Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Updated - Interior Lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You have to balance that with the fact that Tesla is a young company and that they have offered potential customers unprecedented access to the design process. This means you get to see the car in all its glory and with all its flaws during this process. I don't think BMW opened up their design process on the new M5 and had their fans and owners criticizing each step. I'm not saying the complaints are not valid or that Tesla doesn't sometimes tell one person something and another person something else. It seems to me it's more of a factor of a young company that does things in a non-traditional way. Any other car company would present you the finished product and all communication would be through their press office (that's my understanding at least). You wouldn't see them add a feature and talk about it only to discover that a supplier couldn't come though and them then having to pull it...etc

While they should know answers to some of those basic questions, it seems things are still very fluid and if they haven't been nailed down then there is no way for them to know.

Most other companies don't ask for a $40k downpayment (Sig) or 5k downpayment (Prod) based on speculative specifications. It would be nice to be a little better informed a couple of months out from delivery (assuming no further delays) and whether or not certain features will be available as fixes or updates. For example, I keep asking about voice control and I keep drawing a blank. It's not a deal breaker, but when you're spending so much up front and have been waiting nearly three years, it would be nice to get some mildly firm guidance on some of these things....

Most other companies don't ask for a $40k downpayment (Sig) or 5k downpayment (Prod) based on speculative specifications. It would be nice to be a little better informed a couple of months out from delivery (assuming no further delays) and whether or not certain features will be available as fixes or updates. For example, I keep asking about voice control and I keep drawing a blank. It's not a deal breaker, but when you're spending so much up front and have been waiting nearly three years, it would be nice to get some mildly firm guidance on some of these things....

I agree they don't always handle things perfectly but I'm not sure any company does. Tesla is also in the unusual position of needing capital upfront to build the Model S more than an established company like BMW would. Hopefully things settle down now that the car is basically in production.

I think a lot of the confusion is due to the fact that the car isn't as ready as Tesla's letting on. Lots of the little design decisions (and some slightly larger ones) still being made and hashed out. The deliveries in June were clearly cars that really weren't production ready. Not sure if those are the ones you would refer to as "Release Candidates", but Tesla's clearly not where they'd like to be at this stage in the game.

Don't some of you guys think you are be unduly harsh? Making cars is hard, and starting a new auto company from scratch is even harder. It is much easier to whine about a few lightbulbs than to accomplish great things. Tesla is on the verge of great accomplishments.

It is way more important to get quality up to their very proper standards and get production ramped up. Both are important for establishing Tesla as a company, and also for the availability of great EVs to the public.

They can more lighting and luxury do-dads in version 2.0.

GSP

Well said..... +1

I started this thread in attempts to quell rumors about the LED light changes on the Specs web page which had been appearing in other posts by getting definitive answers from a reliable, knowledgeable rep via email. We all know the store reps and the test drive reps are not fully informed. However, it has been my experience that the direct reps at Tesla usually can get to the bottom of questions when answers are known. I cut and pasted the direct reply that I received about the LED light changes. I can assure you it was posted exactly as it was emailed to me. I am sure my rep passed along exactly what he was told. That being said it certainly makes sense for others to check directly with their reps at Tesla to confirm whether what my rep was told is correct. This thread was started in an attempt to stop rumors about the LED light changes on the Specs sheet, not to perpetuate them. I had no idea this was such an emotionally charged issue and was simply trying to pass along helpful information. Personally, I see these changes as logical trade offs to problems with rear seat head room and front visibility for tall drivers and did not expect the kind of responses the thread has generated. I can only attest to the fact that the the response I posted was verbatim. I encourage others to double check directly with their Tesla reps. We can hope that the information my rep was told was misinformed.

2nd. Most of the time, 10 minutes into a test drive I find out that I know more about the vehicle than the salesman does. Yes, it's frustrating but I've come to expect it. I do think, however, that Tesla should aim for better (and I think that they are even if they're not there yet).
That's to be expected. Knowing more than a Tesla rep is fine. Reps should answer "I don't know" when they don't know; they shouldn't offer incorrect information. That is the larger concern.

ddruz, unless I'm mistaken I don't think anyone has a problem with the fact that you made the post. Sharing information you receive is fine. The responses, however, have to keep in mind that even though you passed information verbatim, we've received misleading or incorrect information from Tesla reps in the past.

Having said that though, this is a forum so it's all fair game.

