Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the average Wh/mi you are getting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
RWD at 1500 miles with aeros, 260 wh/mi lifetime on the dot. I do not drive hard and regen efficiently. Unfortunately I live in Orlando FL where it's been 100+ degrees all summer and my daily commute is on a horrible corridor for traffic, forcing more extreme braking. On cooler days and less dense traffic routes I easily get <220 with A/C still blasting.

I'm currently sitting at about 2250 miles. Average for the first 2000 is just a tad above 230. The first 400 miles there were a LOT of rapid accelerations and 0-60 attempts, and through the first few rounds of software updates.

I know that on a longer trip, basically flat surface that getting 200 wh/mile at ca. 65 mph is totally doable. On some more recent trips, when traveling at speed, following another car at the 2 or 3 (seconds) follow pace, I lock in at about 185 wh/mile. This level would represent nearly 5.5 miles per watt and at arguably 77 KW total pack ranges of over 350 should be totally achievable on longer trips.

Startup acceleration is a total killing, using nearly 700-800 wh/mile levels of energy. But at speed with the Aero and low AC use getting to 200 wh/mile or below is realistic.

I'm going to do another trip south from the Bay Area, up over the grape vine and down to Palm Springs. Looking forward to seeing how the car can perform. Certainly at 75-80 mph average, overall energy use will be higher.

Looking forward to the Energy Meter on v9, I am hoping it makes a better driver out of me. Though I do tend to let the car drive itself. Still, I'll be able to better tell how many car lengths back I should set the car to drive for best economy, and how much worse is it to bump up by one or two MPH. Just did my first 83 MPH i5 round trip to LA instead of driving the coast. Definitely took a hit on my Lifetime ODO.

-Randy

• Helpful
Reactions: Snerruc
I'm at 307 after 220 miles, awd with 19" wheels. I've done some spirited driving but I think the main reason for the poor numbers is I have a pretty hilly commute. The elevation profile for it looks like a huge "V" so I imagine that hurts the efficiency a bit.

I think I only saw a few Performance owners report in, but I'm pretty consistently above 300 Wh/mi. after about 600 miles. No highway trips yet; standard regen & mostly chill mode; A/C is on.
Are any P3D+ owners able to consistently get below 300? It's probably extra-tough in this vehicle, since it's sooo quick, and that temptation is always there. :)

I think I only saw a few Performance owners report in, but I'm pretty consistently above 300 Wh/mi. after about 600 miles. No highway trips yet; standard regen & mostly chill mode; A/C is on.
Are any P3D+ owners able to consistently get below 300? It's probably extra-tough in this vehicle, since it's sooo quick, and that temptation is always there. :)
The weight is one thing, but it can't be a 20% hit. It's probably closer to 7%. Frankly, I think it has to be somehow related to the frequency of more spirited off the line and in ranges acceleration. It's doesn't have to be alarming 0-60 or 20-50 launches to show off, just that as a % of regular driving that moving of the mass piece of the energy expenditure is significant.

I can offset the weight difference just by putting in a passenger and my wh/mile don't go up by much. 5-10, not 50.

I would challenge any of the P3D owners to put the car in Chill and drive it for a week and see where the wh/mile number land.

Is this good? Daily commuter. Aero caps off

Attachments

• 69FBD4AF-1E58-4656-9D9A-33B6E5317C02.jpeg
    69FBD4AF-1E58-4656-9D9A-33B6E5317C02.jpeg
    687.1 KB · Views: 85
Reactions: israndy
Just passed 7100 miles today and my average has dropped slightly. Was 247Wh/mi not too long ago but it’s dropped down to 245Wh/mi. Hopefully it continues to go down. I’ve got the RWD with 18” wheels aero covers removed. I still drive like a maniac at times, flooring it a lot at traffic lights. Average around 75-80 on highways.

Reactions: Snerruc
P3D+ with 20-inch wheel, the commute is mostly highway driving around 70-80 miles/hr, 302 wh/mi, for total of about 600 miles. Not great but seems to be getting better as I get more mileage. It was like 350 wh/mi before. I guess there is lot of room for improvement for now but my commutes are with elevation changes with lots of hills.

I did a road trip to Stowe the weekend I got mine, and trying to get out of Manhattan with the AircCon on it went into the 500's. When I finally got on the highway, I was doing 75mph+ (we went via Mexico...) and it was more like 330/340.

However on the way back, I was very disciplined in doing 66/68mph, and yes most traffic overtakes you even though the limit is 65, and easily got 260/270 with minimal AirCon at those speeds. The % charge at the Supercharger I was aiming for in Connecticut went from 18% estimate, to 26% over about 200 miles. So the car was a lot more efficient that it thought it would be.

It's definitely possible - I would not want to get into a hyper-mile competition with a RWD with 18 inch aeros, but driving style is really the vast majority of the difference, as well as speed, elevation and HVAC,