Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already made my contribution when I bought my Roadster and was happy to do so. Never in that experience did I feel misled. And to be honest, I've been very impressed with the over-the-top quality of service that I've received. This time it's a different experience and I'm not sitting quiet.

An exotic sports car has a different set of cost expectations than does a premium sedan.

I dont think the current maintenance agreement is a good approach. The standard warranty for the Model S is now $600.00 a year. This car can alert Tesla if any major problem is detected and these issues should be covered under the standard warranty. I understand that Tesla needs to generate revenue to offset their infrastructure, but this is not the way to do it. If yearly inspections are needed for early detection of design or material defects, they should be free of charge during the warranty period. A yearly fee would be warranted after the standard warranty expires. There are very few wear items on the S and the biggest being brakes should only cost $200.00 at the most every 2-3 years, probably less due to regen. The bug fixes should be unlimited and feature additions should be free for the warranty period, with reasonable cost thereafter. One of the biggest selling points of getting this car is to reduce total cost of ownership. The addition of yearly fees seems petty and unreasonable for such a ground-breaking vehicle.

I am a reservation/stock holder and truly believe his company is the key to so many problems. This issue has really left me disappointed and hope that Tesla will find another way around it. The other company Mr Blankenship referenced always made a point of admitting when it was wrong. I hope Tesla has the same ability for introspection.

I will just say flatly that it is disingenuous of Tesla to:
- Repeatedly say maintenance costs of EVs are lower than ICE vehicles then price maintenance arguably the same/more than many ICE vehicles first 50K service.
- Offer to replace consumables as a benefit when at the 12.5K and 25K these consumables will not need replacing
- Not disclose pricing for the 50K+ service levels. Who knows, each one of us could get a rude awakening with a $5000 a year required service to keep the battery under warranty
- Include the justification that software updates are part of this as well when the car is being delivered feature incomplete
- Expect the people who are making the company possible carry all the weight of making it profitable.

Larry, I am not suggesting they give the first 2500 cars away for free and then go take a dirt nap. I am suggesting that the Tesla share the pain with us. Many of us put our money in ~3 years ago, we took a leap of faith WITH Tesla. We are almost there, but reading the forums you and I know we will all be going through the pains of being beta testers. We are now being asked to pony up cash for that “privilege”

Aside from the obvious exaggeration of $5000 I would have a problem trying to argue against this. Well put.

If Tesla needs the capital to fund the infrastructure growth, give us some reassurance. Provide an 8 year /100K or 8 year/200K service and warranty plan at a more discounted rate. I'd probably buy it. Tesla probably doesn't know what the service and repair costs will be in years 5-8, it could be the most reliable car ever built, or it could be very expensive. If Tesla is in year 5, we'd have the S, X, Gen III rolling out, 130K+ cars on the road.

The first 5000-10000 cars that helped finance the company out of the red will offset any cost differences by all the new cars and service plans being sold (hint: raise the price and roll the service plan into the price). By then, they should have a more accurate view of costs and maintenance associated with the vehicle and they would have re-engineered certain parts to better longevity.

I keep my cars for awhile, I don't go out and buy the latest and greatest every 3-4 years. If it costs $600 per 12.5K miles or 12 months, Tesla has brought fear, uncertainty and doubt into my analytical brain on the costs beyond 4yrs and 50K miles. We're essentially beta testing a new platform and costs are unknown. Tesla can either play it safe, overprice the service to worst case scenarios, or they can share the risk and know future volume of cars will offset any losses.

From my perspective buying a $100,000+ Signature Model S and balking at the buying the $475/year service plan is like buying an expensive house in a flood plane and balking at buying flood insurance.
No, it's more like buying a house in a flood plain that has been extensively marketed as being "designed for floods with tons of improvements to withstand flood waters" and then being told that you have to buy flood insurance and that it costs the same or more than to insure a regular house. And in Tesla's case those two statements would come in the same blog post. Did anyone actually read Joost's post before it was sent out? And if so, no one thought it was weird to say, Model S requires way less maintenance than an ICE because it has fewer moving parts and then a few lines later advertise a maintenance plan that costs more than I've ever spent on an ICE for the first for 4 years of ownership?

