Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

We Don't Need No Stinking Badges

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla owner, long time Tesla investor, EV driver since 2007. What is it that you think is "not known"?

Oh, wow. Just realized you click-baited your own article. Pretty sure you need to sign up as a sponsor for TMC for that. I'll let the mods decide.

But coming back - name one example of Tesla reducing their battery pack size in the past after gaining other efficiencies?

I'll be right over here, on the edge of my seat.

So basically leaving out 3-4 cells somewhere? That seems like such a stupid idea. I am 100% sure that it a) doesn't work in most cases and b) that the complexity of changing the SW and especially the tooling would be more expensive, than the little bit of cost savings.
1% of ~4000 cells is 40 cells, not 3 or 4. The system designed to be able to tolerate when cells fail. They have "blanks" that fill the gaps if/when they opt to reduce the cell count. So no SW or tooling changes are needed. When you are making 10,000 cars per week, a %1 reduction is 400,000 cells saved per week and ~20 million per year. That's doesn't seem so stupid.

1% of ~4000 cells is 40 cells, not 3 or 4. The system designed to be able to tolerate when cells fail. They have "blanks" that fill the gaps if/when they opt to reduce the cell count. So no SW or tooling changes are needed. When you are making 10,000 cars per week, a %1 reduction is 400,000 cells saved per week and ~20 million per year. That's doesn't seem so stupid.

Sorry I meant to say 3-4 cells per brick. And of course they will need a tooling change to switch from just putting in cells, to also filling it with blanks. And since those blanks don't need wiring, they need to change tooling for the wiring, too. And if you do that with every little iteration, just to keep range exactly the same, you're going to go crazy.

And in the end you just have saved 20 million a year, which is pretty much peanuts. That's what it costs to employ maybe 100 Engineers, which you need to change the wiring machines software, adjust the BMS, find some pattern where the blanks fit best and of course the biggest part, get to that 1% improvement and figure out how many cells you can leave out to keep range the same, which probably isn't even really possible, since the LR pack only has 31 cells per brick. So you can only go in roughly 3% increments.

So it's a zero sum game at best.

• Disagree
Reactions: deonb and Runt8
Tesla can reduce the pack capacity by a similar 1%.

They do know that the badge doesn't match the actual capacity, right? Tesla could have changed the pack capacity any number of times without changing the badging. In fact, where is it explicitly stated by Tesla that the badge has anything to do with the battery capacity (A Porsche 911 doesn't have 911 of anything does it?).

The 'disagree' was meant for the quote btw.

Thank you kindly

The point was/is that they could be taking a new path with the Model 3. "just because they've never done it" does not mean it isn't smart for them to do it this time.

It's not smart. It's simpler for them to have fewer production options. And they've shown that many times with the 40, then the revised 60 then the 75 etc. The money they save with a cell here or there is peanuts compared to the cost and complexity of creating multiple types of batteries, and then having to service multiple types of batteries. Should a service center be stocking a 100 types of batteries with all the combinations and permutations of changes they've made over the years?

personally, i like that there's no badging the model 3's. it goes with the simplicity of the car. but it will be cool to see people customizing and badging their own. It also guides people to focus on the more important issue, range, not battery size. other cars can have the same battery size but they're not as efficient so they get less range

Reactions: Topher