said, it does spot kerbs and edges very well which is great for ensuring I don't kerb the alloys, or drive on my grass at the side of my drive (can I get it installed on my dad's Kia as he seems to drive on my grass every time he parks in our drive? 😆)

I'm hoping it improves over time. Better than nothing, but needs work.

Reactions: H43lio and Durzel
Also at home we pulled up to a fence and it said 24 inches and we were around 8 inches from the fence.
The model 3 with USS I have mostly say 32 inches when I reverse park when it is roughly around 12 inches. I’ve never found that difficult to guess after the initial couple of attempts. If accurate sensors is the must in you car needs you may have to start with that in the top of the list when you are narrowing down your car options.

Last edited:
Don’t say it works the mob here will throw bricks because they want this to fail :)
I dont think its a case of it working or not. Under certain circumstances Vision park assist seems to work really well, and in others it does not work at all. All engineering solutions have pros and cons, including USS. But at the moment it seems for Vision Park Assist is that there are more cons at the moment.
So its not for me and I have cancelled my '23 Model Y delivery.