Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What do you do when you have a flat tire on a MX

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience with a blowout: Tire Blow Out!

well, make sure you bring one of these Home made jack pad for Model S or this
puck.jpg
, so the incompetent person changing your tires jack up your car at the proper jack points without hitting the battery pack.

Jack points are clearly shown in the manual. The manual is in the manual section in the center console. I suggest to check it if you haven't.
Also manufacturers don't recommend plugging or patching low profile tires. That's why tire shops refuse to plug such low profile tires. Some do without skills and without considering risks. Some don't plug but apply patch from the inside and apply heat to cure. I heard from experts that the latter is better for durability.

So if you got nails near sidewall, you just ask for tow and change to a new tire. If you got nails in the tread area and you have a good tire shop that patches from the inside with heat, you can get it fixed there. If you only have places to plug your tires, you can still have them fix it but I would replace the tire in a few days. If your tire shops say they won't fix and you have no tire plugs, just call the tow to the Tesla Service Center or Tire Shop for a new tire.

I know this might be a dumb question, but since the Model X doesn't have a spare tire, how do I deal with a flat when I'm on a road trip? What does everybody else carry in their trunk in the event of a flat?

Reason I ask is because I got home today and found a screw in one of my tires which was leaking air fast. Luckily I live 10 minutes from the SC, and limped there so that I wouldn't have to tow my car the next morning. Not sure what I would do, though, if I was on a road trip.

You call Tesla Road Side Service. Get the number and put it in your phone. Few of us carry a spare.
Remember those days a few years ago when you could not pull something small and electronic out of your purse or pocket and reach out and touch someone without walking to a payphone? Well, thank goodness those days have changed. Now we pull out our cell phone and call someone. Tesla Road Side Service will fix you up.

Few cars have spare tires any more. I think Tesla gives you a can of fix-a-flat. Tires are much better than they used to be, when flats were common. And as Akikiki notes, a cell phone is your friend. I'd happily forfeit some cargo space to have a spare, if it could be stored out of the way, as they were when cars always had one.

Reactions: S'toon and Akikiki
Don't forget, with a tire you also need a jack - something else Tesla doesn't supply. I'll be curious how they'll deal with this with the Model 3. Ranger service wouldn't be able to handle the load for very long.

I don't think Tesla Roadside Assistance was ever limited to just service by Rangers. I imagine it's something like AAA. Either they contract with service stations, or they just call one near you. The Model 3 will be just like all the other cars that don't have a spare. For a limited time they'll call someone to fix it. After that, you call someone. I have a couple of roadside service places in my phone. And that can of fix-a-flat which is probably out of date by now.

That can of fix a flat had to be purchased by me. It was not just given. I think in some states it is required by law but not this one.

Also, it should only be used in extreme emergencies. First off, it won't work if you have the new style "silent" tires that have a thick foam attached to the inside. Second, it will ruin the air pressure sensor in that wheel.

I don't think Tesla Roadside Assistance was ever limited to just service by Rangers. I imagine it's something like AAA. Either they contract with service stations, or they just call one near you. The Model 3 will be just like all the other cars that don't have a spare. For a limited time they'll call someone to fix it. After that, you call someone. I have a couple of roadside service places in my phone. And that can of fix-a-flat which is probably out of date by now.

My concern about that is whether the guy that shows up knows enough of the implication of placing the jack in the wrong place. That said, it's probably the same thing for the owner of a Tesla that doesn't get down on hands and knees to see what they're doing. Still, some of us like to be a bit more independent rather than waiting around for someone who's going to cost money.

My concern about that is whether the guy that shows up knows enough of the implication of placing the jack in the wrong place. That said, it's probably the same thing for the owner of a Tesla that doesn't get down on hands and knees to see what they're doing. Still, some of us like to be a bit more independent rather than waiting around for someone who's going to cost money.

If you know where to put the jack (I don't) you can tell the guy who comes out. But ever since they started putting those little "doughnut" spare tires in cars I've been saying it's really crummy not to provide a full-size spare. And now no spare at all is even worse.

Statistics are funny.

I used my spare tire once in 10 years of owning my previous car (and it was in the last couple of months of owning it before I got the Tesla).

I missed having a spare within the first week of owning the Tesla (slow leak requiring a tow, overnight storage, and a repair the next day due to a lack of extra spares in the SF region)...

:(

Two incidents within 3 or 4 months would lead me to believe that spares are essential, but compare that to years of never needing one.

Other statistical anomalies for me - 21 years of owning German cars and never once stranded, then stranded in my first week of owning a Japanese car.

It's not me, it's the cars. OK, maybe it's me...

So do like many of us have and buy a jack and a plug kit.

What do you do when you have a flat tire on a MX

Statistics are funny.

I used my spare tire once in 10 years of owning my previous car (and it was in the last couple of months of owning it before I got the Tesla).

I missed having a spare within the first week of owning the Tesla (slow leak requiring a tow, overnight storage, and a repair the next day due to a lack of extra spares in the SF region)...

:(

Two incidents within 3 or 4 months would lead me to believe that spares are essential, but compare that to years of never needing one.

Other statistical anomalies for me - 21 years of owning German cars and never once stranded, then stranded in my first week of owning a Japanese car.

It's not me, it's the cars. OK, maybe it's me...

I drove for 30 years and never had a flat or even a leak, so no need for a spare. Ironically, I did have two screws in two different tires of my Tesla within the first two months. Both were very slow leaks. One was repairable, one needed to be replaced.