Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) auto-wipers seem drastically worse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got v11.4.7 (2023.7.30) last night and, strangely, auto-wipers were awful in some rainstorms today. Clearly worse than 11.4.4. In moderate to heavy rain they barely wiped and I could could not see well. Obviously, I couldn't safely test this too much without hitting the single wipe button for visibility (or manually setting the speed).

Previously I found auto-wipers were OK. In actual rainy conditions they did a decent job of wiping sufficiently (I think a lot of the complaints people are from excessive wiping when not needed). It was obviously different today. I think at one point I saw a warning on screen that the forward camera was occluded which gives you an indication of how much water was building up.

Odd regression. I wonder if they meant to change something in this release or this is a completely unintended bug?
I had the same issue. I tried using auto pilot on my drive between Dallas and San Antonio. When I actually turned them off manually, they wouldn’t go off. They kept going back onto auto. When it was raining hard, I had to turn them on manually because they didn’t turn on at all. Very frustrating!

I had the same issue. I tried using auto pilot on my drive between Dallas and San Antonio. When I actually turned them off manually, they wouldn’t go off. They kept going back onto auto. When it was raining hard, I had to turn them on manually because they didn’t turn on at all. Very frustrating!
Agreed, this whole ridiculous problem is made far worse by Tesla's insistence that wipers must be in "Automatic" mode anytime basic AP, EAP or FSD are active. I understand that they do this because the cameras must be able to see (since they yanked out USS), but since cameras can't tell the difference between wet and dry, why not let the driver decide, and just shut down AP / EAP / FSD if the cameras don't think they can see?

Reactions: eli_
Agreed, this whole ridiculous problem is made far worse by Tesla's insistence that wipers must be in "Automatic" mode anytime basic AP, EAP or FSD are active. I understand that they do this because the cameras must be able to see (since they yanked out USS), but since cameras can't tell the difference between wet and dry, why not let the driver decide, and just shut down AP / EAP / FSD if the cameras don't think they can see?
I don't have to have my wipers in automatic mode while driving with any of these. I have complete control of my wipers.......they may switch into automatic mode when I engage, but I can easily switch it out of automatic mode and control them myself......I guess I consider myself lucky in the fact that I also don't have the phantom dry wipes that others encounter

I don't have to have my wipers in automatic mode while driving with any of these. I have complete control of my wipers.......they may switch into automatic mode when I engage, but I can easily switch it out of automatic mode and control them myself......I guess I consider myself lucky in the fact that I also don't have the phantom dry wipes that others encounter
You are most fortunate. In our 2023 MYLR (HW4) vehicle, if we activate basic autopilot, EAP, or FSD, the wipers are switched automatic and cannot be turned off until the driving mode in question has been turned off.

You are most fortunate. In our 2023 MYLR (HW4) vehicle, if we activate basic autopilot, EAP, or FSD, the wipers are switched automatic and cannot be turned off until the driving mode in question has been turned off.
This behavior is the normal through most of the fleet, so don't worry that you're missing something. When AP/FSD Beta is enabled, wipers are set to Auto. Some suggest you can manually set them to ON and that works as well - you just cannot set them to OFF, and for the reasons you pointed out - the computer needs to see.

Many here have seen much better wiper functionality in past versions when the wipers were using a single forward camera. Tesla is attempting to alter the wipers to use all cameras, similar to FSD Beta vs the older AP stack. I think their approach isn't working well, or needs significant re-training to work correctly, and it's likely something they are putting effort into. Seeing that wipers were working well in the past, I'm confident they can get them working well again.

This behavior is the normal through most of the fleet, so don't worry that you're missing something. When AP/FSD Beta is enabled, wipers are set to Auto. Some suggest you can manually set them to ON and that works as well - you just cannot set them to OFF, and for the reasons you pointed out - the computer needs to see.

Many here have seen much better wiper functionality in past versions when the wipers were using a single forward camera. Tesla is attempting to alter the wipers to use all cameras, similar to FSD Beta vs the older AP stack. I think their approach isn't working well, or needs significant re-training to work correctly, and it's likely something they are putting effort into. Seeing that wipers were working well in the past, I'm confident they can get them working well again.
My default on FSD are wipers off on both vehicles. It's really annoying, but even when on Auto, they don't work well. I have to use the manual controls. It's been that way since 11.4.7 for me.

