Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] V11 UI Changes and Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately voice commands only work when you are in a good LTE reception area. This wouldn't work in the areas I need to use it ... and I can't see whether the voice is likely to work because the LTE status is now concealed from view without interacting with the screen. I think I'll just need to stick with pressing the horn ...
I didn't realise voice commands need a good mobile signal but I guess it explains the delay sometimes Does anyone know the pathway a voice command takes ? Thanks

Hmm,

think I'm staying off the update for now. My better half is a traditionalist - so changing the UI so much will freak her out.

Apart from that not having seat heat available on the lower menu is a certain "I'll get a lot of things added to my honey-do list" if I update.

I didn't realise voice commands need a good mobile signal but I guess it explains the delay sometimes Does anyone know the pathway a voice command takes ? Thanks
I gave up trying to work out the exact path and process! On my MS (I assume all cars have similar operation). It seems to me that there are multiple stages. Capture voice command. Send to 'mothership' or 3rd party service provider, returns text version of sound clip to car, car then tries to match command to supported / known commands held locally, and if that all works, the command is actioned.

Reactions: skateboarder
Nothing good in this update for me, just that more things need more clicks and other useful things (driver profiles, heated seat status) no longer visible. And why is everything so small to press? Thought the blind spot indicator may be useful, not tried it on dual carriageway but it's a distraction on normal roads and mostly blinded by the indicator anyway.

I gave up trying to work out the exact path and process! On my MS (I assume all cars have similar operation). It seems to me that there are multiple stages. Capture voice command. Send to 'mothership' or 3rd party service provider, returns text version of sound clip to car, car then tries to match command to supported / known commands held locally, and if that all works, the command is actioned.
Shame that a basic command like " Turn fog lights on" can't be activated directly by the CPU . I can understand it handing off anything it can't understand to the mother ship as a back up

Shame that a basic command like " Turn fog lights on" can't be activated directly by the CPU . I can understand it handing off anything it can't understand to the mother ship as a back up
Yes, it's my understanding that it should be technically possible to to have a set of basic commands that can be understood and actioned locally without reference to cloud based processing. Computers with far less power could do this years ago, before even proper dictation software came along.

3) When I press and hold the "Car" button for 5 seconds, the following message appears "Thank you for your feedback". What does pressing the Carb button do? What feedback did I send to Tesla?
It sends a log for bug reports back to Tesla. Though it's only ever accessed if you follow up with a service request.

That function has been there for a while now.

Reactions: SergeyP
Real world review from my wife, who like the majority of drivers doesn’t give a fig about light shows, hidden Easter Eggs or even blind spot cameras…

“Where is everything, I can’t find my profile to change the seat or turn on the heated rear window, or find the music, and the text is too small to read. It’s Cr@p!” She quite rightly just wants to get in a car and drive it with the ability to use basic functions without thinking too hard.

On that basis, the update is a massive fail.
Exactly the same here bar she did think the light show was amazing.... I did tell her I would get rid of the thing and get another car but she wasn't having any of that either... what gives?? 🤣

Having now had chance to use the new interface, I can’t say I’m a fan and hiding away things like front and rear defrost is at best a weird decision and at worst downright dangerous. If the voice operation worked then it would be less of a problem. Also moving the driver profile from the main screen to a submenu makes no sense to me.

It does make cars like the BMW i4 more attractive (well not the i4 with that beaver tooth front end). If we take the i4 as an example of a traditional car manufacture, that has physical buttons for things like lights, windscreen wiper settings and window defroster/s, so will always be in the same place. Oddly though they’ve moved the climate controls from physical buttons in the normal 4 series to screen based controls on the i4. I assume they’ve done the same with the seat heating too as they were on the same bar as the climate controls in the 4 series that doesn’t exist in the i4. The polestar 2 is similar with physical buttons for lights and demisters while climate controls and seat heating are in bar at the bottom of the screen, just like Tesla had up until v11.

