Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What’s the dumbest thing you’ve heard about EVs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I picked up my M3, The Tesla rep who demonstrated the car said: "When you close the frunk, you want to press directly on the T right in the middle" (The manual shows a big red square where the T is), "The window glass will break if you ever use the emergency door handle" (It doesn't) and when I asked if I could charge before I left.. "No, the super chargers over there are for the service center, I could go ask for you but those aren't for customers" (They were open to public).

• Love
Reactions: Leafdriver333
him: Why do you stop to charge it? Why not just put generators on the wheels and keep going?

me: Because generators consume more energy than they produce. It would reduce my range.

him: You're stuck in the old days. New generators are much more efficient.

me: Probably true, but not so efficient that they make more energy than it takes to turn them.

him: Well, you also probably think that I'm suggesting putting them on the drive wheels. Nope! You'd put them on the wheels that are otherwise just spinning and wasting all that energy.

I wish I were kidding.
Wow the perpetual energy clowns are finding new material.

• Funny
Reactions: APotatoGod
Omg
I just had someone ask how many rechargeable AA batteries it needs and isn’t it a pain to crawl under to change them every week. :eek:

I thought she was joking , but was dead serious.
Showed the charge port and she then thought that’s how I recharge those AA batteries.
Had to explain that it comes with an industrial grade battery installed.

Not wanna stereotype.... southern california blonde.

Isn't that kind of true?
It is in the back of every EV owners mind

So yeah I was a little nervous, bought a software limited 60D, one year later after price reduction got the 75D,
was at like 45K when I did, range at 90% WAS 360 km. A year later was still 360, now at 102KM still 360. (as long as it's not like freezing).
So really not seeing ANY range degradation. I'm sure it will come, driving 40K+ a year, but not terribly worried. Even 10 Percent in 10 years seems unlikely now.

Let us not forget this classic thread.
Jeez. Thanks for wasting all that time for me! Like the scene of a good crash, I just couldn't look away. In the past four years (far more often in the last 20 as EVs were involved) I've been in more of these sort of conversations than I can count. Part of the reason was my EVnut.com page that was quite popular back in the 2000's... folks would seek me out to ask my advice, and similar questions of "how many generators would it take to power my car while I'm driving!?" The one thing they all had in common was the accusation that I was going through life with blinders on, never thinking "outside the box."

Amazing to me is how so many smart folks were willing to chime in with *real* answers on that thread... seemingly without initially realizing where this was all headed.

Until that fateful question: I'm scared to ask what will be powering the generators?

All from the same guy (window tinter). They really do good work though, just couldn't quite grasp the EV concept...

Guy: Is this an electric car?
Me: Yep, all electric.
Guy: How many cylinders does it have?
Me: None. It doesn't have an engine, only two electric motors and a big battery.
Guy: Oh, wow! . . . So how big is the gas tank?
Me: It doesn't have one, it only has electric motors and a battery pack.
Guy: OK, but, like, how many spark plugs does it have?
Me: Here, I'll pop the hood and you can check it out. [POP] See, no engine, just a small extra trunk and no engine.
Guy: [CRICKETS]

He then got called away to do something. I don't know whether he ever did get the concept of an EV.

When I've gone to EV events, this is what happens when I open the hood for folks to see the power train...

21740658_10155146680564069_1007421333233649533_n.jpg

(I found them on Amazon. They're actually battery powered, too...)

Omg
I just had someone ask how many rechargeable AA batteries it needs and isn’t it a pain to crawl under to change them every week. :eek:

I thought she was joking , but was dead serious.
Showed the charge port and she then thought that’s how I recharge those AA batteries.
Had to explain that it comes with an industrial grade battery installed.

Not wanna stereotype.... southern california blonde.
She must have seen this commercial

One more (sorry, I've been at this a long time!).

First the setup.... I bought my Toyota Rav4EV in 2002 from a local dealer (one of 25 dealers in the world that sold them!) About a year in, I was having trouble with the AC unit, and it turned out that the coolant level installed at the factory was not correct. So I drove it to the dealer where I purchased it, and an employee of that dealership (again... from where it was purchased, at a rare, EV-expert dealership) came over to chat while I waited in the service line. Of course this is pretty early on the modern "production" EV timeline.

him: How do you like it? Electric, right?

Me: Yup. It is my second EV so there aren't many surprises. While I miss my EV1, this car is much more refined and more practical. As a family car, it has been working great for us.

him: I know it is electric, but I've always wondered... what sort of mileage to you really get?

me: [pause - ??? - guessing at the right answer] Best range on one charge I've gotten is about 120 miles.

him: No, I know all that. I mean how many miles per gallon? I know it's good, but what do you really get? <implied conspiratorial wink>

me: ?? There's no engine. It doesn't use gas. It is electric.

him: I know. Everybody says it is electric, and nobody wants to admit that the mileage isn't as good as Toyota says.

me: It is electric. It has no gas tank. There's no way to use the gas even if it had a gas tank!

him: <comical, quizzical, incredulous look>

me: Seriously. No engine, no gas tank. It has batteries and an electric motor. I charge the batteries. There's no way to put gas in it.

him: I know it gets good gas mileage. I just wanted to know....

me: [seriously, I am NOT making this up!] It really has no way to burn gas. It has no gas tank... if it does have a gas tank, I haven't put gas in it since buying it. So far I've gone 11,000 miles on whatever was in it when I bought it.

At this point I invited him to actually FIND the gas tank filler. When the service guy came out and I parted ways with my new friend, I was left with the impression that he still didn't believe me... like I was being sarcastic. I think that I confirmed for him that the owners of Toyota Hybrids (note that was only the PRIUS at this point) would never admit that their gas mileage was less than the EPA rating.

him: Why do you stop to charge it? Why not just put generators on the wheels and keep going?

me: Because generators consume more energy than they produce. It would reduce my range.

him: You're stuck in the old days. New generators are much more efficient.

me: Probably true, but not so efficient that they make more energy than it takes to turn them.

him: Well, you also probably think that I'm suggesting putting them on the drive wheels. Nope! You'd put them on the wheels that are otherwise just spinning and wasting all that energy.

I wish I were kidding.

HUGE net time savings. Sure there are some people who insist that filling an ICE car takes 2 minutes, but they are idiots. I'll take my 10 minutes a week savings and take a 1 hour hit on my long trips twice a year.

Here are my calculations for comparisons:

Drive 14,000 miles/year and 2 to 3 long trips per year.

In an ICE, at 30 mpg and between 15-16 gallons/tank = approximately 30 fill ups in a year. Driving from home to gas station and back (9 minutes each way = 18 minutes) plus 2 minutes to fill up (very optimistic as there is usually a wait of 10-15 minutes) = 20 minutes per fill up or a total of 10 hours used to fill up the car.

In my Model 3, I normally charge at home or work while sleeping or working. Time spent plugging in is negligible. I am conservatively spending 2 hours extra (round trip) per long trip - so could take 5 of these per year to be the same as ICE.

I'll just call it a wash in wasted time. Although many may perceive the extra hours spent on a long trip as more valuable than the 20 minutes spent on a regular basis as they forget about what they lost during the year.