Last edited:
I have also noticed a degradation in the performance of the windshield wipers on auto. Too much or not enough. My car is a 2018 and over the years they have been not bad but now are horrible. Constantly using them on manual. Considering the rest of the Tesla technology, they are certainly missing the boat on what should be a simple feature.

This change doesn’t make sense to me. I can see using all the cameras to decide if it is raining. However, the wipers can clear only the front cameras‘ views. So, if there’s something on the B pillar or backup cameras, running the wipers isn’t going to help.

I wonder if people with wipers running too frequently could get some relief by cleaning all the cameras really well?

I thought using surround video for auto wipers was an upcoming feature, not how it works today (even on FSD Beta cars).

Admittedly I'm going by memory of reading the Elon tea leaves on X - did you have a source for this?

I thought using surround video for auto wipers was an upcoming feature, not how it works today (even on FSD Beta cars).

Admittedly I'm going by memory of reading the Elon tea leaves on X - did you have a source for this?

• Informative
Reactions: Dracaris
Sounds like they may be running a new auto wipers system in the background on this release.

The most notable of these is the introduction of Autowiper v4 and the option to disable the much-anticipated "Deep Rain" neural net.

To me this sounds like a feature flag for the new auto-wipers and it's still turned off so we're all still stuck on the old system. Here's the underlying Tweet source, but it doesn't definitively say either way.

Are you interpreting this differently?

If Tesla did ship Autowipers v4 to everyone back in May, it's been a spectacular failure.

Sounds like they may be running a new auto wipers system in the background on this release.

To me this sounds like a feature flag for the new auto-wipers and it's still turned off so we're all still stuck on the old system. Here's the underlying Tweet source, but it doesn't definitively say either way.

Are you interpreting this differently?

If Tesla did ship Autowipers v4 to everyone back in May, it's been a spectacular failure.
I think the framework has been pushed out, and they are gathering data from the fleet. I'm hopeful they will adjust and train on the next few releases until we're functioning properly like we were a few releases ago.

Car is still in for service, but they've updated the HW4 camera firmware and replaced the windshield as it was so improperly mounted that it was out of spec. Lost our ceramic windshield tint in the trade, but maybe this will help vision for the wipers?

Probably not, but who knows. One thing I've learned, no more windshield tint, no matter what the benefits seem to be. Can't be erasing that kind of money every time a rock hits the windshield or the Tesla SC realizes our car was built wrong. Jeeez. We'll be better off spending a few bucks on a better sun shade for the windshield that we'd use when parked outside. Any recommendations, feel free to PM vs. taking this thread wildly off track. ;)

Picked up our car from Tesla SC today, new windshield and updated camera firmware on board. On the way home driving for a little over an hour on city and suburban streets, we only got 3 false wipes while wipers were in Auto mode. That feels like less than before, but not definitive. In the coming days and weeks, we'll have to see whether the auto wipers actually wipe in the rain.

Still on 2023.27.7 / 11.4.7.3, so it's a legit comparison between before and after WRT whether the camera firmware update and/or new windshield make a difference.

Picked up our car from Tesla SC today, new windshield and updated camera firmware on board. On the way home driving for a little over an hour on city and suburban streets, we only got 3 false wipes while wipers were in Auto mode. That feels like less than before, but not definitive. In the coming days and weeks, we'll have to see whether the auto wipers actually wipe in the rain.

Still on 2023.27.7 / 11.4.7.3, so it's a legit comparison between before and after WRT whether the camera firmware update and/or new windshield make a difference.
I don’t know, “only” three? That’s three more than there should be! I think that proves this is a software problem, 100%.

I don’t know, “only” three? That’s three more than there should be! I think that proves this is a software problem, 100%.
Oh, I totally agree. More than zero is unacceptable. One coincided with a cloud shadow passing over the car. No rain, just unexpected shade. Later, when I drove along under a series of trees throwing dappled shade over the road I expected completely insane dry wiping, but got zero dry wipes. Strange.

Another victim of circumstance here! 2023 Model Y SR, HW4.
Drove about 60 miles one day last week (TACC engaged, so wipers were forced to Auto). No rain anywhere, perfectly dry the whole time.
I had a total of 12 'dry wipe' occurrences. Average of one every 5 miles (~ 5 minutes).

My observation is that although these can and do occur under all conditions (for no apparent reason), it seems worse for me on a day that is overcast.
This needs to be addressed, and should be given a high priority. At least give us the ability to turn the damned things off when in Autopilot until there is a fix.