Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki [UK] V11 UI Changes and Features

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a lot of it is sheer incredulity on how someone could make such bad decisions when designing this new interface. Fair enough, change the UI, and we were all anticipating it - some more than Christmas itself! - but to introduce changes that make the driving experience WORSE is just not on. How can anyone defend it?
If you just cast your eyes on TMC vote 56% are either happy or not complaining about the new update. It is a biased data as people who use this site are more involved than any normal Tesla users. Still you see only 17% are complaining in a biased sample.

So new UI making driving experience worse is a subjective feeling and shared by a minority who uses this website. There are lots of people who think the new UI is a progress even in this website by looking at the numbers.

What Tesla will do if they get a feedback saying give or take 10% of people weren’t happy with the new UI and 60-70% are happy or not complaining?

Tuesday AM Salisbury - LHR T5 - Return: teeming rain, surface water, low sun, everything.

The wipers worked perfectly, up until the car processor gave up again, removing cruise control and wiper control and everything the front cameras support. Sitting at the £5.00 drop off point I did a quick(ish) reset and everything returned. Only 2 weeks now before they change the computer......!!

Observations:
Negative:
The side camera images are in the wrong place, they need to be in the centre of the screen. But nevertheless helpful!
Changing between Spotify and TuneIn and DAB is now a right pain.
Positive:
Using the seat heaters on Automatic works VERY well, they are linked to the aircon/heater so using voice to say "I'm cold" resulted in the seats going to max for a few mins and the cabin temp going up 1.5C. Neat.
The wipers respond well to changes in rain, as well as any other car.
Audio Quality (Premium Spec) has improved, especially the low to middle bass.

56% is hardly a ringing endorsement. 25% prefer the old UI and another 18% “hate” the new interface. I’d describe that as being close to a PR disaster.

56% may not be perceived as a ringing endorsement but it is a majority.

I expect however there are none within that majority who think v11 is the Perfect UI.

I'm reminded a little of when Microsoft introduced the Ribbon in Office 2007 and we had to go looking elsewhere for everything we used. I'm doubtful there are many who would now like to go back to the pre MS Office 2007 way of doing things. I'm also doubtful that the next UX overhaul of MS Office (coming soon I believe!) will be univerally positively received, especially in polls taken 4 days after release within Microsoft forums!

I expect however there are none within that majority who think v11 is the Perfect UI.

I'm reminded a little of when Microsoft introduced the Ribbon in Office 2007 and we had to go looking elsewhere for everything we used. I'm doubtful there are many who would now like to go back to the pre MS Office 2007 way of doing things. I'm also doubtful that the next UX overhaul of MS Office (coming soon I believe!) will be univerally positively received, especially in polls taken 4 days after release within Microsoft forums!
MS Office is a great example. I’d kill to go back to pre-ribbon days. It’s crap :D

• Disagree
Reactions: PR-UK and rotor2k
Early ribbon bar implementation was a complete clusterfuck.. Microsoft have made many changes since. The concept wasn't bad (it is after all just a toolbar with bigger buttons) so it just needed some iteration.

I remember around that time we were looking a sprucing up a UI and a big customer (who pays more per year in licenses than my entire salary) said if we used a ribbon bar he'd cancel.. We did actually found a way of doing it that they were happy with (that's still in use today) mostly by not doing it as badly as microsoft..

I think Tesla could iterate this in the same way but they don't seem to do major releases more than once a year, and that's a long time to wait with a v1/beta product.

The main difference is when using Office it's unlikely to cause an accident while you're distracted trying to find the "centre text" option, whereas there's an outside chance searching for the screen demister or fog lights with the current setup would.

To me it simply comes back to "why aren't driving controls prioritised when driving?". They could simply switch to some other commands when in park if they wanted the toy box to be up front and central when stationary, and as soon as you select drive, display the drivers controls.

It's probably got something to do with the designers all live in an area where they don't have fog lights, the heated seats are not needed very often,. nor is the windscreen demister and when it rains, it rains, and the flacky intermittent mizzle option we struggle with is less of a problem, so to them they're just inconvenient features they have to have an on/off switch somewhere.

