Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VIN Assignment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was excited for all the white as well once they started popping up yesterday, but most of the white VINs today were sport wheels. I believe one was aero, but the tracker is not loading for me right now. I will just keep on waiting for a white/aero VIN.

I know it's still somewhat early/middle of the day, but I am seeing most if not all of today's VIN assignments shifting back to the West coast or at least closer to CA. I was so excited to see White/Sport VINs start to show up, but my excitement may be short lived if the CA and close to CA trend continues today/tomorrow (as I am in Indiana). Happy for all the CA and closer to CA folks to get some love after waiting out the East coast delivery focus earlier this month.

Hot off the press: 20 new Model 3 VINS registered! Maybe AWD cars? I'm gonna dig in and try to figure it out. Model 3 VINs (@Model3VINs) | Twitter
upload_2018-3-13_13-50-25.png

Last edited:
If you mean that they may simply "abandon" some VINs and move on without filling previous bins, I am not sure if they are allowed to do that. The are already bending the rules by shuffling VINs, since pretty much the only thing federal regs say about them is that VINs should be assigned sequentially. And I don't think we have evidence (yet) for any large blocks of VINs being permanently abandoned.

Wikipedia doesn't assert that sequential numbering is required:

Vehicle identifier section[edit]
The 10th to 17th positions are used as the 'vehicle identifier section' (VIS). This is used by the manufacturer to identify the individual vehicle in question. This may include information on options installed or engine and transmission choices, but often is a simple sequential number. In North America, the last five digits must be numeric.

Similarly, neither does VIN Codes: Vehicle Identification Section:

The last six digits are the actual "serial" number. Some manufacturers restart at 000001 each model year, while others just continue sequentially. Others use different number groups for different models, and NABI even numbered every order from 000001!

I assume a large block of VINs from 2017 were, in fact, abandoned, but I don't have the data at my fingertips, and that may be a special case, as the VIN prefix changed.

If we keep seeing low VINs come out of the factory months later, I suppose we can then assume assume at least temporary abandonment of some regions.

I'm the same exact same boat as you. White/aero ordered on 2/15. No VIN. Tesla is batch producing by color and wheel and there have been a decent amount of aero VINs assigned the last three days.

There was or is clearly an issue with white paint, as there had been only one white VIN in March until a bunch started hitting yesterday and today sport/aero. The tracker won't load for me right now, but I checked earlier this morning and there were eight white VINs assigned, 3 aero and 5 sport in the last two day. Aero wheels are still trickling out, but most of the white VINs assigned today were sport wheels. I am crossing my fingers that more aero wheels continue to trickle out. It'd be a major annoyance to me if Tesla is prioritizing sport wheels to pad earnings. I don't think they are based on VINs that have recently been assigned, but if that trend changes I will be sad. Ha.
I have been waiting for my VIN since ordering on 2/5/18 (5 weeks, 1 day) White/Aero/SoCal. At the time of placing the order, the delivery estimate was 4 weeks. Has anybody else been waiting as long or longer?

I have been waiting for my VIN since ordering on 2/5/18 (5 weeks, 1 day) White/Aero/SoCal. At the time of placing the order, the delivery estimate was 4 weeks. Has anybody else been waiting as long or longer?

When I last sorted by configuration date, then filtered by white/aero, it looked like there might be a few people left from January still waiting for VINs with that combo, then there are a handful from early February (you included,) etc, etc.

As of now, there are nine reported white VINs from today, but only one is aero. There were a few white/aeros yesterday, but it still seems like there's a weird lack of white cars with aero wheels. Who knows... I'm trying not to obsess this, but clearly I am.

• Informative
Reactions: prijicrw
Configured 2/15. VIN assigned 3/8. Got the call this morning for 3/28 delivery in Atlanta. Silver/Aero/EAP. (70xx, previously reported)
Stopped by the SC today to buy my center caps and lug nut covers, celebrating the imminent arrival. Off the shelf for $40 (Model S parts), $5 more than the out of stock Model 3 package from tesla.com. Was relieved they were in stock; I didn't want to take delivery pics with the aero covers on (I don't like them...using only for road trip efficiency). By the way the lot at the SC was completely filled with pre-ordered S and X vehicles awaiting delivery in the coming weeks (qtr end push). Had to be $5+ million of sales value just sitting there. Zero Model 3s among them, by the way, underscoring the lack of production in Feb.

Well, a bit of a setback. I lost my VIN. It's kind of a long story but the short version is that they had to change my delivery location. So I assume they assigned my VIN to someone with the same specs who is taking delivery in Pittsburgh. So if anyone just received a VIN in the low 9800's with the config in my signature and is taking delivery there, you're welcome.

Wikipedia doesn't assert that sequential numbering is required:

Similarly, neither does VIN Codes: Vehicle Identification Section:

I assume a large block of VINs from 2017 were, in fact, abandoned, but I don't have the data at my fingertips, and that may be a special case, as the VIN prefix changed.

If we keep seeing low VINs come out of the factory months later, I suppose we can then assume assume at least temporary abandonment of some regions.

49 CFR 565.15 - Content requirements. "The third through the eighth characters of the fourth section (positions 12 through 17) shall represent the number sequentially assigned by the manufacturer in the production process"

49 CFR 565.15 - Content requirements. "The third through the eighth characters of the fourth section (positions 12 through 17) shall represent the number sequentially assigned by the manufacturer in the production process"

I don't think that's definitive. That sounds like a description, not a requirement, and below we read, "Finally, the last digits of the VIN are used by manufacturers to sequentially number groups of similar vehicles that are manufactured." Again, descriptive, not prescriptive, and similar is pretty loose.
upload_2018-3-13_19-28-55.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-3-13_19-28-47.png
    upload_2018-3-13_19-28-47.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 38
  • upload_2018-3-13_19-28-49.png
    upload_2018-3-13_19-28-49.png
    56.5 KB · Views: 35
I don't think that's definitive. That sounds like a description, not a requirement, and below we read, "Finally, the last digits of the VIN are used by manufacturers to sequentially number groups of similar vehicles that are manufactured." Again, descriptive, not prescriptive, and similar is pretty loose.
View attachment 286326
Also, in both cases, “sequentially” describes “assign”/“number”, not “manufacture”.