Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Well, luck finally caught up with me... Main pack failed...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree on the power train warranty. I a considering the extended, but $4500 for a warranty is hard to swallow when I know I will exceed it's mileage in another 1 to 1 1/2 years. though that might make the difference between a functioning car and a paperweight...

- - - Updated - - -

yah , I know I should get the extended. If it was still the $2500 it was when I ordered, it would be a lot easier. I don't want this to turn into a shudda cudda woulda
And unfortunately, the extended warranty has significantly less value to you with the rate you put on mileage since you'll chew up the extra 50,000 miles of coverage much faster than the 4 extra years.

>vastly since my lowly # 9846

wow I'm even lowlier than you 8293 60kWh. 16k miles now and no issues except for all coolant pumps replaced, knock on wood. Good thing I had gotten the extended warranty when it was 2,500 I would feel the same about driving this out of warranty. Hope you get your car back soon and Tesla can figure out the root cause of this and the motor/inverter replacement issue.

Does anybody know of a case where someone with a dead 60kwh, under warranty, was able to have an 85kwh put in and charged the difference?

You'd also gain the unlimited mileage aspect of the battery warranty. If you already paid for Supercharging on a 60 (assuming they will give credit for that), and are looking at buying more warranty, the $$$'s could come out close.

Anyway, I hope you are up and running soon. You're youtube videos are most informative/detailed, and numerous, I have found. Thanks

Yep. This is the same thought process I went through. The extended warranty will only cover 50-100k miles. That's not a very large window for those of us who plan to drive these cars for a long time. I've decided that if I have problems with the drive unit after 50k miles, I'll drop the subframe and repair the thing myself, just like I would be doing at 101k miles anyway.

I am in the same boat as Kman. I drive a lot miles every year. I always keep my cars 100,000+ miles (even as far as 250,000 in my old SAAB). The high degree of drive train failures has me very worried. I would like to be able to work on the car myself, but would Tesla even sell you the parts? Will they open up the diagnostic screens?

For a long term usable vehicle, I may have made a terrible choice in buying a Tesla. I hope I am wrong about that. I hope Tesla will do the right thing and stand behind their product, even past the 50,000 mile warranty (at least for drive train). I feel that the battery warranty should be a drive train warranty (battery and drive unit). Especially considering the drive train and battery (or at least contactors) fail together typically.

Thus far, I have had one drive unit replaced due to noise, during an annual inspection. I was surprised because I didn't ask them to and had been driving it with the milling sound for about 15,000 miles and thought it was more or less normal.

Good luck Kman, I hope you get your baby back quickly and with more range :)

As long as my battery holds out I will carry the torch for you in keeping track of rated range over the life of the vehicle. At 27,000 miles the last time I did a range charge I was still getting a solid 208 miles.

What are you making into a youtube video? The breakdown of your Model S?
Yes, the whole thing, from being stranded on the side of the road to getting my car back. Showing the kind of service I received in a emergency situation, to how fast the repair is, to the overall service one can expect from Tesla.

- - - Updated - - -

I am in the same boat as Kman. I drive a lot miles every year. I always keep my cars 100,000+ miles (even as far as 250,000 in my old SAAB). The high degree of drive train failures has me very worried. I would like to be able to work on the car myself, but would Tesla even sell you the parts? Will they open up the diagnostic screens?

For a long term usable vehicle, I may have made a terrible choice in buying a Tesla. I hope I am wrong about that. I hope Tesla will do the right thing and stand behind their product, even past the 50,000 mile warranty (at least for drive train). I feel that the battery warranty should be a drive train warranty (battery and drive unit). Especially considering the drive train and battery (or at least contactors) fail together typically.

Thus far, I have had one drive unit replaced due to noise, during an annual inspection. I was surprised because I didn't ask them to and had been driving it with the milling sound for about 15,000 miles and thought it was more or less normal.

Good luck Kman, I hope you get your baby back quickly and with more range :)

As long as my battery holds out I will carry the torch for you in keeping track of rated range over the life of the vehicle. At 27,000 miles the last time I did a range charge I was still getting a solid 208 miles.
Thanks. And we will need to get together regularly, and have "Rated Range" parties.

Yes, the whole thing, from being stranded on the side of the road to getting my car back. Showing the kind of service I received in a emergency situation, to how fast the repair is, to the overall service one can expect from Tesla.

Careful not to record anyone in California without their expressed permission! California law requires a person consent to being recorded ... would hate to see you get in trouble inadvertently.

All I'm saying is that I didn't find a single thing where the choice was to NOT pay insurance/extended warranty vs. take a risk on paying out some large amount. The choice is always to pay some money up front vs. paying a very large bill. If you can afford to pay the very large bill and you think the odds are low, then skip the insurance/warranty. If you can't afford the big bill, then budget in the insurance/warranty. Part of the TCO for anything, not just a Model S or Roadster.

I can afford to pay the large bill, but what if I don't believe in it? These are high costs, so early on in a car's life. "Worth its weight in gold"? I believe in self-insuring, and put it upon the manufacturer to provide service at reasonable cost. These costs don't look reasonable, when major assemblies have to come out, so that the connection to a 12V battery can get fixed, for instance. Am I wrong, here? And how is it others can say that an inability to field-repair is a virtue, or evolutionary versus ICE?

The problem I start to see, reading this thread, is it seems Tesla and its customers are content charging for, and buying, insurance rather than reducing problems. Generally, the belief in insurance tends to raise the costs for the insured and uninsured. The seller makes out quite well, when the opportunity to spend (relatively less) extra money is considered "gold". You don't have to look too far at the economy to see this, and the inefficiency it brings with it.