Apparently americans never use fog lights, or if they do they leave them on all the time.. hence Tesla never saw them as a priority.
Pretty sure US cars don't have them which is why for years they swapped out one of the reversing light for a fog light on european cars. The designers, even as late as when working on the Model 3, didn't think about other countries or regs. Same goes for the CCS port not being accomodated on the 2021 Model S and only now after launching the car have they decided they might need to redesign the rear lights on a car not 6 months old to make it work in other countries. Adaptive headlights aren't a US thing either so they don't do any meaningful work on them.

Reactions: Wol747
Everyone saying that the forum poll suggests the majority think the new UI is good.

Not really.

I voted for “some good, some bad, but overall ok”

That doesn’t mean I choose the new UI as being “better than the old”?!

It means there are some improvements, but also some changes that are worse.

Point is, they have to put some clangers in V11, that way they have the whole of 2022 and beyond, to send us all software updates to improve it (read “fix the issues”).

Imagine if V11 was perfect, then there would be no software updates, and everyone would be upset that their car isn’t getting “better”.

Reactions: Fury1
Everyone saying that the forum poll suggests the majority think the new UI is good.

Not really.

Point is, they have to put some clangers in V11, that way they have the whole of 2022 and beyond, to send us all software updates to improve it (read “fix the issues”).

Imagine if V11 was perfect, then there would be no software updates, and everyone would be upset that their car isn’t getting “better”.
I am sure there will be updates in 2022 but the overall form factor isn’t going to change. It is automation’ they are looking at for FSD. So if you are hoping for a monochrome screen display or a choice to use the previous version or more flexibility to use other icons in the dock - that’s not going to happen.

I've just been for a nice long drive and the rear window heater is a bit of a PITA (and the voice command 'rear window heater on' is recognised but replies 'setting front seat heaters to 3' - and it doesn't do that either.. maybe it's intended to work but broken). It started raining and heat is a decent workaround until Tesla produce a car with rear wipers.. but you need to be able to get at it whilst driving.

On the plus side it turned itself off when it reached temperature, which is half the job done (I've already had a rear window replaced due to the heater cracking it so I'm a bit paranoid about leaving it on too long).

When you navigate to somewhere the car no longer tells you a projected battery %age at the end, only distance and time. So I'm guessing whether to add a charger stop.. that could get quite critical if the projected % is quite low - I don't like to arrive anywhere with under about 15%.

AP braking is improved. In previous releases if it came up to stopped traffic I've been hovering over the brake wondering whether it was really just about to crash into the car in front of it, then it'd brake really late. This was a lot sooner and smoother. Still not human level, but not panic inducing either..

On the subject of voice it somehow seems to be recognising my cheshire accent for the first time ever (even if as above it didn't know what to do anyway).
I were looking for the projected battery level at arrival too. That is critical for me too as I often have long drives. This a real disappointment. I have been looking for another way to get it with calculating it myself, but no luck yet.

I am sure there will be updates in 2022 but the overall form factor isn’t going to change. It is automation’ they are looking at for FSD. So if you are hoping for a monochrome screen display or a choice to use the previous version or more flexibility to use other icons in the dock - that’s not going to happen.
I can only you've got some kind of hotline to the dev team to be so sure of this.

As I said in my early assessment summary of the release, there's the kernel of a decent update in here. I would have thought that expanding the dock options would be one of the first things offered. What makes you so certain that it's going to be a fixed list?

Not really.

Not sure that is what everyone is saying.

I read the poll results as saying that on ballance, v11 is a step in the right direction.

This is on an assumption that anyone who thinks that v11 is a backwards step would have voted for one of the other two negative options.

Clearly I don't know what other people are thinking so I recognise that could be a false assumption for some who voted.

.... Perhaps there should have been a 'completely neutral' option to cover those who feel that the v11 positives and negatives cancel each other out precisely?