I’ve also had chance to read through some of the Twitter comments in reply to Tesla posting details of v11 on Christmas Eve and the vast majority are negative and cover the same points as this thread. Hopefully this will encourage Tesla to look at how they could improve v11 to address some of the issues. It really does feel like Tesla’s Windows 8 moment in that they’ve designed something that the vast majority of users won’t have (Windows 8 was touch screens and v11 feels designed for FSD with emphasis on games and entertainment).

Reactions: Wol747
…What they need to do is process the image and to see if its safe and warn you with a flashing light or some other binary signal (warning or no warning). This is what other systems do, often a flashing light in the wing mirror. easy to see, especially with peripheral vision. Let's not kid ourselves that this is a real, day to day, blindspot system thats useful except in a few niche situations.
I remember those times when people panned the iPhone and android for putting the torch light as a software switch with two presses when Nokia had a button to press the torch light on! And we had the same people talking about how user unfriendly those new phones were. I am sure now this group will say a phone is different to a car etc.,

If I am so unhappy with the blind spot system I know what I’ll do. More than that If I am so unhappy with the car again I know what I’ll do.

The last year marketing budget for BMW is around 2 billion dollars, Tesla - 0

That itself tells the story. It doesn’t matter whether you had Tesla for 6 years or few months but why you bought a Tesla in the first place?. Just like ICE cars there are cars we buy using our ‘heads’ and cars we buy using our ‘hearts’. No one is forcing others to agree that their views are correct, unfortunately the V11 update debate is becoming something like that in this forum.

Neither Elon nor Tesla is perfect but atleast they hear customer views and incorporate what they could without that affecting their future vision. I don’t think the majority of Tesla customers are feeling the way some of the forum members had described here or in other forums but it is a fair point there are going to be ‘unhappy’ customers with the new update.

It is not a ‘Windows 8 moment’ as someone mentioned, it is more like an ‘iPad moment’ - you remove the keyboard and use software to do some limited actions but then reinvent a key board/pen and provide a different purpose to the whole segment/product. FSD is the new product whether you like it or not. Some things need to change for people to adapt to FSD and that is what you are seeing now.

It may not get the legal approval in many countries but will definitely clear the legal hurdles in California - most states will soon follow and after few years people across the pond will question why Elon isn’t getting it to british shores. This had happened in the past! Sorry folks you guys can decide whether you want to buy the ‘tin pot’ or not but Elon is not going to stop doing what he does. I am not saying he is right or this update is great, I am just saying a disruptive business model has to do this so that they can stay ahead of traditional car manufacturers. And Elon has got a cool 600 billion dollar company to back him up!

Last edited:
....... Tesla persist in doing it, they will be crushed by the Germans, because the Germans don't do it as they know that mass market doesn't want it. Some of the comments above, quoting family members' reactions to the new UI, bear this out. i.e., I can't find all my controls! Get rid go this tin can and buy me an i4!

As for self driving - not a chance on the rural B roads and back roads round here in Wiltshire.

The Germans are only scratching the surface of EVs, but are determined to make progress, as this article quoting VW's CEO, Herbert Diess makes clear.

But it was written in March 2021 his predictions don't seem to have come true and Tesla continues to forge ahead.

It is very clear that VAG and BMW are trying hard, as are the Koreans; Mercedes are also rans using modified ICE bodies. BUT even though BMW has a couple of cars that are good to drive they don't have the range and are significantly more expensive: the MiniE makes this very clear.
The best competitor for the Model 3 P is probably the BMW i4-M50, but configured to match what comes with the M3P it costs £68,775 and has a WTLP range of 314 miles, so probably 225-240 in the real world. The M3P costs £55.590 has a WTLP range of 340 miles, so 289 to 290 in the real world.

Yes, it has leather seats and the wonderful BMW iController as well as a touch screen. It also has a hideous BMW Kidney grill and it isn't actually available to order because of supply issues in the electronics. It also requires normal BMW annual servicing, so £500 a year.

IS the BMW worth £13,000 more?

Not in my opinion.

Oh, Self Driving on Wiltshire roads? Not a chance. ... Hell will freeze over first.

Reactions: spdpsba