Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Uncorking official for most 75Ds!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Quick question on uncorking.

I placed an order for a facelift 75D which is advertised as the usual 4.2s 0-60. This would mean it's uncorked but knowing how they operate and mistakes can slip in easily, is there an easy way for me to check and confirm it's indeed uncorked at/before delivery? Any other way apart from driving it and trying to measure a launch?

My 75d I ordered earlier this year was delivered uncorked (despite the 4.2s 0-60 time advertised). A Tesla ranger came and uncorked it a week or so later for me, but I would ask the service center you are getting the car delivered to if they can double check and uncork if required to save potentially having to do that later.

Shame to hear they removed the perf config variable... that was how I checked if mine was uncorked.

Hey everyone! New here

I just purchased a used 2017 Model S 75D and do not believe it is uncorked. I'm taking delivery tomorrow, and when asked about whether the service center will uncork it, I was told they do not do it anymore.

Does anyone know of any service centers that are performing this in 2020? I really purchased with the hopes that this is something I could have.

Thanks,

Charles

Hey everyone! New here

I just purchased a used 2017 Model S 75D and do not believe it is uncorked. I'm taking delivery tomorrow, and when asked about whether the service center will uncork it, I was told they do not do it anymore.

Does anyone know of any service centers that are performing this in 2020? I really purchased with the hopes that this is something I could have.

Thanks,

Charles
If all the correct hardware is there it should have already been uncorked......have you tried any 0 to 60 runs to see where your time sits

I will check today when I take delivery! The only reason I suspect it's not is because the 0-60 time on the site was 5.2 and I saw 1 or 2 other 2017 75D's with 4.2.
Maybe it is an early month of manufacture in 17 not eligible for uncork? Haven't heard SC refusing if car is eligible. Also AP hardware changed 2.5 bs 2.0 around 8/17. You could refuse delivery but would be a bummer. Good luck and welcome.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
I asked my sc i was told mine was done already.

Take the information service center employees tell you with a grain of salt. They are known for providing incorrect information :)

On a serious note, if you don't like an answer you get from a SC, do try to visit another one. You can get very different information from other SCs. Employee knowledge base varies a lot sadly.

Hello all,

Bumpy experience so far on getting this update for my 2016 S75D. I tested my 0-60 twice on a flat straightaway, recording the speedometer and then measuring the time it took: 5 seconds or slightly more both times. So, I requested uncorking in the Tesla app about two weeks ago, and Tesla scheduled a ranger to come to my home tomorrow. This afternoon, however, the SC contacted me to say this:

"Looking at your vehicles config, the pack you have is not capable of being uncorked. Some of the more current ones do have a pack that is software upgrade-able and the newer models come delivered with the 4.2 0-60 time. I was hoping to help with the upgrade, but am unable."

So, I pointed out to him that this vehicle (VIN 168XXX, built 11/16) was SOLD as doing 0-60 in 4.2, and I told him I had a shot of the screen specifying that; he asked me to send it to him, which I did (it's a screenshot of the advertisement for the vehicle on Tesla's used car site, with the VIN and the 4.2 0-60 clearly visible). He then said:

"Thanks for that, I will need a little time to figure this out. I have to ask, were you at a track testing (it's no problem if you do/did) or were you using a time box or anything. What I'm asking basically is, what is your 0-60 time and how did you measure it? I will look further into this, we do make changes to options often, so factoring that in. Thanks for your time and understanding"

I explained the method, and he said he would be in touch with me tomorrow. I asked, "no appointment?" He then said:

"Not currently. Right now their is nothing we need the vehicle on site for. Usually these changes are handled over-the-air. I have done these upgrades in the past and a physical connection to the car is never needed. If this changes, I will make sure we either get you into the service center or have a mobile tech come out. I don't believe either will be necessary. The request is still active and we have viability. I just freed up a spot in our system for another appointment. I can shuffle things around if we do need a service visit."

So, having read a couple hundred of these posts in this thread, I'm thinking maybe he doesn't know everything about doing these? Thoughts?

Todd

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D
So, having read a couple hundred of these posts in this thread, I'm thinking maybe he doesn't know everything about doing these? Thoughts?

Todd

There have been several posts here recently suggesting that they've been uncorked entirely OTA. It's true back when the upgrade was first announced, you had to go in and have it done in person.

Long and short of it is, if your VIN isn't on the list, your battery pack needs an updated pyrofuse to be uncorkable. This requires dropping the pack to replace, so Tesla's response to people asking has generally been "no".

However, at least one person in your situation (bought used car advertised as 4.2 0-60) fought and after some threats convinced them to do the right thing and make the necessary hardware changes to uncork it.

This thread is what you should be reading if you haven't already found it:
2016 75D - CPO with a major heart-wrenching issue

Thanks much for that pointer! Ironic that that thread’s OP is in my general neighborhood here in Maryland. I’ve DM’d him to see if there are any specific contacts at the SCs here he’d recommend.

There have been several posts here recently suggesting that they've been uncorked entirely OTA. It's true back when the upgrade was first announced, you had to go in and have it done in person.

Long and short of it is, if your VIN isn't on the list, your battery pack needs an updated pyrofuse to be uncorkable. This requires dropping the pack to replace, so Tesla's response to people asking has generally been "no".

However, at least one person in your situation (bought used car advertised as 4.2 0-60) fought and after some threats convinced them to do the right thing and make the necessary hardware changes to uncork it.

This thread is what you should be reading if you haven't already found it:
2016 75D - CPO with a major heart-wrenching issue

I think all 17s should be uncorkable. My end of 2016 car could be uncorked.

Maybe it is an early month of manufacture in 17 not eligible for uncork? Haven't heard SC refusing if car is eligible. Also AP hardware changed 2.5 bs 2.0 around 8/17. You could refuse delivery but would be a bummer. Good luck and welcome.

While my car was in the shop, I was lucky enough to get an 85D as a loaner, so I got to experience what that ~4 0-60 felt like and it was amazing!

I got my car back today and can immediately tell the difference. My car was manufactured in Feb 2017 with a vin of 180~

On this (Tesla Uncorking 75D Tracker) sheet, cars around my vin number are uncorkable.

If this can truly be done OTA, can I contact any service center to have this done?