Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) auto-wipers seem drastically worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
11.4.7 is tied to the old code and don’t think any wiper improvements are there
With 2023.26.10/11.4.4 a few things about auto wiper update during FSDb:

Auto is much improved
Did not notice any dry wipes
Noticed a 4th hash now added
View attachment 971182
Only problem leff I had which is big, just cleaning the windshield with left stalk push in while on FSDb, I could not get the wipers to stop after they cleaned resulting in dry wipe
Had to cancel FSDb running and restart FSDb
Crazy
26.10 started wiping last Friday while I was three floors underground in my (very dry) office parking garage.

• Funny
Reactions: gsmith123
Got v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) last night and, strangely, auto-wipers were awful in some rainstorms today. Clearly worse than 11.4.4. In moderate to heavy rain they barely wiped and I could could not see well. Obviously, I couldn't safely test this too much without hitting the single wipe button for visibility (or manually setting the speed).

Previously I found auto-wipers were OK. In actual rainy conditions they did a decent job of wiping sufficiently (I think a lot of the complaints people are from excessive wiping when not needed). It was obviously different today. I think at one point I saw a warning on screen that the forward camera was occluded which gives you an indication of how much water was building up.

Odd regression. I wonder if they meant to change something in this release or this is a completely unintended bug?
Same here. They wipe intermittently with no rain and work poorly in rain. I had to turn to auto setting off.

I noticed my FSDb enabled car is not running wipers if I pick low 2 settings. Higher 2 settings trigger FSD might be affacted to bad weather message but runs it. Is it a SW bug that caused this or my HW is broken for first 2 settings? I have beta wipers turned off.

You can't turn them off while on AP/FSDb, but you can set them to any of the other "on" settings.
No need to Disagree my post since my main response was the SAME as yours that can't turn them off to the "...turn them off from the menus..." post. You did correct me that you can change the speed and that is sufficient with out the Disagree. Mine are dry wiping and there is no way to stop it.

Just for info since I haven't tried. Can you put them on slow/intermittent even in a torrential downpour and FSD Beta still stay engaged?

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
Just for info since I haven't tried. Can you put them on slow/intermittent even in a torrential downpour and FSD Beta still stay engaged?
Yes, at least for me.

No need to Disagree my post since my main response was the SAME as yours that can't turn them off to the "...turn them off from the menus..." post. You did correct me that you can change the speed and that is sufficient with out the Disagree. Mine are dry wiping and there is no way to stop it.
But that isn't what you said at all. You said you couldn't "change it from Auto no matter what you do." Which is 100% false.

• Disagree
Reactions: JulienW
Accuracy is better
FSD, AP require wipers to be usable as the cameras require a clear windshield. You can move the wiper setting from Auto to one of the hash speeds I. II. III. IIII
But cannot select off
The biggest problem I have is when running FSD or AP on a clear day and just watt to wash the windshield pushing in the left stalk, with washing done the wipers keep going
Now with dry wiping I am forced to turn FSD or AP off, then wipers off and then FSD AP back on
Not good

Am I the only one who--despite loving my M3--finds the auto wipers issue hilariously sad? I mean, how do we have cars that **drive themselves** (sort of...errr...well better than any other consumer vehicle) but can't correctly determine if the windshield needs wiping? OK, I get it, Elon didn't want a proper sensor and insists we use cameras. Well, it's been at least 5 years for the elite Tesla programmers to figure this out for these types of Teslas (M3 and MY,) and it's still this inexcusably bad? How is that possible? Good lord!

Sorry. End of rant.

Reactions: SalisburySam
I'm suspecting that there is either a defect in the glass of the windshield, small pits on the outside or contamination inside the windshield. My M3 has never had wiper issues and I'm on my third windshield. So, I don't believe this is a simple software issue. There must be something causing some glint in front of the lens for those who are having issues.

Has anyone who has, or had, wiper issues seen the behavior change for better or worse after a windshield replacement?

Am I the only one who--despite loving my M3--finds the auto wipers issue hilariously sad? I mean, how do we have cars that **drive themselves** (sort of...errr...well better than any other consumer vehicle) but can't correctly determine if the windshield needs wiping? OK, I get it, Elon didn't want a proper sensor and insists we use cameras. Well, it's been at least 5 years for the elite Tesla programmers to figure this out for these types of Teslas (M3 and MY,) and it's still this inexcusably bad? How is that possible? Good lord!

Sorry. End of rant.
I don't think any software can fix the wipers, at least get them to the level of a dedicated sensor. The cameras aren't focused on the windshield, obviously. If they were good at detecting rain, Autopilot would be constantly degraded by rain drops obscuring its view of the road. They're able to shrug off rainfall and it's barely noticeable in the camera frame, by design. Even if you showed the camera feed to a human, they'd have trouble telling you if it's raining or not. The only thing visible is a subtle halo of a raindrop that looks just like dust or lens flare, and for fine droplets its basically invisible.

Small Rant -
Ver. 11.4.7 - I tried to use Autopilot on the way home from work yesterday, but I was denied. My windshield wiper fluid was low, not out, just low.
It was a completely sunny day, no rain and the windshield was clear.
So, I was denied because of the off chance I needed to use all of my wiper fluid, it would not let me use it.
How about disabling it when you need to wipe the window if there is no wiper fluid left?
The windshield wiper situation is a joke.
End of Rant -

Ver. 11.4.7 - I tried to use Autopilot on the way home from work yesterday, but I was denied. My windshield wiper fluid was low, not out, just low.
It was a completely sunny day, no rain and the windshield was clear.
So, I was denied because of the off chance I needed to use all of my wiper fluid, it would not let me use it.
How about disabling it when you need to wipe the window if there is no wiper fluid left?
Does it have a sensor to differentiate between low and empty? (I don't think it does, so for all it knows it is empty.)

Just 'upgraded' to 11.4.7. It hasn't rained yet so I don't know how the wipers will do in rain.

I do know that parked in the shade. in camp mode, the wipers were swiping every 20 minutes or so. No idea why. Don't care. Still hate the car. (And no, it wasn't my idea to install 11.4.7, Tesla SC downloaded the updates (we were on 11.4.2 which was working fine) and then, despite my warnings, he installed it.)