Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not to go too off topic, but I've never understood this--what is the risk of displaying the 5 digit VIN?
I dont think there is to much risk, even plates, if you drive a car in the US, your plate is probably scanned and in a database. 60% of all cars in the US have been scanned. And those guys have your plate, picture of your car and location of scan.

A license plate number or vin can be reverse lookup to identify the address and name of the registered owner for a small fee. It’s a privacy thing. Would one post their name and home address on a forum? By posting your vin that is basically what you are doing and it could be exploited by the more devious elements of our society.

Needle in the haystack risk in the grand scheme of things however. We do love our vin numbers on this forum. They are posted everywhere. One could say it’s a bit of a obsession.

Reactions: codeblue309
Congrats for all of the red/aero VINs from 2/14. I can mark that step and the next off my list as I see 2 blue/aeros from 2/22 non-owners have their VINs:
  • 2/14 owners getting VINs for red with aero wheels
  • 2/22 invited non-owners getting VINs for any color and aero wheels
Next step:
  • 2/22 invited non-owners getting VINs for red with aero wheels
Exciting day for lots of folks.

All you red/aero folks with new VINs need to update the Model 3 sheet. There are six new entries today and none of them are red. Thanks. I know, I know, you are totally excited and have forgotten. You can tell me that when I get my red/aero VIN. :)

I'm very curious when your delivery will be. The drive from Freemont to Portland takes one day (maybe two,) so if your car is being loaded onto a trailer, delivery might come fast. I'm in a weird spot where I'm not sure what to do about financing. I've seen some people report having a delivery date scheduled VERY fast after a VIN has been assigned on the west coast. I've yet to apply for financing without a VIN, but I'd hate to get a call asking for delivery to be in a few days and be slowed down by my bank taking too long to process things. I guess in the grand scheme of things, it might only be a day or two delay, but I'm hoping to time this perfectly. I just don't want to apply for financing and then have some sort of odd delay require that I do a second hard-pull 30 days later.

Just got it. 88XX. Stated it’s being loaded into trailer and will update delivery once it’s moving. I’ll update spreadsheet when I get home. Super excited. The Red is actually coming for Aeros.

Reactions: N8Howell33