I started this thread in attempts to quell rumors about the LED light changes on the Specs web page which had been appearing in other posts by getting definitive answers from a reliable, knowledgeable rep via email. We all know the store reps and the test drive reps are not fully informed. However, it has been my experience that the direct reps at Tesla usually can get to the bottom of questions when answers are known. I cut and pasted the direct reply that I received about the LED light changes. I can assure you it was posted exactly as it was emailed to me. I am sure my rep passed along exactly what he was told. That being said it certainly makes sense for others to check directly with their reps at Tesla to confirm whether what my rep was told is correct. This thread was started in an attempt to stop rumors about the LED light changes on the Specs sheet, not to perpetuate them. I had no idea this was such an emotionally charged issue and was simply trying to pass along helpful information. Personally, I see these changes as logical trade offs to problems with rear seat head room and front visibility for tall drivers and did not expect the kind of responses the thread has generated. I can only attest to the fact that the the response I posted was verbatim. I encourage others to double check directly with their Tesla reps. We can hope that the information my rep was told was misinformed.

Two things:
  1. I was treating this as speculation until you posted the email response you got. At that point, it became more than a rumor, it became information that somebody was given in writing by somebody at Tesla. And I'm not pleased with the answer, so I posted my opinion here. As far as I'm concerned, since we know that Tesla monitors these boards, that's a reasonable way to provide feedback, which a number of other people have done as well. This is good. It's helpful. I'm happy this thread is here.
  2. I received an email from someone at Tesla about finalizing my order, encouraging me to call or email with questions. I called. They were very friendly and eager to talk, and spent a lot of time on the phone with me, which I appreciated. However, I was unable to get answers to basic questions, like the ones I posted above (How much will a second mobile connector cost? What will be the cost for Supercharger access for 60kWh? Will that Supercharger access require hardware, software, both, neither?) The Tesla person didn't know the answers to those questions, and didn't know when those answers would be available. These are really important questions! If Supercharger access is a few hundred dollars, then fine. If it's a few thousand, that could affect a buying decision because it adds more value to the 85kWh upgrade. If the mobile connector is $200, then it's an attractive option to leave one plugged into the wall in the garage with the cord neatly looped. If it's $800, then why not get the HPWC even if you don't need the high-current charging, since it is certainly more attractive than leaving a cable lying around? Thus my point about the communication problem.

Given even information from Tesla reps seems erratic in it's accuracy, I'll wait until we see some more production cars before panicking. The only light that I think is fairly mandatory is the LED on the flip down mirror in the visor. It gets used pretty frequently by my wife.

A little context would be helpful for me ... what other interior lights are there?
Can't say for certain, but I assume there are still the normal dome light and the front map lights. The lights that are supposedly being removed are not ones that would illuminate when the door is opened. They are just the rear reading lights and the ones that accompany the vanity mirrors in the front visors. Presumably the mirrors will still be there.

This is all based on comments made by the OP on something he was told. So, there's still a chance it isn't true. In any case, my opinion stated early in how I feel if this is true.

A little context would be helpful for me ... what other interior lights are there?

The email confirms what the actual cars #50, 112 and 115 have... right now, the are two lights in the foot wells up front (convenience package), the two map lights by the center mirror, and two small rear cargo lights at the floor level. There is one small light at the forward side of the Frunk too. There are no other lights on the car.

Oops, there was a light overhead on the liftgate, forgot about that one.

Last edited:
Can't say for certain, but I assume there are still the normal dome light and the front map lights. The lights that are supposedly being removed are not ones that would illuminate when the door is opened. They are just the rear reading lights and the ones that accompany the vanity mirrors in the front visors. Presumably the mirrors will still be there.

This is all based on comments made by the OP on something he was told. So, there's still a chance it isn't true. In any case, my opinion stated early in how I feel if this is true.

Those lights in back (the ones ostensibly being removed) definitely came on when the door was opened.

Bad news - no led lighted vanity mirrors in the sunshades

According to the Tesla forum there will not be any LED lighted vanity mirrors in the sunshades nor will there be LED reading lights for the rear passengers to provide some extra headroom:cursing:! I thought Model S was a "Premium" luxury cars. They are taking away features like lighted mirrors in the sunshades which are either available as an option or standard in $20K cars these days. Am I going to be holding a flashlight for my wife to adjust her makeup or whatever. I think this is totally ridiculous.