Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking 75Ds in the UK

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So no one from the UK qualifies?

2 potential reasons:
1. either UK owners are being denied upgrade because Tesla USA don't like us and we smell
or
2. they made our cars badly compared to the USA's cars

And we are OK with this?

Or 3. It’s Tesla time and taking a while for systems to update.

If it’s a component that’s not up to standard in my car, that others cars of the same spec, cost and VIN range then, no I’m not happy and have made my SC well aware of that today. The only comfort at the moment is that no UK car seems eligible which means at least we are on a level playing field. I’d be even less happy if I was in the States and my neighbour with the next VIN has the upgrade.

Well we are a pretty small sample at the moment, need more data points... personally I bought a 5.2 sec car.... yes I would be delighted if it could do more... but its still the car I bought. My money is still on "internal communication issues" ;)

Quite a few on the Facebook forum as well. Agreed, bought a 5.2 sec car and love it. Would love a 4.2 car especially if others have them, that’s a 20% difference in power. Probably about the same as the loss in value on my car against one that has been uncorked

Just had an email from Tesla corporate (escalated a moan via "My Tesla") stating that I did not qualify for this upgrade.

However the wording was exactly the same as the wording that came from my local SC in Gatwick...EXACTLY, as if SC copied:pasted what corporate had told them to tell me.

Bad news: confirms that this is not a UK misinformed issue.

I fear as with world war II, we are just out in the cold of this one.

Time to run my now valueless car into the ground... Hello James Dyson.

I dunno, I take a different view... if ALL UK cars are the same... UK just has 5.2 75D's... level playing field... besides, personally I let Tesla take the risk by using one of their PCP's... I'll be... whats the word... "irritated"... if it proves to be some not all... I still think there is much to be revealed with a little time and patience... to quote DJP31... "It's Tesla time" ;)

I dunno, I take a different view... if ALL UK cars are the same... UK just has 5.2 75D's... level playing field... besides, personally I let Tesla take the risk by using one of their PCP's... I'll be... whats the word... "irritated"... if it proves to be some not all... I still think there is much to be revealed with a little time and patience... to quote DJP31... "It's Tesla time" ;)

I’m with you, up until the ‘irritated’ bit. I will be very unhappy if a retrospective change doesn’t include me, and have made that point very clear to my SC. Hardware changes since I bought, not a problem, that’s a risk you take.

I’d go as far as involving Tesla Finance as the providers of my PCP. Their asset value has been materially disadvantaged by this action. That’d be interesting, Tesla v Tesla

Still, let’s wait and see what the next few days bring.....

I’m with you, up until the ‘irritated’ bit. I will be very unhappy if a retrospective change doesn’t include me, and have made that point very clear to my SC. Hardware changes since I bought, not a problem, that’s a risk you take.

One possible situation is that they made the component change on date X, then made the software change on date Y some time later. In the USA, there will have been lots of cars shipped between dates X and Y who are now candidates for retrospective update.

Due to the shipping delay, the number of cars delivered in Europe before date Y but which were manufactured after date X will be much smaller, possibly none - assuming they all get latest software at Tilburg after reassembly.

One possible situation is that they made the component change on date X, then made the software change on date Y some time later. In the USA, there will have been lots of cars shipped between dates X and Y who are now candidates for retrospective update.

Due to the shipping delay, the number of cars delivered in Europe before date Y but which were manufactured after date X will be much smaller, possibly none - assuming they all get latest software at Tilburg after reassembly.

The date range is wide though, according to the spreadsheet May 16 is the earliest reported to be uncorked, VIN 139XXX. There are also cars in the US within the same VIN range that have been given different answers to the uncorking request. It’s all very odd.

i think it is more plausible that in the Tilburg assembly line they used older hardware parts that make EU cars not eligible.

We don’t know whether the manufacturing was at Fremont or Tilburg, I thought Tilburg just put them back together again. This does sound a possibility though, but then again the Tesla announcement was worldwide, not restricted to one market.

Maybe the Corks travel in bulk-batches,and then the rest of the Car is what travels in the main shipment.

So the Cork that is put in is "from stock", rather than "put back in again to stop it going off" so-to-speak.

So all-ish of the EU ones are old-cork.

I'm guessing of course ...

It's as good a guess as anyone else has come up with :confused:

Tesla build the car, they then take it apart again to ship. It’s only drop the battery, take out the motors, both pretty quick in the overall scheme of things. They do this to reduce import duties as the cars final assembly is then in the EU

Tesla build the car, they then take it apart again to ship. It’s only drop the battery, take out the motors, both pretty quick in the overall scheme of things. They do this to reduce import duties as the cars final assembly is then in the EU

That’s what I thought too. So if it is a component that’s not up to the higher demands on after the performance upgrade it it won’t have been installed at Tilburg. Trying to get a handle,on why no UK Cars are getting the thumbs up.

That’s what I thought too. So if it is a component that’s not up to the higher demands on after the performance upgrade it it won’t have been installed at Tilburg. Trying to get a handle,on why no UK Cars are getting the thumbs up.

it’s not only UK , it’s also Belgium and Netherlands, probably even the whole EU

time for some tweets to Elon

Well I just typed out a three paragraph revelation, but the site kicked me out. I’ll elaborate further when I get to my desktop as I’m on my cell phone now, but basically I was told that it’s highly probable that you’ll be uncorked if you have the GEN III onboard charger on your 60D or 75D as they have a rapid splitter type cable system. The older onboard charger also known as dual charger had a straight cable with a fuse on it that cannot handle the increased discharge.

You basically know if you have the GEN III onboard charger if it was offered as an upgrade from 40 amp maximum charging to 72 amp maximum charging at either time of purchase or post purchase via OTA update.

Pardon the thrown together typing. Blame Siri if it sucks. I was too aggravated after the site trashed my initial post.

This looks interesting. @JonG any thoughts?