Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] V11 UI Changes and Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure what to make of the new UI. When I swipe up on the temperature controls nothing happens… aren’t I supposed to see a small card with simplified controls? Also, and this is a BIGGIE for me… the trip card showing average energy usage. That was always displayed whilst driving. In fact, it used to bug me that every time I pressed the windscreen washer, the trip card would disappear so I’d have to flick it back. Now it’s gone for good?! Why? Every single YouTube tesla owner I’ve seen has this permanently displayed so why on earth would it be removed? Who at Tesla thought it was needed?

Also, heated seats are more of a faff now buried where previously I could just tap when adjusting. I tried to do a voice command to get around it but the car thought I wanted ALL heated seats on. So then I had to mess about turning all of them off except for mine.

For me, the negatives outweigh the positives in this much-anticipated update.

And Elon has got a cool 600 billion dollar company to back him up!
Perhaps Musk could spend some of his cool 600 billion dollars giving us windscreen wipers and auto headlights that actually work rather than the complete crap we have to put up with. If he can’t even get the basics right then you can understand my scepticism that he will ever solve FSD. I’d rather have a car that functioned properly than a badly thought out UI update.

Not sure what to make of the new UI. When I swipe up on the temperature controls nothing happens… aren’t I supposed to see a small card with simplified controls? Also, and this is a BIGGIE for me… the trip card showing average energy usage. That was always displayed whilst driving. In fact, it used to bug me that every time I pressed the windscreen washer, the trip card would disappear so I’d have to flick it back. Now it’s gone for good?! Why? Every single YouTube tesla owner I’ve seen has this permanently displayed so why on earth would it be removed? Who at Tesla thought it was needed?

Also, heated seats are more of a faff now buried where previously I could just tap when adjusting. I tried to do a voice command to get around it but the car thought I wanted ALL heated seats on. So then I had to mess about turning all of them off except for mine.

For me, the negatives outweigh the positives in this much-anticipated update.
Tap the arrow either side of the temp readout, that brings up the small sub menu with heated seats and quick controls.

It does of course change the temp by 0.5deg though, so you may want to tap it back again after changing the heated seat setting.

Tap the arrow either side of the temp readout, that brings up the small sub menu with heated seats and quick controls.

It does of course change the temp by 0.5deg though, so you may want to tap it back again after changing the heated seat setting.
Just tapping the temp number brings up the controls, no need to adjust the temp just to bring it up.

Perhaps Musk could spend some of his cool 600 billion dollars giving us windscreen wipers and auto headlights that actually work rather than the complete crap we have to put up with. If he can’t even get the basics right then you can understand my scepticism that he will ever solve FSD. I’d rather have a car that functioned properly than a badly thought out UI update.
I think you have a choice to make…We all know what we will do if we are unhappy with something other than venting out!

Just tapping the temp number brings up the controls, no need to adjust the temp just to bring it up.
This is not the small thin bar that was shown on the ‘tour’ - similar to the windscreen wiper card after pressing. This is a huge half-screen set of controls that pops up when pressing the temperature. I used to press and slide to adjust temperature as this was safer and didn’t require me to look away from the road so much. I find this method has become clunkier and more severe. I only wanted to reduce it a couple of degrees yesterday and it went all the way down to LO. So then it’s a ballache to rectify as it then turns AC on which I then have to turn off and put my desired temperature back. Voice controls don’t work because if I say turn air conditioning off it turns the whole thing off, including the fans.

I think you have a choice to make…We all know what we will do if we are unhappy with something other than venting out!
I think a lot of it is sheer incredulity on how someone could make such bad decisions when designing this new interface. Fair enough, change the UI, and we were all anticipating it - some more than Christmas itself! - but to introduce changes that make the driving experience WORSE is just not on. How can anyone defend it?

I think the problem is, you can't make 100% happy 100% of the time, everyone's driving style is different, everyone will have their own control preferences. What is good for me will be awful for someone else.
In relation to cabin temperature , I never mess with the touch screen, I have it set at 19, if I want to change it I just press right scroll wheel "set temperature to 21 degrees" it's done. I don't need to faff with the screen.

"Designing" - and I use the quotes deliberately - the UI to be available and safe when the car is driving itself without supervision is plain stupid.
I think people are entitled to have their own views however stupid those views are, I am sorry we are talking about the richest man on this planet (for argument sake, let us disregard all the other human qualities and count just by ‘fame’). You don’t get to that stage without sidestepping few mines and most people know whom they would vouch for even if their idea is stupid!
I've been a great fan of Musk for well over a decade, have his biography and so on, bought a Model S a couple of years ago but I think Tesla would be better off "letting him go" if he continues to steer the company towards being a teenager's wet dream with flashing lights, farts and a UI that is more suited to a playstation.
I am not a fan of Elon to begin with, if you were over a decade I am sure you have done well.
It's a bloody CAR for Pete's sake - you know, the sort of thing that most people buy to travel from A to B.
We all know what car people buy if the primary purpose is to travel from A to B, Tesla is more than a car, for that matter any car with a soul is more than a car - an Alfa, a Ferrari, a Beemer old M3 or for that matter any car that has a soul and people buy using their hearts.

A few buttons and switches are hard to find isn’t going to stop the majority from buying Tesla. Porsche still sell truckloads of 911 after ditching some of the real Porsche experience customers loved including the naturally aspirated engine!
Tesla have the best battery management systems and logo but the user experience of owning the most expensive purchase other than a house for most people is anything but the best.

Last edited:
Thing is, you don't. You just know where it is.

You've never ever come upon something slower than expected on a motorway and wanted to know what was behind before you pull out? For me rear view is always first before side mirror, lifesaver.
Screens just dont work for this. Acceleration isnt an answer to everything, even warp speed.
Regarding acceleration being the answer - I added two smilies indicating that I was joking. However, my point about visibility out of the rear window being poor still stands, even when window is clear.

I also have a 2002 Porsche Boxster which I have owned since 2005 and driven over 160,000 miles in, and although I know roughly where the heated rear window button is, I still have to look to operate it. Same with adjusting the heater,

Reactions: Doudeau
I think a lot of it is sheer incredulity on how someone could make such bad decisions when designing this new interface. Fair enough, change the UI, and we were all anticipating it - some more than Christmas itself! - but to introduce changes that make the driving experience WORSE is just not on. How can anyone defend it?
There are plenty of people who will tolerate no criticism of Musk or Tesla, however much that criticism is deserved. Plenty of people who are happy to defend the indefensible.

Rear visibility is crap even when the glass is clear. It really needs a rear wiper.
I am sure these compromises most of the car manufacturers do, I think the Audi A8 coupe doesn’t come with rear wipers. Their justification is the look of the car - form over function! Rear cameras and other things help in making it slightly better. Tesla may go for the futuristic retractable wipers - if at all it becomes a reality!

Anyone know where the new V11 software PDF manual is? I can only find the on-line version on my account.

Tesla have confirmed there are no more PDF manuals, just the on-line one now. See reply below:

Hi John,
Thanks for reaching out. You can access the Owner’s Manual here: Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla , on the mobile app, or on your vehicle’s touchscreen. We are moving away from the previous PDF style in favor of the improved, HTML manuals.

Happy Holidays!