Edit: Others posted similar thoughts - should have read to the end of the thread before posting :redface:

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, I talked to a service tech today and asked how much work the annual is for the Model S. He said there's not much that has to be done at the 12.5k that is separate from warranty issues. He said it's a lot easier than a Roadster. He did mention that I might have a hard time flushing brake fluid because the only way he knew of to turn off the E-brake, which has a whole separate system, was with the service computer.
Hmm. So the e-brake should be able to be disengaged by turning the car on and putting the car into neutral (or perhaps it has a "Tow Mode" like the Roadster). And then even though you can't exercise the e-brake w/o a service computer you should be able to use a pressure bleeder on the reservoir to push fluid through the system. Interesting stuff. This is why I want to do my own maintenance! :p

Last edited:
Regardless of "fairness," the "required maintenance for additional fee" policy is really dumb marketing and reveals an error in pricing. They should have been absolutely silent on this issue, other than to announce the cost of service at first service interval. They should bump price a bit next year and justify it, in part, by bundling in 50K miles of free maintenance in order to match best-in-class BMW policy. At that time, they should retroactively give the service package for free to all 85KwH cars previously sold and half price for 60kwH. Everyone is happy.

In contrast, they dumbly poked their best friends (early adopters) in the eye with a sharp stick.

I will just say flatly that it is disingenuous of Tesla to:
- Repeatedly say maintenance costs of EVs are lower than ICE vehicles then price maintenance arguably the same/more than many ICE vehicles first 50K service.
- Offer to replace consumables as a benefit when at the 12.5K and 25K these consumables will not need replacing
- Not disclose pricing for the 50K+ service levels. Who knows, each one of us could get a rude awakening with a $5000 a year required service to keep the battery under warranty
- Include the justification that software updates are part of this as well when the car is being delivered feature incomplete
- Expect the people who are making the company possible carry all the weight of making it profitable.

I agree.

If unaltered, I plan to request that my consumables be replaced at every inspection, regardless of whether they need replacement. After all, I will have paid for this service.

The still as of yet unpublished warranty stipulations beyond 4 years and cost of internet service have me hovering over my "defer button" whenever it arrives.

I could write a book about how I feel about this mandatory maintenance instead I decided to ask for my order to be cancelled. Tesla rep emailed if you really can't stomach the cost of servicing model S and want to walk away from your reservation give me a call...Sadly after waiting all this time I cancelled.

I could write a book about how I feel about this mandatory maintenance instead I decided to ask for my order to be cancelled. Tesla rep emailed if you really can't stomach the cost of servicing model S and want to walk away from your reservation give me a call...Sadly after waiting all this time I cancelled.
If the base price had been $2000 more and Tesla gave 4 years free maintenance, would that be any different to you?

Was having a drink after work with a very level-headed colleague (who drives a Toyota Corolla with almost 200,000 miles on it), and mentioned that Tesla was looking to charge me $2,400 for 4 years/50,000 miles -- which covers everything that might go wrong for whatever reason, including towing, and provide service at my house whenever possible. Without missing a beat, he said "that's a no-brainer."

Just a data point from a neutral third party.

Was having a drink after work with a very level-headed colleague (who drives a Toyota Corolla with almost 200,000 miles on it), and mentioned that Tesla was looking to charge me $2,400 for 4 years/50,000 miles -- which covers everything that might go wrong for whatever reason, including towing, and provide service at my house whenever possible. Without missing a beat, he said "that's a no-brainer."

Interesting way of looking at it.

tumblr_lltzgnHi5F1qzib3wo1_400.jpg

I've brought this up before but for those living close to a service center, it doesn't have to be $600/year if you prepay and don't need unlimited Ranger visits. It can be $475/year which is a little better.

I've brought this up before but for those living close to a service center, it doesn't have to be $600/year if you prepay and don't need unlimited Ranger visits. It can be $475/year which is a little better.

So, I've asked myself the question (living about 8 miles from the service center -- in busy, busy Chicago), would it be worth it to me for $125/y to have Tesla come out to me for the annual service? Could it possibly be done that way if you live near a service center (that is, have Rangers come out for the annual service)?

So, I've asked myself the question (living about 8 miles from the service center -- in busy, busy Chicago), would it be worth it to me for $125/y to have Tesla come out to me for the annual service? Could it possibly be done that way if you live near a service center (that is, have Rangers come out for the annual service)?

You could but I'd just take it there if you are able to since they will do your wheel alignment in the service center but not at your house.

You might have left out some key pieces of data when you asked the question. What my level headed friends say to paying $2400 extra for a car that was marketed as basically not really needing traditional maintenance at all, is being delivered feature incomplete and the manufacurer will not supply long term service cost information for the 50K+ mile mark. Their answer is the same, it is a no-brainer, don't do it.

- - - Updated - - -

Just for clarification. Were you locked in and had signed and turned in the MVPA or did you just have a deposit down in the car?

Last edited: