Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) auto-wipers seem drastically worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add me to the list of people with Auto-wiper issues. Its so bad I've actually stopped using FSD at times. I guess we have a new disengagement reason that has nothing to do with driving lol. I've even tried cleaning the camera but no change.
I love this - maybe for a while, every time the car does this I'll disengage FSD just so can bitch at them about dry wipes - and then do the same for no wipes in the rain. It won't do any good, but I'll enjoy it. Ha!

I have a 2016 X 90D. I haven't been using FSDb. Early summer, I don't recall having issues with wipers, dry wipe or not auto wiping after coaxing it to start. My 1994 BMW 540 had to be turned on and off to start the auto sensor then it worked flawlessly to sense rain, even a little. After the last two updates, i did start having issues. I"m currently on 2023.27.7. Sometimes, when starting, the wiper would wipe once. FSDb is off. If it was raining, I could get it to sense after turning the wipes on to intermittent.
This week, I was driving Toronto, Hamilton to London, about 200 km. It was 2C (35F), so I preconditions the car. I decided I was going to use the FSDb once on the highway, but I had a warning that the front cameras were obscured. When I got to Hamilton, about an hour, I checked the lenses, but they were clean, windshield was clean. I noticed the glass inside the front camera enclosure was foggy. Condensation because the enclosure was blocking the defrost air flow. On the was to London from there, the condensation cleared and the warn disappeared.
On the way back it started raining, but auto would not operate at all. I did put FSDb on for the trip back, but auto still did not work. Rain started as a drizzle and I waited for
them to come on, nothing. It started to pour but I had to adjust manually. Every time I approach a transport truck the car wouldn't pass, rather it would slow from 120kph to 60kph before I intervened. I'm guessing it didn't like the spray coming off the rear wheels.
Another "new thing" the ventilation has stopped working properly. Again, it was now about 6C and raining. The windows started fogging up. I put the windscreen defrost on and the fan did clear the front and side windows, but the cabin temperature climbed from 20.5C to 28C before adjusting the temp back to 20.5C. The fan slowed down and the windows fogged again. I turned the defrost back on, same thing, 28C. Last winter, everything worked fine.]

The windows started fogging up. I put the windscreen defrost on and the fan did clear the front and side windows, but the cabin temperature climbed from 20.5C to 28C before adjusting the temp back to 20.5C. The fan slowed down and the windows fogged again. I turned the defrost back on, same thing, 28C. Last winter, everything worked fine.]

In case you don't know, there are two settings for defrost (at least this was true last winter, I haven't needed it this year yet).

If the icon is red, then heat is added to the air blowing on the windows. If the icon is blue, then it is only blowing cooler air. Not sure if that would have helped in your situation but it took a while before I understood there were two settings.

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394 and Justjim
In case you don't know, there are two settings for defrost (at least this was true last winter, I haven't needed it this year yet).

If the icon is red, then heat is added to the air blowing on the windows. If the icon is blue, then it is only blowing cooler air. Not sure if that would have helped in your situation but it took a while before I understood there were two settings.
I hit it once and it went blue...I hit it again and it went red....must be better, yes? Another face plant! Heat probably got the windows cleared fast, but I should have gone back to blue. Thank you!
I'm clearly stuck in old technology when the back window defrost was a heating coil...red.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue
I hit it once and it went blue...I hit it again and it went red....must be better, yes? Another face plant! Heat probably got the windows cleared fast, but I should have gone back to blue. Thank you!
I'm clearly stuck in old technology when the back window defrost was a heating coil...red.
Being Canadian, you may also need to know that in order to get the rear view mirrors to defrost, you need to turn on the rear defroster. Front defrost doesn't do it. Apparently this isn't unusual for a vehicle, but this is my first car with heated mirrors and I couldn't figure out.

Although reading the section in the manual now, the information is confusing since in the first bullet it says to use the rear defroster and in the second it says the windshield defroster will do it.

(Ignore the numbering, it is actually 16 and 17 in the manual.)
  1. Touch to warm up the rear windshield. After 15 minutes, the rear window defroster automatically turns off. The exterior side mirrors are also heated whenever the rear window defroster is operating.
  2. The windshield defroster distributes air flow to the windshield. Touch once to defog the windshield (the icon turns blue). Touch a second time to defrost the windshield. Touch a third time to turn off and restore the air distribution, heating, and fan to their previous settings. In cold ambient temperatures, the exterior side mirrors are also heated whenever the windshield defroster is operating. See Cold Weather Best Practices for more information on preparing for cold weather.

As fellow dry-swipers, I thought you might appreciate what happened yesterday with my car.

I was stopped at a light, heading directly into the sun. As I sat there, during my scan of mirrors, I noted the car behind me had its wipers go. I immediately wondered if it was a Tesla and marveled how mine had not dry-swiped yet since the conditions were ripe for it to do so despite the fact that I was not in FSDb or TACC.

As I pulled away from the light, I looked back and determined it was an ICE vehicle and then laughed at myself for assuming it was a Tesla. Immediately, my wipers began dry swiping, and continued to do so after I cleaned the windshield. It was as if the car sensed I thought it should be dry swiping and so did!

(I set the wipers to OFF to make it stop.)

I came here wondering if I was the only one.

I will step out on a limb that until the past two software releases, I was relatively ok with the auto-wipers. However, now, they are really ****ing bad. Cloudy day. Dry wipe. Really sunny day, dry wipe.

Has been driving me ****ing crazy.

Reactions: rbcopod
I'm kind of done laughing about how bad it is. It's really, truly bothering me. The dry wipes on cloudless days are inexplicable and have been causing marks on the windshield and ruining the wipers. And the lack of wipers working in downpours is unsafe. How can Tesla possibly allow this to continue??

Reactions: Dracaris
Being Canadian, you may also need to know that in order to get the rear view mirrors to defrost, you need to turn on the rear defroster. Front defrost doesn't do it. Apparently this isn't unusual for a vehicle, but this is my first car with heated mirrors and I couldn't figure out.

Although reading the section in the manual now, the information is confusing since in the first bullet it says to use the rear defroster and in the second it says the windshield defroster will do it.

(Ignore the numbering, it is actually 16 and 17 in the manual.)
  1. Touch to warm up the rear windshield. After 15 minutes, the rear window defroster automatically turns off. The exterior side mirrors are also heated whenever the rear window defroster is operating.
  2. The windshield defroster distributes air flow to the windshield. Touch once to defog the windshield (the icon turns blue). Touch a second time to defrost the windshield. Touch a third time to turn off and restore the air distribution, heating, and fan to their previous settings. In cold ambient temperatures, the exterior side mirrors are also heated whenever the windshield defroster is operating. See Cold Weather Best Practices for more information on preparing for cold weather.

Thank you! Didn't know the rear view has its own defrost...I would have thought it should come on with the side mirrors. You know "all the mirrors". I guess this is why he's building them and only driving one. lol

I've been testing FSD for 2 years now and whenever I see another Tesla, I've always wondered if they are testing as well. Now, I just look for Tesla's with their wipers going on sunny days and know they are fellow FSDBeta testers 🤣. The wipers are the new Tesla wave lol.
So those not on an FSDb release don’t have any (or nearly as many) issues with their wipers?

Actually, even basic Autopilot throws your wipers into Auto mode, so it's not quite an FSD indicator. It's more of an embarrassing Tesla behavior across the board. Musk and the Tesla board should be hanging their heads in shame over this.

Reactions: cmy4x4
Actually, even basic Autopilot throws your wipers into Auto mode, so it's not quite an FSD indicator. It's more of an embarrassing Tesla behavior across the board. Musk and the Tesla board should be hanging their heads in shame over this.
But people with FSDb are on different firmware versions than everyone else. So there is a difference, regardless of whether or not you use FSDb. I almost never use it. It’s been at least two months since I’ve turned it on. But my wipers have been awful throughout.

We can pick nits, or we can simply acknowledge that on Tesla vehicles without gel-pack rain sensors the automatic rain sensing feature absolutely stinks no matter what firmware version we're on. Any time Tesla forces the car into auto wiper mode, it's pretty much guaranteed not to work right, because when it comes to a key standard feature found on all other cars competing in their price range, Tesla management continues to prove itself utterly incompetent.

Maybe look at it this way: If the board of Open AI can fire Altman, the board of Tesla can sure as heck fire Musk...and they should do so immediately if not sooner.

I obviously agree that until they put their big boy pants on and solve this issue, they should not require auto wipers. The car already terminates any driving assistance modes if the car thinks it can't see, so that should be sufficient for now. Not optimal of course for a car in this price range, but acceptable for now.

Reactions: dansev