Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

v11 software update SUCKS

Do you prefer v11 Tesla UI to v10.x, or want Tesla to go back to v10?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The most recent update for my wife's 2018 Tesla Model 3 has left her very unhappy. Her main focus is rocking out to music when she drives. I can hear her Tesla coming down the street before she pulls into the driveway.The recent update has completely redone the screen so what she was accustomed to viewing for music is all undone. I read the Elon said something about the recent update being reasonable? Nah!
How to return the full screen for music?

200mi is not a viable alternative for quite a few people, incl. me. Has to be at least 400-450mi. ATM only Lucid has that range but they are where Tesla was with the Roadster - a niche car.
I have a friend with ID.4 and he curses the EA on a regular basis. It is not only coverage but also often they do not work properly. The price is also too high.
In just two years the picture will be very, very different. Tesla does not have much time to get their stih together.

There are a lot of battery factories being built around the world, but it's going to be more than 2 years before the production volumes are competing with Tesla. Most car companies aren't talking about producing EVs in volume until 2025.

I got another update today, but I haven't looked at it yet. I hope it fixed some things. There will probably be at least some improvements over the next few versions.

If Tesla is headed for an interface that is centered around FSD it's a big mistake. But Tesla has changed direction many times in the past. They could change tack back towards a driver-centric experience too. There is nothing inherent with FSD that would require them to bork the interface.

Reactions: chengka and Sporty
I guess I will have to find another EV brand, I love driving and do not want a car with autonomous driving.

I certainly have mixed feelings. I want an EV because of what it has to offer. I was really second guessing my decision when i realized the direction they are heading and how the new UI changes make sense to me now. I still think about canceling my order every day.

But now i look at the car like a smart phone. It really is a variation of that. Originally i had a dumb mobile phone. It worked great for phone calls. Then i got a phone that could send texts, which was awesome. Then smart phones came out and obviously i got one. Fast forward to today, and now i carry a device that monitors my every move ( i believe it listens too - i have a conversation with someone and next thing i know, i'm seeing ads everywhere, seemingly out of the blue). My phone controls me as much as i control it.

Changes to my phones UI may infuriate me, because i own the damn thing. But how much sense does it make to think your opinion matters at all? Who would you even complain to? If i knew this in the beginning, i may have said count me out - no smart phone for me. But i would miss out on the benefits of the technology that most everyone else enjoys. Resistance really is futile.

We're at the very beginning of seeing this newfangled personal entertainment/surveillance/data vacuum/controlling device, being introduced into the world. Just like that first smartphone, i could delay it, but not indefinitely. It's only a matter of time. I'm just going to give in now and enjoy it while i can - while it still brings more pleasure than pain. But eventually i will serve it more than it serves me - just like Amazon, Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Facebook. It will nudge me in subtle directions and make me the person it wants me to be. And i won't be able to live without it. Genius.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: Exelion
I certainly have mixed feelings. I want an EV because of what it has to offer. I was really second guessing my decision when i realized the direction they are heading and how the new UI changes make sense to me now. I still think about canceling my order every day.

But now i look at the car like a smart phone. It really is a variation of that. Originally i had a dumb mobile phone. It worked great for phone calls. Then i got a phone that could send texts, which was awesome. Then smart phones came out and obviously i got one. Fast forward to today, and now i carry a device that monitors my every move ( i believe it listens too - i have a conversation with someone and next thing i know, i'm seeing ads everywhere, seemingly out of the blue). My phone controls me as much as i control it.

Changes to my phones UI may infuriate me, because i own the damn thing. But how much sense does it make to think your opinion matters at all? Who would you even complain to? If i knew this in the beginning, i may have said count me out - no smart phone for me. But i would miss out on the benefits of the technology that most everyone else enjoys. Resistance really is futile.

We're at the very beginning of seeing this newfangled personal entertainment/surveillance/data vacuum/controlling device, being introduced into the world. Just like that first smartphone, i could delay it, but not indefinitely. It's only a matter of time. I'm just going to give in now and enjoy it while i can - while it still brings more pleasure than pain. But eventually i will serve it more than it serves me - just like Amazon, Apple, Google, Microsoft, and Facebook. It will nudge me in subtle directions and make me the person it wants me to be. And i won't be able to live without it. Genius.

That said, v11 sucks.

If v11 is the future, Elon...no. just no. you will NEVER convince me that full self driving is around the corner. Why oh why did this new update cover the effing compass when using the "navigate to" box of directions? stupid. stupid. stupid. why eve move the compass? really?!!

i'm really glad i didn't pay extra for the not-very auto wipers. they come on when parked (it's raining, this is the PNW, ha) and go like mad while backing out of parking spot. note that i'm backing up and am not looking out the damn windshield. THE MOMENT i 'shift' to drive and move forward, they STOP. this is yet another fail. jesus, it's just sad.

can't stand the extra taps and menus to see info that used to be a glance. don't care if the car will ever drive itself, this is not safe now. period. end of discussion.

yes, i know the rants do absolutely nothing. 3 years of super mostly awesome and now a month of stupid. don't get me started on USB music...

I also find the new location of your speed to be awkward and dangerous. Now that it has moved to the left corner instead of the middle of the screen, my hand blocks it so I either have to move my hand or move my head to see the speed. Why? It seems so much safer and user friendly to have it in the middle.

If Tesla is headed for an interface that is centered around lol FSD it's a big mistake.
I agree completely. Can someone explain why I need to see what my car sees if it's driving? The beta visualization is nothing more than a waste of good screen real estate. I don't have a big issue with v11, other than the silly small font for notifications, but I still have a 10" screen for the map and media because of the car animation!

So a few weeks in, the new UI still sucks. It almost seems like everything got smaller and buried in menus. I still don't like any of it.

I tried to adapt by using voice commands "turn drivers seat to one bacon" or something but honestly the way the car interprets/understands voice is kind of a joke. I've got about 50% success rate on voice commands so I kind of gave up on that.

I read this and the first thing that came to mind was, it's bad enough Elon borked the V11 interface. Imagine having them bork your BRAIN?
"Elon Musk’s Brain Implant Company Is Inching Toward Human Trials"

Considering the screw ups with the car software, does anyone in their right mind want Elon's code in their head? I've thought for some time than Neurolink was the most dangerous thing Elon has ever done.

Keep in mind that there's verbiage in in the new (-er(-ish)) warranties stating that keeping updated is a warranty obligation.
You cannot hold forever. Either the SC will install it when you go there for something or the alarm clock will turn from yellow to black and at 2:00am it will install itself - sooner or later.
The resistance is futile. Think of it as a bridge until the other manufacturers catch up and offer viable alternatives. Two-three years top.