Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warning - the Tesla stories are coming, be prepared.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It costs $4.20 a week to power Pia's car

Here's another kinda ok piece. Nice to see the cost factors being highlighted. Unfortunate that they include comments from a Business lecturer inferring oil at $200 a barrel is needed for widespread adoption and that a clean energy program leader thinks it will be another 20 years before an EV crosses the Nullarbor...ahmmmm..... MattMDK and a few other may care to disagree. Missing out the biggest adoption factors altogether, the price of batteries and economies of scale on the manufacturing side.

Volvo are becoming more and more arrogant, amazing article...Interesting that Volvo feel that for fill autonomy we need to invest in physical infrastructure, I don't hear Elon suggesting this is a requirement to take us to full autonomy
Volvo needs that long to maybe work out a few issues..... see this video of Volvo in action.... hope the link works

• Funny
Reactions: Novatec
Well I am paying on average $3 per day now, so $1 per day seems like a good deal as long as they're really investing in renewable infrastructure not just planting trees.

I called AGL at 5pm today after reading this article, nobody knew anything about it....anyone know whom you're meant to call?

• Informative
Reactions: BluestarE3
My only concern with this offer is that I think it is more about demand side stimulation than planting trees and doing the right thing environmentally, they're still going to be digging up coal!! The amount of lies and misinformation behind the anti-renewables campaign is unreal. The grid has a massive oversupply (capacity at 50 GW vs average usage around 25 GW), battery tech and the huge declines in price of renewables is going to and is currently condemning and stranding a huge bunch of assets to closure, all will be the aging coal generation assets. A lot of generation assets are owned by AGL, ie. they're going to lose s**t ton of money if they have to shut down those assets. The fact is it is cheaper to 'run' renewables as they're is no real cost to renewables once constructed. As a resi consumer it is massively cheaper to install renewables than use grid power during the day and night time power will catch up eventually as batteries decrease in price. Commercial is the same in the SME space. I think this is yet just another ploy to actually keep the coal plants online. The best thing we can all do, if possible, is fill our roofs with solar PV and solar hot water and buy as little grid power as possible. Ask our bosses or in our own respective businesses fill those roofs with solar. Soon enough the coal plants will get turned off regardless, the price of power will fall and then planting some trees will have a real difference, and we will have some spare cash to pay to plant them.

My first reaction was "I want it" but after reading the whole article and thinking about it I decided to stay with PowerShop paying the extra for green electricity. That means I'll be paying 3 times more to charge the car (less in summer with the solar panels) but compared with petrol it is still very good and next to the actual depreciation of the car is nothing. So I would rather support green electricity initiatives than save $2 a day.

Not on your Nelly (or someone's Nelly anyway). At the moment I'm using $0.75 / day in electrcity to recharge and that's completely from solar. I would not trust AGL on principle to be using 100% renewable energy so they can go down the gurgler with their coal, gas and oil for power. I'm happy to buy their gas and oil in the form of polypropylene and such, but not to burn it.

I do around 17.4% of the 63KW battery (70KW battery at 90%) each day, that translates to around $3 per day for me (using PowerShop Green energy). This translates to 333KW's per month, or around $100 per month....so yeah $33.34 per month sounds appealing AS long as AGL are investing in to Solar Farms, Wind Farms and not just planting trees.

I think the devil will be in the detail, for example if I pull the trigger and go PV with RedFlow's battery storage am I allowed out of this scheme or locked in? Or, what is this AGL smart meter they are talking about? I have a Smart Meter, not a AGL one.

Controlled load as in like Tarif 31? The reason I wont change to Tarif 31 is one uses that in off peak times (as in locked in to non-day light hours to charge) therefore in Victoria where I live it is dirty brown coal that would be charging my car, not ideal.

Even if it's from dirty brown coal on Tariff 31 you are most likely just soaking up some excess generation off peak anyway. In my case (NSW) there are multiple levels of off peak and I'm on OP2 which is basically on all day except between around 5pm-10pm.