Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

US Federal $7,500 Electric Vehicle Credit Expiry Date By Automaker

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
now we have Canadians being invited to configure and being told as little as 4 weeks for delivery. sure looks like deferring 200K to Q3 is being attempted.

Electrek

I've always been a skeptic, but I agree it sure looks that way. The got as many cars delivered close to home in Q1 as possible, and switched configuration to Canada as soon as deliveries were going to be in Q2 anyway.

Reactions: SteveG3
While Tesla is working hard to optimize their customers tax credits, others are also working to get the credits extended.

With so many foreign manufacturere just coming into the EV marketplace, would seem uncomfortable for the only USA manufacturer to be shut out, while the others get all the credits. Would put Tesla at a disadvantage for all the Johnny come lately producers.

While Tesla is working hard to optimize their customers tax credits, others are also working to get the credits extended.

With so many foreign manufacturere just coming into the EV marketplace, would seem uncomfortable for the only USA manufacturer to be shut out, while the others get all the credits. Would put Tesla at a disadvantage for all the Johnny come lately producers.

Very much agree. Would be great to see a change to something like first 3 million EVs rather than first 200K EVs (plus phaseout) for each of 15 or so global automakers.

So I get my car Mar 22. Somebody else gets their car in November, and say the credit is down to $3,750.

What determines that i get the $7,500 and he gets the $3,750.

I can't file my 2018 taxes until early next year.

What if he files his 2018 taxes before me?

That's the kicker.... Tesla is delaying US deliveries to stretch the tax credit.... Which won't apply to everyone that do not have enough of a tax burden.... In my case, I'm paying in full and won't need the credit... But wait I must.... Which is disappointing....

That's the kicker.... Tesla is delaying US deliveries to stretch the tax credit.... Which won't apply to everyone that do not have enough of a tax burden.... In my case, I'm paying in full and won't need the credit... But wait I must.... Which is disappointing....
A little off topic but maybe talk to an accountant. Do you have something of an IRA you can roll over into a Roth to create enough tax owed to use the credit?

• Helpful
Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Yes. That is my understanding. The first 200k cars sold have the credit available to them. It doesn’t matter if the purchaser files for the credit, skips filing, or does not have enough tax burden to benefit.

Your wording is a little misleading (to me at least). The 200kth car sold in the U.S. starts the phase out. Cars sold in that quarter and the next quarter are eligible for 100% of the credit, then 2 quarters its 50%, and lastly two quarters of 25% of the credit.

Your wording is a little misleading (to me at least). The 200kth car sold in the U.S. starts the phase out. Cars sold in that quarter and the next quarter are eligible for 100% of the credit, then 2 quarters its 50%, and lastly two quarters of 25% of the credit.

Exactly. Since Tesla appears to be looking to stretch the US $7500 credit out as much as possible they would deliver car # 200,000 on July 1st and then produce as many cars as possible all through the remainder of 2018 so that the maximum number of customers get the maximum tax credit.

It's actually a smart move on their part because it allows the $3750 credit to last until middle of next year unless a new tax law kills it.... meaning those who don't want to spring for a 1st production vehicle but want the more affordable $35,000 car would still get a nice tax credit. More of those buyers probably wouldn't qualify for the full $7500 credit anyways.