Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
status icons (bluetooth, wifi, etc.) used to be a glance away, on the top right corner. now they are behind a menu. it. is. insane. why the eff would you hide these things? soooooo stupid.

i'm really happy people like V11 (sarcasm). can't wait for more improvements (again, sarcasm)

just really tired of changing s@#t for the sake of change and then claiming it's better.

it's not.

On the Model S (and I assume X) those controls are still at the top of the screen.

This is a problem, IMO. I sure don't need everything shuffled around once a year.

My experience is that things got worse from v10 to v11... then I read many people saying v7 was better than v8, v8 was better then v9, and v9 was better than v10. This is not encouraging.

I work in software, so I'm not stranger to designers getting tired of their software and wanting to "freshen things up", however users do not want that. Users spend time and energy getting familiar with the software, and no one wants those efforts discarded.

I'm happy for an update when it includes a bug fix or a new feature. Otherwise, meh... who moved my cheese? (yells at cloud)

I'm a software engineer too, but I also have mild dyslexia. Dyslexics navigate the world through patterns and when the patterns change, it derails them.

I have a friend who is severely dyslexic and a "friend" who thought he knew better completely rearranged the icons on her phone to be what he thought was more efficient. She had a melt down. He couldn't understand what the problem was. I could see what her problem was, but it took a while to get through to him that she saw the world differently.

I loath OS updates that change everything. I usually push Windows updates until I absolutely have to update and then spend weeks working less efficiently because things aren't in the same place anymore. And I have some utilities to make later versions of Windows look like older versions. Open Shell gives you the same Start button menu of the Win 95-Win 2000 era.

For the software I'm developing I rarely change the interface unless my boss can make the case that some change would make work flow easier. Interfaces can always use tweaks to improve them, but do it intelligently, not just because it needs a fresh new look.

I think Tesla went out of their way to try to make things more difficult in the UI so that people wouldn’t play with it as much while driving down the road.

At least that’s my suspicion…

Of course the stubborn among us we’re gonna do it anyway and crash as a big FU Tesla… then Tesla will just get sued for making it impossible to use menu system and be right back to where they didn’t want to be.

The changes to the UI require more attention to the screen while driving, which is a big problem. Last winter after the V11 update I spent way too much time futzing with the screen trying to get the defroster turned on while driving on a rough road. I was very nervous during the process. I had trouble seeing the road because of the fogging and my finger kept bouncing off the hot spot on the screen. I spent way too long looking at the screen rather than the road.

The touch screen interface that Tesla has is cheaper to make and update than physical buttons, but it has drawbacks in a car where the driver needs to be able to control things without taking their eyes off the road. With a physical button interface, you can change settings by braille once you learn where all the controls are. You know the shape and location of all the buttons, so you can turn on things like the defroster without looking.

I barely look at the screen other than the speed. I set the destination (if needed) and that’s it. I don’t even touch Spotify as I hate the UI and due to years of curating playlists on iTunes. I couldn’t give an ass about energy usage even on long trips.

Am I missing something exciting where I need to be using the screen more while I drive?

I barely look at the screen other than the speed. I set the destination (if needed) and that’s it. I don’t even touch Spotify as I hate the UI and due to years of curating playlists on iTunes. I couldn’t give an ass about energy usage even on long trips.

Am I missing something exciting where I need to be using the screen more while I drive?
No. If you don't need the screen, then you're not missing out in my opinion. I really don't look at the screen much, either. When I *do* need something, like the energy graph telling me I'm going to arrive at my destination with -5%, no closer charging, and no cell phone coverage then I NEED the energy graph.

No. If you don't need the screen, then you're not missing out in my opinion. I really don't look at the screen much, either. When I *do* need something, like the energy graph telling me I'm going to arrive at my destination with -5%, no closer charging, and no cell phone coverage then I NEED the energy graph.
That’s fair, I moved energy short cut to the bottom bar as occasionally I like to push how far I can - or shouldn’t go! I’m assuming it’s still there but I’ve seen to software updates in the past week so it may have gone somewhere else.

This time of year I don't touch the screen very often, though I do cycle the AC on and off. In colder weather I need to turn the window defogger on and off fairly frequently. I can have the button for that on the bottom bar now, but it's a pain on the older S and X to have to constantly go to the bottom of the screen. The buttons are well below the driver's line of sight in the vertical screen cars. In the 3/Y and new S/X the bottom of the screen is closer to the driver's line of sight.

This time of year I don't touch the screen very often, though I do cycle the AC on and off. In colder weather I need to turn the window defogger on and off fairly frequently. I can have the button for that on the bottom bar now, but it's a pain on the older S and X to have to constantly go to the bottom of the screen. The buttons are well below the driver's line of sight in the vertical screen cars. In the 3/Y and new S/X the bottom of the screen is closer to the driver's line of sight.
I leave the Aircon on 22c and auto so I suppose that’s why I don’t need to look at the screen. The only time that I’ve had fogging is when I’ve turned it off.

Is this thread still a thing? If one reads every post, it becomes clear that the major complaints lodged against the V11 UI were fixed with subsequent software updates.

The programmable icons on the screen are still inscrutable. The only thing you can do is to study them and memorize the purely arbitrary shapes and colors.

When you have a car manufacturer that thinks turning on the rear heated seat from the touch panel in front is a good idea, stupidity will snowball down.

It only makes sense that there are no controls by the rear seats. This is just the first step in a long journey. Musk has said, “All user input is error”. So eventually the AI will tell you if you are comfortable and decide, for you, when your rear needs warming. No buttons anywhere.

The end of this journey has us serving the AI as it decides everything in our lives for us.

This would be a HUGE mistake. It won't stop people from touching the screen... it'll just cause the screen interactions to take long (and thus, more distracted driving).
That’s exactly what I think is the current problem… Since you can’t find anything because it’s not intuitive like it was in the old menu set, you’re much more likely to have an accident or something along those lines.

Reactions: gnuarm
I loath OS updates that change everything. I usually push Windows updates until I absolutely have to update and then spend weeks working less efficiently because things aren't in the same place anymore. And I have some utilities to make later versions of Windows look like older versions. Open Shell gives you the same Start button menu of the Win 95-Win 2000 era.
The reason I wait until absolutely necessary to replace windows operating systems from one major released to the next is because it’s better for them the iron the kinks out on everybody else’s dime.

it usually takes the vendors who have their own drivers and everything else a bit of time to get their stuff together when a new operating system comes out. Basically it’s a matter of cost efficiency… Why pay my staff to fix a bunch of problems as they show up when they could be doing other things and then we could have a relatively smooth roll out of the newer operating system.

We patch for CVEs, and add functionality were requested… Then we wait for a good year to two years before we implement a new operating system.

Reactions: sleepydoc
The past year or two has kind of sucked for updates. I'm guessing it's a combination of the firmware team actually being pretty small, plus needing to stand up the whole software stack on the Ryzen platform, shipping the triple-screen UI for the Model S/X (and all the associated features for that), and adapting to supply change shortages for out-of-stock MCUs. Firmware for Ryzen cars is still unfinished, they don't even power up the GPU on the S/X yet, and they don't support USB game controllers (and promised Bluetooth support is still MIA). Next year the Cybertruck will probably consume all the firmware team resources, maybe Semi too.