I wouldn't want to be made an example of, as an out of warranty Model S owner. Instead, I'd rather Tesla not see expensive repairs as an opportunity, and that they instead get to fixing them, efficiently. Feeling like a minority.

Careful not to record anyone in California without their expressed permission! California law requires a person consent to being recorded ... would hate to see you get in trouble inadvertently.
I think this statement is incorrect as long as the video was made in a public place and there was no reasonable expectation of privacy in any conversation that was recorded. If the recording is used as part of something for profit like an advertisement, there may well be consent issues, but for something like YouTube it's my understanding that there isn't an issue. If there were, that would essentially stop all public videoing.

Do you have any references for your statement?

It would be no different than repairing other types of electronics. Tesla buys all of their silicone transistors, capacitors, etc. Diagnosis is usually made by Tesla, but is NOT impossible without the diagnostic screens. It all depends on how cooperative they want to be. This is one aspect of the direct model being inferior to dealerships, because I can walk into any dealership and get ANY part for a 1 year old vehicle.

I can afford to pay the large bill, but what if I don't believe in it? These are high costs, so early on in a car's life. "Worth its weight in gold"? I believe in self-insuring, and put it upon the manufacturer to provide service at reasonable cost. These costs don't look reasonable, when major assemblies have to come out, so that the connection to a 12V battery can get fixed, for instance. Am I wrong, here? And how is it others can say that an inability to field-repair is a virtue, or evolutionary versus ICE?

The problem I start to see, reading this thread, is it seems Tesla and its customers are content charging for, and buying, insurance rather than reducing problems. Generally, the belief in insurance tends to raise the costs for the insured and uninsured. The seller makes out quite well, when the opportunity to spend (relatively less) extra money is considered "gold". You don't have to look too far at the economy to see this, and the inefficiency it brings with it.

I wouldn't want to be made an example of, as an out of warranty Model S owner. Instead, I'd rather Tesla not see expensive repairs as an opportunity, and that they instead get to fixing them, efficiently. Feeling like a minority.
This is pretty much how I feel. You can't really say that this model is better than dealerships, but then deny sales of, or charge extraordinary amounts for parts. Below is an example of this. If anyone can work on these cars, it's Otmar, and Tesla recently refused to sell parts to him. I'm really surprised that the dealership lobby uses silly and ridiculous examples of why dealers are better, but doesn't use a legitimate one. This really shows how incompetent the dealership model has become.

Stretchla Blog | Stretched Vanagon Westfalia shell on a Tesla platform

- - - Updated - - -

Additionally, the main pack is covered under a separate, guaranteed warranty that has nothing to do with ESA. It would not help out islandbayy in his situation one iota.
You are right. Although I think that he was also worried about the drive unit in the future, since it's been reported to cost $15k.

I can afford to pay the large bill, but what if I don't believe in it? These are high costs, so early on in a car's life. "Worth its weight in gold"? I believe in self-insuring, and put it upon the manufacturer to provide service at reasonable cost. These costs don't look reasonable, when major assemblies have to come out, so that the connection to a 12V battery can get fixed, for instance. Am I wrong, here? And how is it that an inability to field-repair is a virtue, or evolutionary versus ICE?

I do believe that Tesla likes to swap out whole assemblies such as complete battery packs and drive units to assist in quick and straight forward repairs. Somewhat of a situation analogous to replacing a whole engine because a spark plug failed. In the unique case of the Tesla, it's easier for them to simply swap out the components and get the car back on the road instead of making specific repairs.

What everyone is trying to figure out is does this model help us customers or hurt us when it comes to out of warrenty repairs. For example: the contactor gets fried in the battery. The battery as a whole is likely just fine. Can it be repaired without sending back to tesla? I think so, based on some threads posted here on TMC showing the insides of the battery. But will they? Or, will they charge us $35,000 for a new or refurbished battery? Which would be fine if they give us $34,500 as a core exchange. Otherwise I would rather just spend the labor to repair the $100 contactor that actually failed.

My other big concern is that a failure in one component can cascade down the line on many other components. Such as an inverter problem ruining the battery. Two big buck items. Which one failed first? who knows. Who is responsible for what? I dunno. If my drive unit fails at 60K miles and takes out the battery, is the battery warrantied? Is the Drive Unit warrantied? A lot of questions and very few answers from Tesla.

I would really like Tesla to be more transparent about there service, especially out of warranty service. A lot of customers like me are burning through the warranties quickly. What happens next? Who can work on my car, only Telsa?

I recall Elon Musk forcefully stating that service should not be a profit center. I hope that means I can get my Tesla serviced at cost.

This is pretty much how I feel. You can't really say that this model is better than dealerships, but then deny sales of, or charge extraordinary amounts for parts. Below is an example of this. If anyone can work on these cars, it's Otmar, and Tesla recently refused to sell parts to him. I'm really surprised that the dealership lobby uses silly and ridiculous examples of why dealers are better, but doesn't use a legitimate one. This really shows how incompetent the dealership model has become.

Stretchla Blog | Stretched Vanagon Westfalia shell on a Tesla platform

I found Otmar's blog/response one of the more reasoned musings on what is going on. He's right (as are many here). Two sides to the coin and kudos to him for understanding why Tesla was probably doing what they're doing - and yes, someone like Otmar SHOULD be able to get his parts. Hopefully as things mature, this will all sort out. (Which is his approach, too.)

I would really like Tesla to be more transparent about there service, especially out of warranty service. A lot of customers like me are burning through the warranties quickly. What happens next?
This is pretty much the problem. It always goes back to poor communication on Tesla's part. This isn't anything new, and the topic has been beat to death here. I have been treated very fairly by Tesla, and have no complaints, but I know of some who haven't. Since every SC is different, the results vary greatly.